Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    They had the Marvel Zombies. For certain genres this is true, but horror, mystery, romance, and probably some versions of Sci fi you can fit it in.
    Don't get me wrong, they can do any genre through the filter of superheroes. What I'm saying is that in order to appeal to as many people as possible, they should also do books that have absolutely nothing to do with superheroes or the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I'm with you. I think Marvel wants everything to be within the MU. That does hamper the different genres they are dipping their toes in.

However, being a fan of Marvel does not restrict you from reading different genres. I read the Walking Dead, Invincible, and Saga in trade form. I really love Image comics and what they represent. I read the Empowered hardcover collection whenever it comes out.

There's plenty of genre stuff from all kinds of publisher. Read Marvel because you love their characters and universe, but you're not restricted to just Marvel.
    No I agree, and Let me make it clear that I have no problem with Marvel. And I'm all for them doing a variety of books within the MU. I just think that they should also consider non-MU books in order to compete with books like Saga and Walking Dead. I think more competition of quality books like that would be good for everyone.

But if things continue as they are, I have no problem buying the Marvel books I like and then whatever other publishers I like as well.

I think if they put some more emphasis on the Icon stuff they could prosper in the non-MU continuity, non-superhero content. However, with the lack of promotion possibilities that are given to the creative teams for producing creator-owned work, I don't see why any creator would choose Marvel over Image.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Amazing Member

I'd read a romance if it was focused on characters I like. For instance I'd love a Wiccan & Hulking duo series and I think their romance would have to be a big part of it. Also, I'd enjoy a DC series where Tim Drake falls in love with someone because the boy's been single for his entire existence.

You could do it as a tie-in to a main series. We never got very much of Spiderwoman and Hawkeyes romance, so a mini series on their dates, how they got started, and why it eventually fell apart could interest some fans. Bendis does do no-action crime stories like his Daredevil run. The Dracula run in Fear Itself and Dark Reign have been done, and were good stories. Two Gun Kid made appearances in She-Hulk, as well as Thorndrake in 1865 in Secret Avengers. Stronger mini series revolving around those could be written, if Marvel wanted to do this. The Defenders was a Scifi thriller about the Continuity engines.

The other thing worth realising is that Marvel, as my examples point out, already use all these genres because it is the essential part of Marvels formula. Marvel comics is made up of all those genres of Romance, Westerns, Action, SciFi, Monsters. Filtering them out into their basic elements is going backwards. Marvel used the tools of their past genre comics and mixed them into their super hero line, and it's one of the things that made Marvel so popular. Much like the Superior Spiderman Villains series, was non-Action mystery stories. That was very well received.

Strangely enough, Marvel are separating them out into their separate genres in Secret Wars, so they are revisiting those genres with Spiderman married to MJ and with a kid, Monsters Who Dwell here, and 1873.
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-29-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel's main thing is going to be material that works with superheroes.

They've made efforts at mystic heroes, and are likely to try again with the Benedict Cumberbatch Doctor Strange.

Mysteries are difficult in fantasy worlds, where it's tougher to establish clues. Comics may not be the ideal medium, as it would take a lot of issues to have the twists and turns of a novel.

Romance is tough in a shared universe, but I do believe it's doable. A story that requires a strong female co-lead is going to have major advantages appealing to female readers.
    In the Clone Saga, we never found out the Mystery of who was pulling all the strings for a few years until Osborn returned, so it can drag out a long time. Most story arcs are a mystery until it is revealed late who is the antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I didn't read it, but wasn't Original Sin a whodunit mystery?
    Very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    That's how it was advertised but wasn't how it played out. Mega letdown too because I was stoked for that premise.
    I thought it steered people towards Midas being the assassin the whole time and Marvel then do a last minute switch and have someone else as the shooter. It was a decent misdirection.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

The easy answer is simply that they don't sell. But there's a bit more to it than that.

Marvel seem to decide as to whether a book is doing well universally across their brand. It's pure numbers. A genre book is still expected to perform the same as a well-known, well-advertised, Superhero book.

Whereas in reality there's no way in hell these kind of genres are likely to shift those kind of numbers.

Marvel have attempted some kind of books in these areas in the recent past. The Marvel Noir line pitched into the mystery vibe, and books like Captain Britain & MI13 and Doctor Voodoo were all about the mystic. But Marvel didn't really advertise these to comic buyers. Not in their other titles. Not in stores, through posters. There seems to be the hope that maybe one of these becomes on overnight success. But they won't. Not without some serious marketing.
    Last edited by The Sword is Drawn; 03-30-2015 at 03:10 AM.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn