Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default So what do you think of Beast?

Hero? Villain? Cool character? Lame?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Hero? Villain? Cool character? Lame?
    Formerly cool hero who has been turned into a caricature of the 'It's evil because Cyclops does it!' crowd. To reconnect with the older, much better version, I recommend the 90's series, X-Men: Evolution, and even the X-Men Anime over what is currently in the comics.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Currently a hypocrite criticized Scott and allied with the Avengers during AVX but then risked timeline bringing the past X-mens and helped the Illuminati to build bombs to destroy worlds in Time Runs Out.

I will not say whether he is right or not since this involves a dilemma but it sure today it must better understand how Scott felt in the past when had to make difficult decisions on behalf of mutant survival.

Incredible Member

Beast was easily my favorite character when I first started reading X-Men. He was a brilliant mixing of brains and brawns.

Foxes X-Men animated only cemented my favoritism of the character with George Buza's voice acting (and his combat backpack needs to be made canon).

however, he has been damaged in later years by bad story telling (genocide and bad use of time travel being the two big ones)

it's sad really because outside of comics, he's usually really protrayed well (Kelsey did a great job in protraying the character in the otherwise bad xm3 movie, and he usually ends up as an anchor character in most animated series).
    Last edited by shades of eternity; 03-29-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    Beast was easily my favorite character when I first started reading X-Men. He was a brilliant mixing of brains and brawns.

Foxes X-Men animated only cemented my favoritism of the character with George Buza's voice acting (and his combat backpack needs to be made canon).

however, he has been damaged in later years by bad story telling (genocide and bad use of time travel being the two big ones)

it's sad really because outside of comics, he's usually really protrayed well (kelsey did a great job in protraying the character in the otherwise bad xm3 movie, and he usually ends up as an anchor character in most animated series).
    Hank is normally treated quite well by other media, and they tend to go with the Hank I really like. Bonus points for him being one of the few super-genius types without a superiority complex.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

616 Beast lost me since Schism my fav body type for him is pic.

image.jpg

Teen Beast I like him OK

Age of Apoc Beast dead but I loved him as a baddie

image.jpg

Takes a lot to turn me against a character i used to love as much as Beast but they did it. He still work as a peripheral character in "X-Men" and "Storm" and whatnot but only because they aren't dealing with the meat of the character as he is right now. Bendis is, and the result is not pretty.

BANNED

He is greater than ever.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

He used to be my 2nd favorite X-Man, but he's been such a flaming hypocrite that I currently can't stand him.

Classic Hank has always been one of my favourite X-Men. Hank as I see him: Brains, brawns and a bit of a tortured soul. Uses wit and intelligence to hide his insecurities about his appearance and his place in the world. Can get grumpy and mopey at times. Might be the tiniest bit vain - uber, smart intellectuals sometimes are. There's a fine line between genius and madness - his ethics stops him from crossing that line, but he will take risks.

Tank? A smart, love sick dofus...mmm...kinda witty? Did I mention he's really clever? He still has maturing to do. No blue fur, means he lacks many of the complexities that make Hank tick. Not half as interesting as the older version.

Look, there's a way to write a fall from grace for a hero. It's been done before with other characters - hell it was done with Hank. It takes more care and the writer first needs to get what makes the character work at a fundamental level.

Current illuminati Hank seems to have come from nowhere. In the main tiles he doesn't seem to feel and speak like Hank anymore...somethings missing...the logic or maybe the heart? This isn't so much a arc for the character to grow from, but a character assassination, with really zero nuance.

I feel pretty much the same way about Bobby...
    Last edited by Beezzi; 03-29-2015 at 11:09 AM.

When they churned out schism they really missed a golden opportunity, there should have been three sides. Sure take the Wolverine vs. Cyclops storyline to the next level, (which was of course ridiculous), but there should have been a neutral third group of calmer heads that felt keeping Xavier's dream alive was more important than the Summers/Logan pissing contest. Beast should have been right at the forefront of this group with Kitty & Kurt, the more bleeding heart liberal x-men, continuing to fight the good fight as the only side of schism not willfully endorsing a team of mutant assassins.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Beast always sucked. Insecure with no leadership ability, not as crafty as forge, not quite a genius, not a great fighter, physically far less useful than colossus, Kurt, or Logan.

My first exposure to him was in the cartoon prison cell where he spouted idiotic quotes and put his feet all over things other people had to touch. I liked his look at least, until he became a giant self pitying cat who got put in a coma by a teenager with a piece of wood. I wouldn't be disappointed if they replaced him with Vincent as played by Ron Pearlman. Basically the same guy.

BANNED

wouldn't mind him being a genocidal jerk if he weren't such a hypocrite

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

One of the few true heroes left in the X-Books.

He didn't risk anything with the timeline, because changing time has never worked the way it's stupidly being portrayed currently.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I think if the character was less of a hypocrite I would be more of a fan. To be fair I was never the biggest fan either. Yet the current is simply unlikeable imo. As well as given free passes for such behavior by the other X-characters. Which I blame the writers. They crucified Cyclops for what he did as one of the members of the P5. Yet Beast brings the 05 to the present. . For some very poor and flimsy reasons and no says anything or very little. Cyclops will never be allowed to live down what he did. With Beast it seems the other X-men gave a collective shrug of the soldiers while letting he get away with what he did. Cyclops is starting to remind me of the way Hank Pym was treated by the writers. He hit the Wasp once. Yet the writers had the other Avengers constantly throw it into his face. It took forever for the writers to stop doing it as well.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.