Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The choice of writers has been a problem. The last 3 main writers were all on their 2nd runs on the title (Waid, Shooter, Levitz), and has been proven many many times over when a writer comes back to a title it is almost never as good as their first run. That was nearly a decade of just those three guys. Really since DnA had there run the only "new" writer the series had besides guest shots in JLA and the Superman books was Geoff Johns for Legion of 3 Worlds.

I am not saying any of those runs were bad. I didn't care for Waids threeboot much at all, but there were parts of it I liked. I liked Shooters run except for the mess they made of the end of it. I really liked Levitz run on Adventure Comic with his tale of the Academy kids alot. His Adventure run to me was miles better than his Legion proper run which while not bad was just boring, and if there is one thing a Legion book should never be is boring.

The property needs a new voice and someone who has a firm plan in hand about where they want to go.
    You left out Fabian Nicieza (one of my all time favorites) and Tom DeFalco short runs in Legion Lost, and, as much as it pains me to admit this (As I said, Fabe is a favorite) neither of them did set the book on fire. So, I guess it's not just a matter of new blood, it has to be the right pick for the right book and someone who can write without the editorial interfearence that seems so commun in the new 52.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I had blocked the series out of my memory. Maybe someday someone will realize that they still have Wildfire, Dawnstar, Tyroc, Gates, Timberwolf, Tellus, and Chameleon Girl running around the modern day DCU. At least I think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    It was really a very different take on the Legion. I think it compares with the change of making the Avengers into the New Avengers, however, IMHO, done with a hell of a whole lot more quality. I liked it, but it was certainly a radical change that took away some of the essence of the team. In trying to recapture what was lost, DC really scerwed up, firts with having their cake and wanting to eat it too, with the time displaced clones of the batch SW6, then with the string of reboots. Giffen's 5YL was solid storytelling woith great concepts and ideas, however, in hindsight, it might have been better served as an alternate reality finite story, as, IMHO, in the long run, it did cause seruious damage to the series (not that they already hadn't taken a serious blow with all the changes brought by COIE and the exclusion of Superboy from reality).

Peace
    I think DC screwed up by trying to change it back to what it was. I liked the concept because I thought it was a more realistic approach to the Legion. Seeing the team rebuild itself after so much heartbreak and loss. And Roxxas became a much more terrifying villain here than he ever was before. He was almost a better Joker than Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The choice of writers has been a problem. The last 3 main writers were all on their 2nd runs on the title (Waid, Shooter, Levitz), and has been proven many many times over when a writer comes back to a title it is almost never as good as their first run. That was nearly a decade of just those three guys. Really since DnA had there run the only "new" writer the series had besides guest shots in JLA and the Superman books was Geoff Johns for Legion of 3 Worlds.

I am not saying any of those runs were bad. I didn't care for Waids threeboot much at all, but there were parts of it I liked. I liked Shooters run except for the mess they made of the end of it. I really liked Levitz run on Adventure Comic with his tale of the Academy kids alot. His Adventure run to me was miles better than his Legion proper run which while not bad was just boring, and if there is one thing a Legion book should never be is boring.

The property needs a new voice and someone who has a firm plan in hand about where they want to go.
    To be fair, there was editorial interference in Shooter's run and he left before the end. If you see the credit, the last writer was "Justin Tyme".
    But is true. The Legion needs a new voice who can take it out of the nostalgia pit from the last years.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I think DC screwed up by trying to change it back to what it was. I liked the concept because I thought it was a more realistic approach to the Legion. Seeing the team rebuild itself after so much heartbreak and loss. And Roxxas became a much more terrifying villain here than he ever was before. He was almost a better Joker than Joker.
    I think the concepts were OK, but I think the execution was a bit lacking. The victories that were won were too small, and we got told the Legion made a difference, and weren't shown that very often.

There was some part of the threeboot I liked (the Legion as a social movement, some of the underpinnings of the society), but a lot of adventures seemed a bit limited in imagination. I would have liked a mixture of personal scaled villains along with some wild, SF-laced natural disasters/monsters (even in the 31st Century, space should be a dangerous place).

But someone with imagination to spare would be best for a revived Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    To be fair, there was editorial interference in Shooter's run and he left before the end. If you see the credit, the last writer was "Justin Tyme".
    I read a summary of some of the ideas that Shooter had to close up his run, and there were so many great things planned, especially the whole Princess Projectra thing. I felt really shortchanged there.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

But is true. The Legion needs a new voice who can take it out of the nostalgia pit from the last years.
    I meant editorial there. I don't blame Shooter one bit for that mess. That was all on the guys above Shooter.

I think two writers that would be really good for the Legion would be James Roberts and Brian Clevenger. Roberts writes Transformers: More than Meets the Eye, and nothing but good things have been said about it, it's a great space adventure. Clevenger writes atomic robo, and its also a science fiction book that's recieved nothing but praise. I'm just spitballing though.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

What we need is a Legion book with outstanding artwork that emphasises both science fiction concepts as well as the team's interpersonal relationships. The fact that none of the team's members had their own books freed them up for that kind of thing the way, say, the Justice League never could. It made things interesting.

And so I vote in favor of a movie also. If done right, it would broaden the target audience as well as prove the Legion's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    I think the concepts were OK, but I think the execution was a bit lacking. The victories that were won were too small, and we got told the Legion made a difference, and weren't shown that very often.

There was some part of the threeboot I liked (the Legion as a social movement, some of the underpinnings of the society), but a lot of adventures seemed a bit limited in imagination. I would have liked a mixture of personal scaled villains along with some wild, SF-laced natural disasters/monsters (even in the 31st Century, space should be a dangerous place).

But someone with imagination to spare would be best for a revived Legion.
    I really enjoyed the stories and think that Giffen handled the Legion very well. The Legion was pretty much coming off a weakened state and many members were dealing with physical and emotional scars. I think that was the most human I'd even seen the members in a very long time. I don't think the initial run lasted long enough to build towards anything huge before they reverted. I think Giffen was slowly building the Legion back up as they each dealt with their personal issues. It seemed a waste to throw that all away and revert back to the old.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I read a summary of some of the ideas that Shooter had to close up his run, and there were so many great things planned, especially the whole Princess Projectra thing. I felt really shortchanged there.

Peace
    Doyou have a link? Or a brief resume of those ideas?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

5YL was amazing story-telling. Dramatic, realistic, and also very funny in parts(Tenzil...). They didn't take it far enough: SW6 had potential to be something rare: an in-continuity reboot. I wish they just saw that through instead of the post-ZH reboot. It could have been really great.

Doyou have a link? Or a brief resume of those ideas?
    Sorry. Long time ago, and I have no idea where I found it. I'll try to look it up later on.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    5YL was amazing story-telling. Dramatic, realistic, and also very funny in parts(Tenzil...). They didn't take it far enough: SW6 had potential to be something rare: an in-continuity reboot. I wish they just saw that through instead of the post-ZH reboot. It could have been really great.
    I liked the post-ZH reboot so I felt it was the smart decision at the time since the LoSH franchise was running on fumes at the point and a major change was in order. Plus, DC really sent the Legion off with a bang and the last issue of that period where the original three Legionnaires make one last stand is probably one of the most moving comics I have ever read.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman