Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Default Guardians of The Galaxy... Will it affect the comics? *spoilers*

Such as the outfits and the heavily hinted Starlord and Gamora romance from the trailers.

I worry that Gamora may end up being affected by the Movie version who seems to be set up as Starlords main squeeze, emotional lover and thus playing second fiddle to him and acting overly emotional towards him. While in the comics Gamora is Starlord's "Best Friend" and she doesn't go around screaming with tears in her eyes while reaching out for Peter.

What're your thoughts? Will the Movie end up bleeding over into the comics in some way?

Ultimate Member

It's very possible that the movie Guardians affects the comic.

However, as none of us have seen the movie we have absolutely no idea how these characters relationship will he portrayed nor do we know if Gamora will go screaming for Peter Quill. Starlord is the clearly the main character of the movie so it's likely that all the characters will play second fiddle to him.

That being said, what's wrong with a Gamora and Starlord relationship in the comics? If there's a logical story reason for it, then I don't see why it's a problem.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-19-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

For all intents and purposes it appears as if the movie has already affected the comics.

The cast is based on the movie cast.

Quill just changed his costume.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Since Bendis has input on both, this would not surprise me.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

I'd much rather Quill went with the short jacket and matching pants (along with a proper helmet that does cover his whole head, of course) that the t-shirt and overcoat they arev trying to push now.
    As for Quill and Gamora, depends on how it's written (though I have to admit don't have much confidence based on the poor job beinh done so far with the newest incarnaation).

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Since Bendis has input on both, this would not surprise me.
    The film would have influenced Bendis's take more than anything. Gunn has repeatedly stated that he's drawing from the DnA era and spinning it his own way. Marvel Comics likes to create the illusion of alignment with Marvel films. Hence, we get black Nick Fury in 616 proper and Electro appearances left and right, to coincide with ASM2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'd much rather Quill went with the short jacket and matching pants (along with a proper helmet that does cover his whole head, of course) that the t-shirt and overcoat they arev trying to push now.
    As for Quill and Gamora, depends on how it's written (though I have to admit don't have much confidence based on the poor job beinh done so far with the newest incarnaation).

Peace
    I agree. Some things that may work well on film won't necessarily fly in comics. His film get up just doesn't work on the page as far as I've seen.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Such as the outfits and the heavily hinted Starlord and Gamora romance from the trailers.

I worry that Gamora may end up being affected by the Movie version who seems to be set up as Starlords main squeeze, emotional lover and thus playing second fiddle to him and acting overly emotional towards him. While in the comics Gamora is Starlord's "Best Friend" and she doesn't go around screaming with tears in her eyes while reaching out for Peter.

What're your thoughts? Will the Movie end up bleeding over into the comics in some way?
    My guess is it will have an impact on the comics, but I think this is a good thing. Especially with costumes. Movie costume designers are very, VERY good at designing attractive and realistic clothing, & it really works when it comes over to the comics. As far as Gamora characterization? Obviously we haven't seen the movie yet but from the trailers it appears she's a strong woman who is also, well, a WOMAN. Romance happens. As for the snipit in the trailer with the reaching for someone it looks like she's trying to avoid death (see the carnage in the background), hense the screaming. My honest guess (& hope) is while Star-Lord is the main character here, the team will all get their due & Gamora will be portrayed as a strong woman who CHOOSES him as a lover & partner.

Not entirely sure on the Gamora thing seeing as how right now Quill has a thing with Kitty Pryde, which will be explored in his new ongoing series.

I think it will only effect the characters costume wise in my opinion, I could've see then changing Gamora's armor to be more like the movie, maybe even Rockets as well.

As an old school Starlin guy, I'm still pulling for Warlock and Gamora.

That said, Warlocks not in the picture these days. And given she hooked up with Nova back in the day for a short term fling, it doesn't seem all that unrealistic for her to hook up with someone else.

I think Starlord may have a thing with Kitty at the moment, but I don't see that going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Not entirely sure on the Gamora thing seeing as how right now Quill has a thing with Kitty Pryde, which will be explored in his new ongoing series.

I think it will only effect the characters costume wise in my opinion, I could've see then changing Gamora's armor to be more like the movie, maybe even Rockets as well.
    Pretty much this. Marvel seems happy enough with the StarKat romance as evidenced by highlighting that Kitty will have a presence in the upcoming Star-Lord solo.

As far as movie influence goes, it's hard to say. Yes some of it will bleed over but it may be only cosmetic in terms of appearance or maybe it'll impact out of how they talk.

The August solicitations will make this clearer since that's movie debut and I would almost expect to see more focus on Ronan/Kree and Nova Corps since they're in the movie. Maybe Nebula as well.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

So long as Gamora remains a bad-ass I don't mind if they put her in a romantic relationship with Quill or not.

Extraordinary Member

I expect maybe a little change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    For all intents and purposes it appears as if the movie has already affected the comics.

The cast is based on the movie cast.

Quill just changed his costume.
    This.
    There's a reason a middle aged, experienced Quill was changed into a rookie teenybopper pin-up model with daddy issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    This.
    There's a reason a middle aged, experienced Quill was changed into a rookie teenybopper pin-up model with daddy issues.

He's still clearly a man and he's still experienced.
    I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that he isn't.
    He's also always been known as handsome... not sure about the pin-up compliant.

I'll give you the daddy issues thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    He's still clearly a man and he's still experienced.
    I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that he isn't.
    He's also always been known as handsome... not sure about the pin-up compliant.

I'll give you the daddy issues thing though.
    So you're honestly telling me this version isn't a massive regression of the Peter Quill we had up to the Thanos Imperative? Please.
    This new one behaves and looks like he's in college. He's changed in both age and personality.
    Basically, they "One More Day"ed Star-Lord without bothering to even give us an explanation as crappy as the devil did it.

I'm still hoping that when we get to learn what happened with Nova, it'll be revealed that this isn't the real Star-Lord but a shapeshifter or a mind-controlling alien and that the real Quill is still stuck with Richard Rider.
    Last edited by NexusTenebrare; 05-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.