Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have to agree about not wanting any past writer back. That is what killed the franchise before. They just kept going back to past writers after DnA left. First with Waid then Shooter and finally Levitz. Outside of Gail Simone's 4 issue arc it had been nothing but past writers for the last decade of the Legion being published and it drove the property into the ditch.

While I think Shooter didn't do an awful job he was working with the pig pile of garbage Waid left him so it was never going to be great to begin with. I still have not bought a book Waid has written since he ruined the Legion.
    I liked that arc. Wouldn't have minded seeing her continue on the book, instead of that stupid Threeboot.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I liked that arc. Wouldn't have minded seeing her continue on the book, instead of that stupid Threeboot.

Peace
    Yeah, her arc wasn't amazing or anything (it was some of her earliest work after all) but it was good stuff. Really though, nearly anyone would have been better than the Threeboot and Johns wiping out the Reboot universe.

CW Supergirl News:
    So apparently Saturn Girl and Mon-el are married? And Mon founded the Legion? I've got SO many issues with this, on a couple different levels. A. The comic Legion saves Mon-el and gives him a new chance, which is incredibly telling of their innate goodness. This being taken out feels like a huge problem. B. The should Legion exist because a group of teenagers/young adults wanted to do good like the heroes they look up to, they make their own choices to become heroes not because a 21st century hotshot from a time full of caped crusaders made them into a group. C. Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad's relationship is one of the most long-standing Legion relationships, and has become a testament of the strength of both of their characters. Monel and SG could never be lovers, simply because her telepathy would be far too invasive in a relationship for Mon.

I have heard that the marriage is a lie, which seems pretty truthful to me. Fingers crossed for this outcome. Also fingers crossed for a good batch of legionnaires for the unnamed ones still in pods.

Comics:
    If D.C. was to bring in a writer with no prior Legion experience, who would it be? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. But I have heard Geoff Johns did good things with the Legion, and he did well with the Teen Titans, making him a good fit to balance a larger cast.

I got my Legion by DnA and man it was a crazy ride. I was not ready for the Blight. But now I'm jonesing for the next collection.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post
    Comics:
    If D.C. was to bring in a writer with no prior Legion experience, who would it be? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. But I have heard Geoff Johns did good things with the Legion, and he did well with the Teen Titans, making him a good fit to balance a larger cast.
    Hickman seems to be a very popular choice. I'd also be pretty happy with Humphries or Parker. She's only done 4 issues in the past, and they were pretty good, so I'd also be happy with Simone getting a shot.

Big NO to Johns. You bring up his Teen Titans, but that was crap, his revival of the OG Legion was only half-decent in the face of what the Threeboot had become, Crisis on Three Earths is hated by some and tolerated by others, and IMO, he should have received a life-long BAN from touching the Legion long before then, after he BLEW UP the Reboot Legion's entire universe as a minor plot point in a story that wasn't even about the Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I got my Legion by DnA and man it was a crazy ride. I was not ready for the Blight. But now I'm jonesing for the next collection.
    If you want to see what happens next, check out the Legion Lost trade. It's the direct continuation, 12-issues long and IMO, the best Legion story of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Hickman seems to be a very popular choice. I'd also be pretty happy with Humphries or Parker. She's only done 4 issues in the past, and they were pretty good, so I'd also be happy with Simone getting a shot.
    I really can't see Humphries on the Legion but I'd be all for Parker .

Big NO to Johns. You bring up his Teen Titans, but that was crap, his revival of the OG Legion was only half-decent in the face of what the Threeboot had become, Crisis on Three Earths is hated by some and tolerated by others, and IMO, he should have received a life-long BAN from touching the Legion long before then, after he BLEW UP the Reboot Legion's entire universe as a minor plot point in a story that wasn't even about the Legion.
    I really enjoyed Johns' Legion work and I imagine whatever whatever we get out of Rebirth will be reflective of that to some degree, but I don't need to see him back writing the Legion. Same with the JSA, GL, Titans or other franchises he's left a mark on.

Fantastic Member

What would be the best Legion starting point for the uninitiated, like myself? I’ve picked up the Great Darkness Saga, The Legion by DnA vol 1, and the new 52 vol 1 from past comiXology sales. That said, I wouldn’t be opposed to picking something else up if it’s a better start.

Edit: oh, and the Geoff Johns Superman crossover too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    What would be the best Legion starting point for the uninitiated, like myself? I’ve picked up the Great Darkness Saga, The Legion by DnA vol 1, and the new 52 vol 1 from past comiXology sales. That said, I wouldn’t be opposed to picking something else up if it’s a better start.
    Skip New 52 Vol 1, I know you paid for it already ,but it's awful and isn't worth your time.

GDS and DnA Vol 1 are both excellent, but my go to recommendation for a starting point is Legionnaires Book One, the beginning of the Reboot Legion, my favorite incarnation of the team. No background knowledge is needed at all.

Fantastic Member

Skip New 52 Vol 1, I know you paid for it already ,but it's awful and isn't worth your time.

GDS and DnA Vol 1 are both excellent, but my go to recommendation for a starting point is Legionnaires Book One, the beginning of the Reboot Legion, my favorite incarnation of the team. No background knowledge is needed at all.
    Thanks for the rec, I’ll add that one to my list! Bummer to hear about the new 52 incarnation though.

I read Teen Titans a while ago, so my opinion might be different now, but I think I thought he did well writing teenagers as they actually acted.

Any recommendations on where to start reading in the original timeline for a person who's read an odd story here and there?

If you want to see what happens next, check out the Legion Lost trade. It's the direct continuation, 12-issues long and IMO, the best Legion story of all time.
    I thought they only launched it in HC. The TPB might confuse with the New 52 series.

Count me as someone else who, despite generally liking most of his work, was not a fan of Johns Legion work.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Kid View Post

Any recommendations on where to start reading in the original timeline for a person who's read an odd story here and there?
    Personally, I'd say go back to the very beginning. Silver Age Legion comics have the BEST stories to come out of the Silver Age, and while the stories (mostly) obviously can't compare to a lot of the later stuff, they're still a lot of fun and seeing the team come together and the universe and lore be established for the first time is a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I thought they only launched it in HC.
    Just checked. You are correct.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    The Legion by DnA Volume 2 is going to be released June, 2018. I already pre-ordered, I don't want it to be canceled ))

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Finally my all time favorite Legion story is getting collected!!!! Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes Vol 2 is on Amazon for pre-order with it coming out in July 2018. It is listed as collecting issues 241-258 and DC Comics Presents 13-14. This means they are finally going to collect my favorite story Omega from issues 250-251.

Man there is so much great Legion stuff coming out next year. I wonder if it is just they are finally getting around to it or if it is because 2018 is the 60th anniversary of the Legion? So far we are getting:

Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes Vol 2
    Legionnaries Vol 2
    The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol 2

One in May, June, and July
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 12-11-2017 at 06:13 PM.

I agree with most of this- I think a major problem with Johns' fake "OG Legion" was that it basically fit into a whole mini-era of Superman which only existed as a cheap appeal to nostalgia- and I can definitely see how you've got a problem with screwing the Reboot Legion, which was one of the better versions of the Legion we've had and didn't deserve getting its whole world blown up, but--

That said: you didn't like Legion of Three Worlds? I thought it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Finally my all time favorite Legion story is getting collected!!!! Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes Vol 2 is on Amazon for pre-order with it coming out in July 2018. It is listed as collecting issues 241-258 and DC Comics Presents 13-14. This means they are finally going to collect my favorite story Omega from issues 250-251.

Man there is so much great Legion stuff coming out next year. I wonder if it is just they are finally getting around to it or if it is because 2018 is the 60th anniversary of the Legion? So far we are getting:

Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes Vol 2
    Legionnaries Vol 2
    The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol 2

One in May, June, and July
    Exciting! I've got the first volume coming for Christmas, can't wait to read it and get the next volume too!

Definitely one of my favorite versions of the young Man of Steel and the Legion!

... though I kind of hate Cosmic Boy's outfit.

JR-CosmicBoy2.gif

Saturn Girl's outfit too.
    Last edited by Adekis; 12-11-2017 at 06:15 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."