Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    What do people think about the late 1970s - early 1980s post-Cockrum pre-Levitz LSH? I'm reading it now. It had Levitz briefly for some issues (Earthwar) but was mostly Gerry Conway, and seemed to suffer from a lack of a consistent artist. I'm talking the era that gave us(not in chronological order):

**Earthwar
    **Tyroc's origin
    **Superboy leaving "permanently" and the title changing to LSH instead of S&LSH
    **Lots of government / Legion mistrust -- probably a product of the time period (post-Watergate)
    **Introduction of Blok via the League of Super Assassins
    **Dawnstar
    **Brainiac 5 going insane, framing Ultra Boy, creating Omega
    **Infinite Man
    Those are some of my favorite things. The Omega story is probably one of my top 3 favorite Legion stories ever.

I think that is why I hated some parts of the reboots so much was that it seemed like some writers had to much of a silver age hang up when it comes to the Legion and ignored most of the 70's and 80's members like Dawnstar, Tyroc, Blok, Wildfire, and the others.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Also an alien Batgirl/Batwoman rejected applicant.
    I love those tryouts issues, and other issues (such as the prison planet full of heroes in the beginning of the Universo Project) where the writer reminded us that the Legion was part of a larger universe, and not the only game in town for superheroing. Of all those people standing in front of Blok, we only know the name of one of them, Energy Boy, who could create globes of nuclear energy and was the 'hero of Ventura.' So much left to develop, or not, as the writers saw fit!

I've been re-reading LSH from about 1978 onwards, and have finally gotten to the point where Levitz & Giffen take over. It begins earlier, but you really feel it with LSH Annual #1, which feels heavily influenced by Giffen, introduces a new Legionnaire (Invisible Kid) and reintroduces some old faces (Computo, Shvaughn Erin), some much needed costume changes (Cosmic Boy abandoning that terrible Rocky Horror Picture Show outfit!) and really begins to reflect a stylized look at the future. It feels like a seismic shift from everything that had gone before with Gerry Conway and others immediately before. This of course leads directly to the biggest Legion epic of all. I just finished Great Darkness Saga again. I read it trying to pretend like I didn't know Darkseid was the villain, to put myself in early 1980s shoes, and it is truly great. Granted, looking back, you see it was REALLY hyped up in the issues leading up to it, but I guess you can say they had confidence in the storyline. Worthy to note that -- to my knowledge -- this story really helped reintroduce Darkseid as a primetime DC villain, the repercussions of which we still feel today in the nu52. To my knowledge, he wasn't appearing too much since the end of the Kirby stories in the 4th world, but after this started to be used more.

One weird thing I don't care for is the characterization of Light Lass and the odd subplot about a Light Lass / Timber Wolf / Saturn Girl / Lightning Lad love quadrangle. But, if you look at the election results posted when Dream Girl won, you see Light Lass was the least popular choice, so they probably felt they could sacrifice her. Of course later on she reappears as Lightning Lass, with more of a personality of her own. Speaking of the election results -- I wish they would still do stuff like that -- ask fans to vote on Legion leader (or whatever). You can see LSH had a really active fan community -- the letter columns are awesome. Also loved the small nods to fans, like the secret identities of Academy students Lamprey, Nightwid, Crystal Kid, being based on real fan names.

In all, it's great fun re-reading these issues! Levitz is killing it and it reaffirms that Giffen, in my opinion, is one of the most brilliant comic creators in DC's modern age.
    Last edited by ultradav; 02-21-2015 at 07:53 PM.

I've been re-reading LSH from about 1978 onwards, and have finally gotten to the point where Levitz & Giffen take over. It begins earlier, but you really feel it with LSH Annual #1, which feels heavily influenced by Giffen, introduces a new Legionnaire (Invisible Kid) and reintroduces some old faces (Computo, Shvaughn Erin), some much needed costume changes (Cosmic Boy abandoning that terrible Rocky Horror Picture Show outfit!) and really begins to reflect a stylized look at the future. It feels like a seismic shift from everything that had gone before with Gerry Conway and others immediately before. This of course leads directly to the biggest Legion epic of all. I just finished Great Darkness Saga again. I read it trying to pretend like I didn't know Darkseid was the villain, to put myself in early 1980s shoes, and it is truly great. Granted, looking back, you see it was REALLY hyped up in the issues leading up to it, but I guess you can say they had confidence in the storyline. Worthy to note that -- to my knowledge -- this story really helped reintroduce Darkseid as a primetime DC villain, the repercussions of which we still feel today in the nu52. To my knowledge, he wasn't appearing too much since the end of the Kirby stories in the 4th world, but after this started to be used more.

One weird thing I don't care for is the characterization of Light Lass and the odd subplot about a Light Lass / Timber Wolf / Saturn Girl / Lightning Lad love quadrangle. But, if you look at the election results posted when Dream Girl won, you see Light Lass was the least popular choice, so they probably felt they could sacrifice her. Of course later on she reappears as Lightning Lass, with more of a personality of her own. Speaking of the election results -- I wish they would still do stuff like that -- ask fans to vote on Legion leader (or whatever). You can see LSH had a really active fan community -- the letter columns are awesome. Also loved the small nods to fans, like the secret identities of Academy students Lamprey, Nightwid, Crystal Kid, being based on real fan names.

In all, it's great fun re-reading these issues! Levitz is killing it and it reaffirms that Giffen, in my opinion, is one of the most brilliant comic creators in DC's modern age.
    Glad to see you're liking it so far. That was really the golden age for the Legion up until the 5YL period. I hope you read all the way until the end of the Baxter series.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

What do people think about the late 1970s - early 1980s post-Cockrum pre-Levitz LSH? I'm reading it now. It had Levitz briefly for some issues (Earthwar) but was mostly Gerry Conway, and seemed to suffer from a lack of a consistent artist. I'm talking the era that gave us(not in chronological order):

**Earthwar
    **Tyroc's origin
    **RJ Brande going bankrupt thanks to the President of Earth
    **Superboy leaving "permanently" and the title changing to LSH instead of S&LSH
    **Lots of government / Legion mistrust -- probably a product of the time period (post-Watergate)
    **Introduction of Blok via the League of Super Assassins
    **Lightning Lad & Saturn Girl's marriage and the constitution change to allow married members & Lightning Lad becoming Legion Leader
    **Karate Kid series
    **Dawnstar
    **Brainiac 5 going insane, framing Ultra Boy, creating Omega
    **Infinite Man

Lots of other things, but just curious people's thoughts.
    I like a lot that phase of the Legion, even though, I have to admit, after a run of great artists such as Dave Cockrum (possibly my favorite Legion artst of all-time) Mike Grell, James Sherman and even Jim Starlin, under another name, we got stuck with sub-par artists such as Joe Stanton and Jimmy Janes, both competent, at best (Stanton had quite a carreer), however seriously lacking the flair or the imagination a Legion artist needs to have ( a situation only redeemed when Broderick and Giffen came on board, alongside Levitz).

But the period did offer us a lot of great stories. One oportunuty that I feel was wasted during that period was when they separated the Legion into two teams, with the larger portion staying on to protect the UP, while a smaller group went on with RJ Brande to help him rebuild his fortune. Saddly enough, IMHO, that status quo was not well explored and the away team was only featured in a couple of adventures, insted of using them to introduce new concepts and expand the 30 th century DCU.
    Still I have fond memories of that period, with the departure of Superboy, the League of Assassins, the "death" of Ultraboy, the Dark Man storyline and the Reflecto one.

Peace

This thread has way too little love! Still going through old back-issues, now up to just past the first Baxter LSV arc when Tales was still running original stories. Special because my first Legion comic ever was Tales of the LSH #328, which was a reprinting of "Everywhere a Villain", part of the LSV arc. It was a really long time before I got my hands on all issues from that arc. But IMO it wasn't confusing to me as a kid, it was really exciting, I wanted to read more about the LSH and find out who they all were.

Who's your favorite Legionnaire and why?
    Last edited by ultradav; 03-25-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Who's your favorite Legionnaire and why?
    The greatest Legionnaire, accept no substitutes!

Last edited by Pharozonk; 03-25-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I'm a Wildfire and Brainiac guy myself. And Shikari. Probably because of Legion Lost.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I'm a Wildfire and Brainiac guy myself. And Shikari. Probably because of Legion Lost.
    It took me a while to get used to the post-ZH Wildfire. I HATED his new origin, but DnA wrote him pretty well.

Saturn_Girl_classic_h9.jpg

I have to say, Saturn Girl! She was at the heart of so many good storylines, and was often such a pivotal player within them. She was a powerful female character and even team Leader way before that was common place. Trailblazing, appropriately, in the future for females. She will probably always be my favorite.

But honorable mentions to Projectra (the Sensor Girl concept was brilliant and that was such a good storyline), Matter Eater Lad for the absurdity of it and comedy when written correctly, Cosmic Boy, and Chameleon Boy.

Hopefully, the composite legion of Justice League United 10 (with computo, andromeda, kinetix, magno, ferro, etc) will be back post convergence.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    It took me a while to get used to the post-ZH Wildfire. I HATED his new origin, but DnA wrote him pretty well.
    I've read the entire DnA run. I still have no idea what his origin actually is.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I've read the entire DnA run. I still have no idea what his origin actually is.
    It was established just before DnA came on board for Legion of the Damned. His consciousness is the combination of two characters: Blast Off and Atom'X.

It was established just before DnA came on board for Legion of the Damned. His consciousness is the combination of two characters: Blast Off and Atom'X.
    I'm a longtime Legion Fan (mid-70's as a matter of fact), The Post Zero hour is my favorite, hands down. However, some of my favorite Legion characters really have a very waek version there. Original Wildfire is one of the most awsome characters ever. PZH Wildfire is a weak mess. PZHTimer Wolf is another poor copy of a great character. However, I love the PZH versions of Cos, Ultraboy M'onel and so many other favorites. And it made me love characters that utill then had passed by completely unoticed by me, such as Triad, Umbra, Chuck Taine, KKenzil Tem and others.

Peace