Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Fly High into the Future: Legion of Superheroes Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, because of this fancy new reboot. I thought it would be a good idea to restart the legion thread. I think they're a really cool team, and even though i'll never see it happen, I would like to see a legion movie. Even the great darkness saga would make a great DC animated film. I also think the legion book will be back someday, they're too cool an idea to completely let go of. Long live the legion.

Man, I miss our old Legion thread.

Here's to my favorite Legionnaire of all, Cosmic Boy!

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Would this thread be better off in the general DC forum, like Talisman's old one was?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Maybe, I don't know how to move a thread, the mods don't seem to mind, maybe Ill ask one.

All moved over
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

My absolute favorite team of all time. The only era I couldn't find anything to love in was Waid's threeboot, although I liked the first half of Shooter/Manapul's run after that.

I started out with the Zero Hour team and I still miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    My absolute favorite team of all time. The only era I couldn't find anything to love in was Waid's threeboot, although I liked the first half of Shooter/Manapul's run after that.

The post Zero Hour team was awesome and a breath of fresh air after the mess the 5YL Legion had become after Giffen left.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    The post Zero Hour team was awesome and a breath of fresh air after the mess the 5YL Legion had become after Giffen left.
    The only Legion comic I ever read before Zero Hour was the Bloodlines Annual, which on top of being confusingly in the middle of a storyline and featuring characters without codenames or costumes, just wasn't very good.

But I liked the concept, and when ZH rolled around I was determined to get into it. The first five years by McGraw/Peyer/Stern is still probably my favorite run of anything ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Despite starting reading the Legion around 1975, and always being a big fan of them, the Post Zero Hour incarnaation is still my favorite. With few exceptions, they developed so well the characters, giving them individual traits and persanalities in a way they'd never had before. It was still a Legion ripe with potential when DC decided to shelve them.
    I recently got the last LSH TPB in the mail. Not as bad as some people made it to be. There was still a lot of storylines left open. I wonder when DC will bring back the Legion. I just hope the come up with a worthy creative team.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Despite starting reading the Legion around 1975, and always being a big fan of them, the Post Zero Hour incarnaation is still my favorite. With few exceptions, they developed so well the characters, giving them individual traits and persanalities in a way they'd never had before. It was still a Legion ripe with potential when DC decided to shelve them.
    I recently got the last LSH TPB in the mail. Not as bad as some people made it to be. There was still a lot of storylines left open. I wonder when DC will bring back the Legion. I just hope the come up with a worthy creative team.

Peace
    I went back and bought every Legion appearance (thanks to the Archives), and as much as I love the second Levitz run and was happy to see those characters come back, I still don't think it tops the Zero Hour stuff. Having two monthly books to tell their story really helped.

I liked the Levitz return well enough, but I think it kind of fell apart after Flashpoint. I ended up liking New 52 Legion Lost a lot more than the regular book. I think a bit of a rest and a relaunch is all they need.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved the Zero Hour team for the most part. I never thought the art fit the series after the reboot though which is my only complaint (Waid not liking any of the 70's era characters and excluding them from both of the reboots he wrote being the other). I thought the story telling was fantastic right up until the end of the Emerald Vi story when they split the team in two. After that things starting going south and reached their peak of bad with Brainiac 5.1 and Sister Andromeda.

Default Long Live The Legion! Legion of Superheroes Appreciation!

Long Live The Legion! This is a thread dedicated to the legions of fans of the greatest heroes of the 30th and 31st centuries!

I liked the Legion concept a lot, being the favorite also the post Zero Hour team. The DnA time was the one which most liked me but the beggining of the Legion and the world building was pretty much fun to follow. The Threeboot always seemed unneccesary for me. And the return to the previous continuity seemed a try out to the nostalgia than repulses me. I understand than a lot of people liked that return but I feel the same thing than when I saw Superman Returns: a nostalgia driven exercise telling you that those characters were something from the past. And the Legion must not appeal to the future, not the past.

All-New Member

I don't really understand the Legion. With their goofy Lad and Lass and Kid names. As a fan of the New 52 and just getting into DC with the New 52 I think it's better that they aren't the official future anymore. They don't really fit with the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I don't really understand the Legion. With their goofy Lad and Lass and Kid names. As a fan of the New 52 and just getting into DC with the New 52 I think it's better that they aren't the official future anymore. They don't really fit with the New 52.
    That's the problem, as I was telling. They (Johns & Levitz) went into a nostalgia trip on something supposly talk about the future. Far beyond the names, it was the feeling. The retroboot happened at the worst time ever. Look forward, not backward.