Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think Bendis sorta dropped the ball with that. You could gotten a good story out of the O5 reacting to how grim and gritty superheroes have become, but I don't think he developed that premise very well
    Because the good old days when they were seventeen and the government was funding giant death robots to genocide or kidnap them and their teacher's old pal was training teenagers as terrorists and conquering peaceful South American nations and Savage Land villages for slave labor were just so light and giddy for them, in-world.

The stories were told with a lighter tone, but in-world, the experience of, say, the first three years of X-Men stories, wouldn't have been hugely unthreatening for Cyclops or Marvel Girl. Genocide robots tend to do that.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    Agreed, I thought the list scene was a cool thing to add as well.

Star Wars...

Attachment 20010

and Star Trek...

Attachment 20011

must have freaked him out, at least a little though.
    both T%he Those are based strongly on the stories that were written in the "golden age" of Science Fiction that were very popular when he was a teen

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    I don't think was so much 'out of step' as society trended away from a firm moral and ethical reality. If anything Cap probably shook his head in a mix of wonder and dismay at our so-called 'enlightened' *modern* society. What's inspiring though is that Cap has remained true to himself. After all, "To thine own self be true."
    After watching for the last 50+ years I believe that in general Cap would be pleased with the changes, We live in what in may whays is a far more moral society than be did when he was a kid/ When he was growing up "Strange Fruit' was still found on southern trees.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Because the good old days when they were seventeen and the government was funding giant death robots to genocide or kidnap them and their teacher's old pal was training teenagers as terrorists and conquering peaceful South American nations and Savage Land villages for slave labor were just so light and giddy for them, in-world.

The stories were told with a lighter tone, but in-world, the experience of, say, the first three years of X-Men stories, wouldn't have been hugely unthreatening for Cyclops or Marvel Girl. Genocide robots tend to do that.
    I was thinking more of the nature of the heroes themselves. They might notice that their peers crack less jokes and little more willing to kill. While heroes in the old days fought each other, they were brawls and they forgave each other pretty quickly. Now there's lasting rivalries. They'd be shocked that Tony Stark was putting people in jail and that a clone of Thor actually killed Bill Foster. They might be shocked that Emma Frost taught at the school while she was dressed like a stripper. Sometimes the heroes failing the save people, stuff like that...

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I was thinking more of the nature of the heroes themselves. They might notice that their peers crack less jokes and little more willing to kill. While heroes in the old days fought each other, they were brawls and they forgave each other pretty quickly. Now there's lasting rivalries. They'd be shocked that Tony Stark was putting people in jail and that a clone of Thor actually killed Bill Foster. They might be shocked that Emma Frost taught at the school while she was dressed like a stripper. Sometimes the heroes failing the save people, stuff like that...
    I didn't mean my response to seem so harsh there.

I figure with X-Men, genocide and slavery have been a big part since the beginning, and the flipside is, they're the one Marvel group that will still have a baseball issue at least once a year. The heaviest and the lightest.

I can see that kind of reaction from Cap or Tony, and the modern and Silver Age FF did, basically, have that conflict back in the DeFalco/Ryan era, with both groups being disappointed in the other and hopeful for them. But, not as much with the X-Men (outside of classic Iceman's response to everything new being "That's not X-Men. They're no X-Men. I'll tell you about X-Men").
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

The irony is that Steve has become Buck Rogers. He's a man of his time, then he wakes up in the future and he's flying of into space to fight aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    both T%he Those are based strongly on the stories that were written in the "golden age" of Science Fiction that were very popular when he was a teen
    Also, that Mace Windu and George Kirk look a lot like Nick Fury and Thor.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I didn't mean my response to seem so harsh there.

I figure with X-Men, genocide and slavery have been a big part since the beginning, and the flipside is, they're the one Marvel group that will still have a baseball issue at least once a year. The heaviest and the lightest.

I can see that kind of reaction from Cap or Tony, and the modern and Silver Age FF did, basically, have that conflict back in the DeFalco/Ryan era, with both groups being disappointed in the other and hopeful for them. But, not as much with the X-Men (outside of classic Iceman's response to everything new being "That's not X-Men. They're no X-Men. I'll tell you about X-Men").
    There was a scene like that back in 80's with Angel. He's complaining to Prof X about Logan and says something like, "The guy's a maniac, I can't be on the team with a killer!" and flies off

I'm now trying to think of the part in an old Cap America annual guest starring Wolverine where at the end Cap says, "You better hope the X-men don't get sick of you, we wouldn't take you in the Avengers!" Logan was just like "whatever.."