Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

I became a Beast fan during the Morrison run. I much preferred his sensitive sophisticate to the alliterating goofball of yesteryear. I also really enjoyed him under Whedon and Bendis. I like Hank best when he’s conflicted. I also appreciated that he was a major Cyclops detractor when so few were allowed to do so during Fraction’s Cyclops-reach-around of a run. Hypocrite or not, Hank’s often contrarian positions are interesting and necessary for balance and drama.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    I became a Beast fan during the Morrison run. I much preferred his sensitive sophisticate to the alliterating goofball of yesteryear. I also really enjoyed him under Whedon and Bendis. I like Hank best when he’s conflicted. I also appreciated that he was a major Cyclops detractor when so few were allowed to do so during Fraction’s Cyclops-reach-around of a run. Hypocrite or not, Hank’s often contrarian positions are interesting and necessary for balance and drama.
    I don't mind that people became disillusioned with and opposed Cyclops. As he became more radical and extreme it makes sense that it would generate conflict with other X-Men. The manner that Beast did so however was extraordinarily unlikable. The exact same things that he bitterly opposed in Cyclops he shrugged off from himself or others. It was so bad that at a couple of points they even ended up acknowledging it in the books. I used to be a huge Beast fan, he was my 3rd favorite X-Man but his actions and presentation over the last decade or so have been so unlikable that I was almost willing to skip X-Force because of him. That would have been unfortunate as its been a great read in-spite of Beast though.

This is purely my opinion though, I have no issue with others who feel differently

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I don't mind that people became disillusioned with and opposed Cyclops. As he became more radical and extreme it makes sense that it would generate conflict with other X-Men. The manner that Beast did so however was extraordinarily unlikable. The exact same things that he bitterly opposed in Cyclops he shrugged off from himself or others. It was so bad that at a couple of points they even ended up acknowledging it in the books. I used to be a huge Beast fan, he was my 3rd favorite X-Man but his actions and presentation over the last decade or so have been so unlikable that I was almost willing to skip X-Force because of him. That would have been unfortunate as its been a great read in-spite of Beast though.

This is purely my opinion though, I have no issue with others who feel differently
    I understand and wasn’t passively calling you out. The “hypocrite” label gets thrown around a lot, as it should. I just happen to enjoy that trait in him. It doesn’t make him likable but it does make him more flawed and, in my opinion, interesting. It also makes watching him get his comeuppance that much more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    I understand and wasn’t passively calling you out. The “hypocrite” label gets thrown around a lot, as it should. I just happen to enjoy that trait in him. It doesn’t make him likable but it does make him more flawed and, in my opinion, interesting. It also makes watching him get his comeuppance that much more satisfying.
    See I'd pay for that, the aha moment where he gets his comeuppance. It's got nothing to do with Cyclops or anything like that, but an arc on him dealing with his own attitude and actions and the consequences of it, that would be good. Necessary, I think to rehab the character. I just have no faith that Marvel will do that. Like most of their creative misfires I think that ******* Beast has been swept under the rug and they're just gonna assume that if they don't bring it up no one will remember.

What ever happened to his green haired furry girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    What ever happened to his green haired furry girlfriend?
    Brand? Isn’t she running SWORD?

Beast was damaged not because he was opposed to Cyclops (lots of characters ended up opposed to Cyclops who remained popular and lost no fans) but because for several years adult Beast was written as a hypocritical, self-righteous, whiny prima-donna. The things he did and said before, during and after schism (and even after Cyclops was dead) are why people disliked him.
    No not really because things like "self-righteous" and "whiny prima-donna" are all value judgments fans projected onto Beast. I stand by my statement that the fan outrage and hatred came from the character being opposite Cyclops and was often criticizing or challenging Cyclops. I think it was a mistake to put Beast against Cyclops because Cyclops was so popular and even though Scott became this morally gray character fans still identified with him and felt his actions were always justifiable. And perhaps they were but the same would be true of Beast.

I've always liked the friendship and family of the 05 so I wasn't a fan of the breakup between Scott and Hank. They had Hank bring back the 05 to remind Scott who he used to be and in the end it was the right thing to do since getting Teen Scott's memories helped adult Scott and helped him see that he was "wrong" (see the annual where he comes back plus comments made by JDW during that time).

Hank was vindicated imo even thought bringing the 05 to the present was widely criticized in the comic book themselves as well as fans.

I am glad all that is behind both characters and Beast is back to being his great self. I am hope fans though can move beyond the schism between these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    No not really because things like "self-righteous" and "whiny prima-donna" are all value judgments fans projected onto Beast. I stand by my statement that the fan outrage and hatred came from the character being opposite Cyclops and was often criticizing or challenging Cyclops. I think it was a mistake to put Beast against Cyclops because Cyclops was so popular and even though Scott became this morally gray character fans still identified with him and felt his actions were always justifiable. And perhaps they were but the same would be true of Beast.

I've always liked the friendship and family of the 05 so I wasn't a fan of the breakup between Scott and Hank. They had Hank bring back the 05 to remind Scott who he used to be and in the end it was the right thing to do since getting Teen Scott's memories helped adult Scott and helped him see that he was "wrong" (see the annual where he comes back plus comments made by JDW during that time).

Hank was vindicated imo even thought bringing the 05 to the present was widely criticized in the comic book themselves as well as fans.

I am glad all that is behind both characters and Beast is back to being his great self. I am hope fans though can move beyond the schism between these characters.
    Many fans think Scott wasn't wrong. JDW, Rosenberg and Brisson got a lot of flack because of it

Beast never had the popularity to be a oppose Scott.

But the problem is that they never showed that Beast was right too, narrative didn't helped

BANNED

See I'd pay for that, the aha moment where he gets his comeuppance. It's got nothing to do with Cyclops or anything like that, but an arc on him dealing with his own attitude and actions and the consequences of it, that would be good. Necessary, I think to rehab the character. I just have no faith that Marvel will do that. Like most of their creative misfires I think that ******* Beast has been swept under the rug and they're just gonna assume that if they don't bring it up no one will remember.
    One of the few satisfying moments of IvX was watching Storm zap his ass when he decided to walk out in his people. Of course, they all ultimately looked bad there.

Also, Percy has alluded to friction between Jean and Beast, and I can’t imagine him coming out of that not looking like an *******. I suspect that trait may not be forgotten.
    Last edited by The Quiet Councilor; 12-28-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post

Like I said there were a lot of characters who opposed Cyclops and didn't see any reduction in popularity. Beast however was consistently being hypocritical (a particularly unlikable character trait). Lied to the 05, traumatized the kids, and endangered all of creation out of arrogance and a desire to hurt (old) Cyclops.

His meltdown/rant during Kurts funeral, his actions during IvsX and Secret Empire. He was called out on his behavior in the books by the 05, the X-Men in general, Shield and the Watcher. Theres a large body of reasons for his popularity hit, way beyond and far more important than simply opposing Cyclops.

Also I strongly oppose any notion of vindication for the 05 debacle. It was roundly and routinely showcased as an arrogant bad-move, from the opening story of All New right up until they returned to the past, within the comics themselves. The fact that there were secondary gains does not negate, mitigate or vindicate the actions.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Brand? Isn’t she running SWORD?
    Last time, I saw her was in a SW mini and I don't even think that was the real her.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Beast is a great, complex character that suffered from very bad writing. I blame the writers, not the character. Always. Would Hank, in character, have been at odds with Scott? Yes, as would Bobby and the Jean who was dead at the time. Would he have been such a jerk at the time? No. As for the O5 debacle, it is hardly the first time Marvel has taken an "ends justify the means" approach to their characters. One More Day, anyone?

When written well, he is brave, funny, educated, intelligent, and a fine hero. Above all, he is highly ethical.

I don't know if the writers and/or editorial decided they didn't like the character, simply wrote him out of character to fill a role they wanted filled, or what. Hopefully, he will be better written in the current direction of the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Last time, I saw her was in a SW mini and I don't even think that was the real her.
    Brand's been in Captain Marvel books (and Star-Lord) for the past few years and is Alpha Flight now.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Brand's been in Captain Marvel books (and Star-Lord) for the past few years and is Alpha Flight now.
    Oh okay, I guess that makes sense. Thought the furry was dead.

Beast deserves love.