Default Views/ advice on choice in "digital"??

A few weeks ago, finally "bit the bullet" and registered on Comixology, and downloaded a few comics.

Overall pretty impressed with system... viewing experience on a tablet is pretty good, and prices seem reasonable.

But one thing that I find just a bit baffling at moment is Comixology search facility....one of first things tried to find was Steranko run on Nick Fury... think I input Fury into search box to start with, and got nowhere. (Eventually found it, by searching for Steranko instead). In general search facility seems to come back with all sorts of odd results for me. Is that what most people are finding?

My impression of choice on Comixology is: good to fair. (e.g. I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't find any of Dennis O'Neil run on the Question....but have to admit that I can find plenty of stuff I want to read.) But for those who have been downloading far before I: are you finding that choice is improving rapidly?

Okay...know above is more than a bit waffly...but very interested in others views of choice available ...and whether other sites (than Comixology) are worth looking at.

Comixology is certainly the best reader ive found in terms of interface and stability.

Their library gets updated each week with issues new and old but its kind of a shot in the dark as to what they add in terms of back issues.

Since downloading Comixology the only other apps i use are Dark Horse Digital (through necessity, not choice) and Marvel Unlimited which has a huuuuge selection for a small fee.

I recently tried Scribd which has a lot of Valiant, Top Cow, Marvel and IDW stuff and is unlimited reading for a monthly fee, but i couldnt stand the apps interface and the search function was abysmal. Waaaay worse than comixologys.

Plus Comixology offers HD comics for retina display, the guided view is more polished than others and a few of the publishers offer DRM-free downloads.

Id also recommend MadeFire though. Whilst their selection is limited, some of their motion and sound effect stuff is really cool.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 03-29-2015 at 10:03 AM.

There's Marvel Unlimited that let's you read majority of Marvel's catalog that hasn't been published in the last six months for a certain duration of time.
    Dark Horse and 2000AD have their own digital stores.
    Humble Bundle does digital comic sales.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 03-29-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    BB

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    There's Marvel Unlimited that let's you read majority of Marvel's catalog that hasn't been published in the last six years for a certain duration of time.
    Dark Horse and 2000AD have their own digital stores.
    Humble Bundle does digital comic sales.
    I think yoy mean six months instead of six years
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I think yoy mean six months instead of six years
    Ooops.
    BB

Fantastic Member

I'm an all Comixology customer, aside from most things from Marvel (Marvel Unlimited is better bang for your buck if you read more than 5 comics a month).

If you're searching, I find it more helpful to search for author name than titles. There are so many reboots, relaunches, spinoffs, or even similarly named but unrelated comics that searching on title can be frustrating.

Most "classic" runs have been uploaded, but there are still some noticeable gaps. They've gotten better with uploading certain titles lately, but it's still a gradual process.

I will add my voice to the choir here as I am a Comixology user, andI really enjoy the Comixology viewing system (haven't find something better elsewhere). And yes, their search tools returns somme odd results but it's not bothering me too much

I love Comixology, but I agree the Search function isn't that great. Searching for X-Men (1991) for example ends up being difficult, because it searches for X-Men as a keyword as well as a title. But if you're using reasonable search terms (and it's in the ever-growing collection; not everything is) then you'll find it. I'm on there almost every day, looking at the Monday and Friday Marvel sales, following Marvel's back-issue additions on Tuesdays and new collections on Thursdays. Good times

Thanks for views and info to one and all.

Looks like I can keep using Comixology as my digital provider for now, and only need to think again if i start to struggle to find enough interesting reads. (Probably unlikely nowadays because my rate of reading comics has tailed off dramatically. Marvel unlimited looks like a wonderful bargain for anybody still following the current stuff...but, fingers crossed, I've "cured myself" of that.)

Incidentally when I first started using a Kindle to download occasional prose novel (about 2 years ago) wasn't that impressed with overall choice. But choice has improved very quickly, and i suspect (and hope!) that comics will go the same way.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Thanks for views and info to one and all.

Looks like I can keep using Comixology as my digital provider for now, and only need to think again if i start to struggle to find enough interesting reads. (Probably unlikely nowadays because my rate of reading comics has tailed off dramatically. Marvel unlimited looks like a wonderful bargain for anybody still following the current stuff...but, fingers crossed, I've "cured myself" of that.)

Incidentally when I first started using a Kindle to download occasional prose novel (about 2 years ago) wasn't that impressed with overall choice. But choice has improved very quickly, and i suspect (and hope!) that comics will go the same way.
    You can read comics from every era with Marvel Unlimited. I just read Uncanny X-Men #200 and Daredevil #7 for example. It's simply great!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Yeap, I think Comixology is the general safe bet for now (Marvel Unlimited aside). I see a lot of potential with Scribd in term of the model (and eventually Oyster). This said, they need to take the all comics experience way more seriously. Take a look at Visionbooks for the animation. Have a basic selection (and no static comics), but the technology could be really cool on a larger scale.