Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

If the question is can you have romance with superheroes, well we saw how long the Parker Marriage lasted and that certainly had a lot of romance genre elements to it, even if writers weren't actively trying to sell on that idea. Then there was the time before with the Fantastic four when Sue and Reed weren't married and the courtship between the two was played up (wouldn't mind having a romance book with those two in the lead). As for right now, one of the biggest selling books and certainly has a large fandom is Sailor Moon, which relies on the idea of love and romance being a key element in the over all story along with the lead characters being seen as superheroes as well.

Manga does certainly sell to women because in a lot of cases the writers don't shy away from the idea of an end couple in some cases. Naruto, for example, even though a majority of the story focuses on Naruto and Sasuke's story, there's a large element in there about the feelings that the led three characters go through. That's nothing to say about Avatar the last Air bender.

Let's not forget that JRSr. was brought on to spiderman due to the fact that prior he had been drawing Romance comics and knew how to make the characters look really good. Saga right now is in the top spot, and isn't that majorly a scifi romance in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Supposedly Inhumans: Attilan Rising is a romance in that it deals with Black Bolt and Medusa's relationship and potentially reconciling their marriage, and was the "romance" thing Charles Soule was working on.

And I recall Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde being referred to as in the same vein as a romantic comedy, so that's another romance book in Secret Wars.

But yeah, as a big romance fan I'd definitely love it if we saw a straightforward book in that genre from Marvel. I mean, romance is often an important element or subplot in Superhero comics, but they often aren't a major focus of the book. What I wouldn't give to see Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane come back .
    I'm all for those books that you mentioned, but are they being billed as such? I can't remember. And Yes I would love a spiderman loves MJ book to come back! I thought that was a good idea and the fact is a good portion of readership would be okay with reading a bit of a slice of life meets superheroics. I mean if TV shows are anything to go by or the fact that YA books are outselling most adult novels then you'd think that, you know, Marvel would go "Maybe there's something here?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    Manga sells mostly to women, there's been a decrease japanese male readership. So does romance.

You mentioned no horror or mystic books. Walking dead is an zombie suvivoral comic not a horror book.
    Zombie survival I count more as survival in general rather then straight up horror. You would think Marvel would want to try to have maybe a group of the magic users in Marvel team up. That would make for an interesting book covering all sorts of things that the normal books can't cover. JIM sort of worked with this a bit.

Andy: Gotta agree with you, I like Moon Knight but like Batman writers have pulled away from the idea that they're detectives and focused more on already letting the reader know who's the big bad. that's sort of the point of the mystery, and given that there have been detectives in the past, and certainly case closed shows you can do a long ongoing mystery series in comics form now, I don't see why they're not taking a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I'm asking in all seriousness. I know that the Superhero genre doesn't always do well with these two areas, but I know Marvel used to produce such books, and I know they have Detective characters for at least the Mystery aspect, so what gives? Why not -while Secret wars is going on, try out a Mystery book or a Romance book? I remember reading that at one point Marvel had at least a few of those out at different points. Spider-man Loves Mary Jane worked as a Romance I think, and there are a number of characters for leading as Detectives: Colleen Wing, Walter Bolt _Punisher books, Flint _Moon Knight, Misty Knight, Nathen Byrd, Stacy Dolan, Magician Dakor and Monako, Dai Thomas, Detective Fantôme (Cross of the Question, Specter, and Phantom Stranger), Vanessa Baker (with some finagling), Doyle Denton, Could also re set up Shirely Booth and Terry Vance, also Patsy Walker.

I mean there's a lot there, and we know we're getting a horror, westerns and other such books, So why not these two genres? Or would they not sell as well? I would think that both would allow for a very different take on the Marvel U along with say a book on the Daily Bugle.
    Other publishers (especially manga publishers) have found ways to do it but a lot of it comes down to the fact that the current direct market system makes it hard to reach new readers.

I appreciate Marvel making an effort but the current market is just not very friendly to Marvel and DC's attempts at non-superhero fare.

Marvel's main thing is going to be material that works with superheroes.

They've made efforts at mystic heroes, and are likely to try again with the Benedict Cumberbatch Doctor Strange.

Mysteries are difficult in fantasy worlds, where it's tougher to establish clues. Comics may not be the ideal medium, as it would take a lot of issues to have the twists and turns of a novel.

Romance is tough in a shared universe, but I do believe it's doable. A story that requires a strong female co-lead is going to have major advantages appealing to female readers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

One problem with romance, is that it's usually about two people falling in love. You don't have too many romance novels about a married couple, as they've already solved the main conflict of the genre -- finding love.

The closest thing to the romance genre Marvel has is the relationship tangles of the X-Men.

Marvel had a romance anthology not too long ago I Heart Marvel _fill in the blank_ ... I don't think it did well. Though I LOVED the Medusa and Black Bolt story in this one.

As for mystery ... I think far too many of Marvel's writers come with Noir sensibilities, and there's enough of that in the MU right now. But a straight out detective book, no, I can't think of anything they have right now. Though it sounds like they are trying to make that Jessica Drew book one.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

This seems like a good thread to add this, here--

How do; just read the first issue of "Big Thunder Mountain Railroad," and y'know, while it's shorely NOT "Kid Colt," "Two-Gun Kid," "Rawhide Kid," or even "Jonah Hex," it's not a bad stop for anyone starved for westerns.

First-issue is a tad superficial, stock characters, including the new classic, a spunky female lead, and middle-road dialogue, but still a pleasant excursion well drawn with a couple of clever surprises and worth following for a few issues; the western-at-hand, bein' of good use t'pass some time.

Given the dearth of good westerns comics from ANYone, I wanted to suggest to my fellow independents-lovers that you give this one a look-over. And if you're reading this thread nodding your head, agreeing yeah, why DOESN'T Marvel try new genres, well, here's a good place to show some support!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Yeah, the most recent Romance thing Marvel put out was I <3 Marvel, but I think they're scared of dipping their toes in that pond after the disaster that was Trouble by Mark Millar.

I think mystery comics are still a huge part of Marvel's DNA, especially after Bendis, Brubaker, and Rucka left their mark on the company. And they are due to publish some more mystic comics, I think - Weirdworld is out this summer, and Marvel never stops teasing about new Dr. Strange and Scarlet Witch solos.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Short and sweet: stuff like that won't sell.
    They will sell but not as floppies. They work better as graphic novels.

Then you have the issue of will anyone see that trade in a store like Barnes & Nobles.

I didn't read it, but wasn't Original Sin a whodunit mystery?

Hasn't Marvel done a lot of stuff like western, romance, horror, etc? Wasn't Mary Jane loves Spider-Man a romance comic? Aren't they still pumping out "western" books with the Dark Tower stuff? What the hell were all those "Anita Blake" comics? They are going to be doing those Max Ride comics, as well, right?

Marvel does varied stuff, as far as I'm concerned.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Mystic, mystery... Where have I heard that before?

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    [...]

- Kaine's and Aracely's Mexico storyline. Explore the AZTEC PANTHEON and whatever mystical shadow realm(s) they inhabit, deal with the dirty business of the drug cartels (a bit like Breaking Bad), go back to Houston and its streets and do trips to Mexico's cities, etc. Perhaps the next Scarlet Spider (and Hummingbird!) title should be kind of a mix that could be called mystic/magic-street level (like current Moon Knight which I take as basis for this) that sometimes goes full epic ala Thor in Muspelheim stories?
    And a related comment about it by Sea Hound I really liked:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    There was a massive exhibition of Aztec statues, artwork, and sacrificial gear touring Australia recently; and after coming out a bit traumatised, I have to say I wouldn't like to meet any of that Pantheon in a dark alley. Completely terrifying bunch. The Aztec gods have a very distinct look which could work well for comics. Hummingbird is a great choice.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 03-28-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Ultimate Member

Mystery, Mysticism and Romance? Smoosh them all together and you could have a Hellwalker Investigations series, centered around the whacky supernatural investigations of married couple Daimon Hellstrom and Patsy Walker, like Hart to Hart, with a dash of Supernatural...

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    One problem with romance, is that it's usually about two people falling in love. You don't have too many romance novels about a married couple, as they've already solved the main conflict of the genre -- finding love.

The closest thing to the romance genre Marvel has is the relationship tangles of the X-Men.

Marvel had a romance anthology not too long ago I Heart Marvel _fill in the blank_ ... I don't think it did well. Though I LOVED the Medusa and Black Bolt story in this one.

I didn't even know that existed.

The problem is Marvel excels at superhero stuff. They've tried crime comics with Criminal, war comics with Garth Ennis, manga with Marvel Manga, but the audience was not there for that.

If Marvel wants to succeed with other genres, they need to do what worked for them before. Take the Ultimate comics route at it's inception. Put top brand creative teams on a book and say: We want you all reading these books because we're putting all our big name talent behind it.

It's clear Marvel wants us to read the Star Wars comics they're doing. It just wasn't that clear when it was going on with Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man.

BANNED

I think they would be able to make a horror themed universe sell. Used to be their bread and butter in the 1950s too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    I think they would be able to make a horror themed universe sell. Used to be their bread and butter in the 1950s too.
    They...kind of tried with the MAX Richard Corben stuff, but I guess it didn't really take. I'll be honest, I don't think I ever truly "understood" the horror genre.