Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fly High into the Future: Legion of Superheroes Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, because of this fancy new reboot. I thought it would be a good idea to restart the legion thread. I think they're a really cool team, and even though i'll never see it happen, I would like to see a legion movie. Even the great darkness saga would make a great DC animated film. I also think the legion book will be back someday, they're too cool an idea to completely let go of. Long live the legion.

Man, I miss our old Legion thread.

Here's to my favorite Legionnaire of all, Cosmic Boy!

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Would this thread be better off in the general DC forum, like Talisman's old one was?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Maybe, I don't know how to move a thread, the mods don't seem to mind, maybe Ill ask one.

All moved over
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

My absolute favorite team of all time. The only era I couldn't find anything to love in was Waid's threeboot, although I liked the first half of Shooter/Manapul's run after that.

I started out with the Zero Hour team and I still miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    All moved over
    Thanks, really appreciate it.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Would this thread be better off in the general DC forum, like Talisman's old one was?
    I can't believe you remembered I created that old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Man, I miss our old Legion thread.

Here's to my favorite Legionnaire of all, Cosmic Boy!

Cosmic Boy is my all time favorite too. You know the first comic book convention guest, wearing a costume (what we call cosplay nowadays) was a brave, lone dude, wearing a Cosmic Boy costume. Brave to wear pink around 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Dude Omega is awesome. It was only really 2 issues (250-251) but it was epic. Basically Brainiac 5 suffers a total nervous breakdown and uses the Miracle Machine to create a creature so powerful that it can destroy the universe. It literally takes out the whole Legion as it heads to Earth and this includes the heavy hitters like Ultra Boy, Mon El, and even Superboy. Not everyone is left sane by the end of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I'm sold!

I get a kick out of Wildfire's tenure as leader during this stretch. I heard he had a big moment in the Omega story.

I love that jerk.
    The Omega story must have a curious behind the scenes story (I wonder if it'll ever be told). It's obviously supposed to come right after issue #239, the Death of An Ryd story (an excelent showing for my favorite legionnaire Ultra Boy), when Wildfire was still the leader and the book was publishing double-sized stories, yet, for some reason, it doesn't. It didn't even get a double-sized #250 issue. It's published as a two parter, Jim Starlin isn't credited as artist (he signs the book as Steve Apolo), as even though he acts as the leader of the team during the story, Wildfire's term was already over, and Lightning Lad, who, if I'm not mistaken, hardly has a line during the whole story, is the new leader. It is still a great story though (one of my favorites of the Legion), and I also can't wait for my HC to arrive.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

A lot of weird stuff went on with the Legion around that time behind the scenes.

Jim Shooter was gone, right when he created the excellent Pulsar Stargrave character.

Then, Stargrave got tied to the An Ryd, and Brainy's madness.

Extraordinary Member

The death of Chemical King was a great story, imo.

Given the current political climate, a villain like Deregon should make a comeback.

I got a kick out of Timber Wolf & Wildfire in that story. They kinda seem out of place with Legion. They act more like Marvel characters (which is not a bad thing , for me). I totally get why Fabian used those two in that Legion Lost series.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    The Omega story must have a curious behind the scenes story (I wonder if it'll ever be told). It's obviously supposed to come right after issue #239, the Death of An Ryd story (an excelent showing for my favorite legionnaire Ultra Boy), when Wildfire was still the leader and the book was publishing double-sized stories, yet, for some reason, it doesn't. It didn't even get a double-sized #250 issue. It's published as a two parter, Jim Starlin isn't credited as artist (he signs the book as Steve Apolo), as even though he acts as the leader of the team during the story, Wildfire's term was already over, and Lightning Lad, who, if I'm not mistaken, hardly has a line during the whole story, is the new leader. It is still a great story though (one of my favorites of the Legion), and I also can't wait for my HC to arrive.

Peace
    I may be able to shed some light on this for you. I got this from a book called 'Legion Companion' which was published in 2003. It has interviews with just about every writer and artist of LSH. I highly recommend it for any Legion fan who loves that kind of thing. Paul Levitz gave this answer to how all of that came about:

Levitz: "That (#250-251) was originally bought for a 64-page spectacular, and Jim (Starlin) had plotted and penciled it. I had, I guess, stopped writing the book at the time. The spectacular got cancelled in the (DC) implosion cutbacks and maybe Jack Harris, as he was inheriting the Legion, asked me if I could take those pages and make 'em work for a couple of issues for the regular book. I played an essential 52-card pickup with it. I recreated the story, we threw out a few pages, we had Joe Staton do a new splash for the second part, and ran it in an entirely different order with a somewhat different plot than what Jim intended - somewhat to his frustration, if memory serves - and kinda incorporated it into the storyline a little more smoothly, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I may be able to shed some light on this for you. I got this from a book called 'Legion Companion' which was published in 2003. It has interviews with just about every writer and artist of LSH. I highly recommend it for any Legion fan who loves that kind of thing. Paul Levitz gave this answer to how all of that came about:

Levitz: "That (#250-251) was originally bought for a 64-page spectacular, and Jim (Starlin) had plotted and penciled it. I had, I guess, stopped writing the book at the time. The spectacular got cancelled in the (DC) implosion cutbacks and maybe Jack Harris, as he was inheriting the Legion, asked me if I could take those pages and make 'em work for a couple of issues for the regular book. I played an essential 52-card pickup with it. I recreated the story, we threw out a few pages, we had Joe Staton do a new splash for the second part, and ran it in an entirely different order with a somewhat different plot than what Jim intended - somewhat to his frustration, if memory serves - and kinda incorporated it into the storyline a little more smoothly, I hope."
    Thanks. Wow, I'd really'd have liked to have read that original 64 pages original story by Jim Starlin.

Peace

Sorry. Double Post.

Peace