View Poll Results: Who is Bruce's best love interest?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catwoman

179 55.76%
  • Talia al Ghul

45 14.02%
  • Vicki Vale

7 2.18%
  • Julie Madison

10 3.12%
  • Silver St. Cloud

20 6.23%
  • Sasha Bordeaux

3 0.93%
  • Wonder Woman

27 8.41%
  • Black Canary

2 0.62%
  • Shondra Kinsolving

0 0%
  • Katherine "Kathy" Webb-Kane

2 0.62%
  • Andrea Beaumont

7 2.18%
  • Vesper Fairchild

2 0.62%
  • Barbara Gordon

1 0.31%
  • Rachel Dawes

0 0%
  • Other (please state)

16 4.98%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    ^ I agree with all of this.

In the past 17 years of comics, they've been undermining other love interests, while making Selina the end all be all.

In the Live Action Films, Selina has been the love interest in three films, while iconic Bat Love Interests like Vicki or Talia only get one film. And in Talia's case, she was ultimately ruined just make Selina the endgame love interest.

And yeah, personally speaking, I can't say I'm much of a Bat/Cat fan at this point, mainly because of Bat/Cat Shippers, Tom King's run, and the things I already mentioned.

I understand your points. I am definitely a Bat/Cat fan, and I will always be one. It doesn't matter who writes them. Even if they are written badly, they will still be my favorite Batman-Bruce couple. I am almost 48 years old, and I have liked them since the 1970s when I watched the 1966 Batman movie with Adam West and Lee Meriwether.
    As a Bat/Cat fan, I definitely want Bruce to be with only Selina and no other woman.
    If he ends with up only Selina all the time, I would be happy
    I am the same way with Peter/Mary Jane, Scott/Jean Grey, and Clark/Lois
    Bruce/Selina is my 3rd favorite comic book couple after Peter/Mary Jane and Dick/Kory. Scott/Jean Grey is my 4th favorite comic book couple. Clark/Lois is my 5th favorite couple. I used to like Dick/Barbara since the 1990s, but I converted to a Dick/Kory fan after reading the Wolfman's run Titans comics for the first time. After reading about the history of retcons, I actually dislike Dick/Barbara now even though I still like Barbara as a character.

Even though I am Bat/Cat fan, I will never put down other Batman-Bruce couples out of some type of competition. I am not a petty type of person. It's not needed.
    I will defend Bat/Cat to people that put her down including especially make erroneous statements about the couple.
    Selina doesn't have any real competition as Batman's iconic love interest any way, and that makes me glad as a Bat/Cat fan. The polls speak for themselves. Selina blows out any other love interest in a poll.

I am not crazy about Tom King's writing. I wish that Tom Taylor was writing Batman. He wrote Bruce and Selina's relationship well in the Injustice comics.

I wish that Bruce and Selina got married, and I was disappointed that the marriage didn't happen.
    I still have hope for them in the future, but I would be satisfied if they just remain a couple with Selina reforming and joining the Bat-Family.
    Through out comic history, she has been more than just a thief.
    Last edited by Starrius; 09-19-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Emma was right

Joker. Obviously.

Catwoman. She has been his longest-serving and arguably his most substantial love interest
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

^ I agree with all of this.

In the past 17 years of comics, they've been undermining other love interests, while making Selina the end all be all.

In the Live Action Films, Selina has been the love interest in three films, while iconic Bat Love Interests like Vicki or Talia only get one film. And in Talia's case, she was ultimately ruined just make Selina the endgame love interest.

And yeah, personally speaking, I can't say I'm much of a Bat/Cat fan at this point, mainly because of Bat/Cat Shippers, Tom King's run, and the things I already mentioned.
    What would you even do with Vicki Vale in a movie that Lois Lane isn't already doing, but better, over in Superman? That's why she doesn't get much action. She's a reporter with an alliterative name, who even cares. Others like Silver and Sasha are pet characters for certain creators and nobody else really wants to use them too much. Talia is the only one that is her competition, and any perceived damage done to her had little to do with Selina at the time.

it's gonna take more than some divisive writing to kill Bat-Cat for me. Regardless of what people feel for King's writing, the romance existed long before he came along, it will exist long after he is gone. Status quo shifts can happen but they are very rare when put against popular perception and they've been going strong since the 60s, if not earlier. A little late in the game to build up anybody else.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    What would you even do with Vicki Vale in a movie that Lois Lane isn't already doing, but better, over in Superman? That's why she doesn't get much action. She's a reporter with an alliterative name, who even cares. Others like Silver and Sasha are pet characters for certain creators and nobody else really wants to use them too much. Talia is the only one that is her competition, and any perceived damage done to her had little to do with Selina at the time.
    I'm not seeing how any film version of Lois is better than what they did with Vicki in B89, but ok. Kevin Smith was already using Silver in his own Batman book, so I'm entirely not buying the whole "Pet characters for certain writers" thing in her case, though it is clear that people don't really want to use her. I never said any damage done to comics Talia had anything to do with Selina. I said that they've been simultanelously under or misusing other love interests while cementing Selina as THE love interest.

I'm not seeing how any film version of Lois is better than what they did with Vicki in B89, but ok. Kevin Smith was already using Silver in his own Batman book, so I'm entirely not buying the whole "Pet characters for certain writers" thing in her case, though it is clear that people don't really want to use her. I never said any damage done to comics Talia had anything to do with Selina. I said that they've been simultanelously under or misusing other love interests while cementing Selina as THE love interest.
    You're conflating a specific instance (in a movie, where the actor plays a huge role) with all of the character history. Lois Lane's position in the DC pantheon is arguably stronger than most superheroes.

I think there is a very good reason why Catwoman returns again and again as Batman's love interest: she provides both a contrast and a challenge to him. Not only romantically, but morally as well. Her role as cat burglar and gentlewoman thief means that she can relate to both Batman and Bruce Wayne, and do so in different ways. Her passion and overt sexuality also contrasts strongly with Batman's puritanism.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It is a little surprising that the Nolan movies's Rachel Dawes never got introduced into the comics. I wouldn't want her to take Selina's place, but I think she was interesting and strong enough to carve out her own place in the comics as a supporting character.
    At least for the movies I liked both versions of her better than Hathaway's bland Selina, which is a shame because Selina is such a great character and both Batman Returns and Gotham gave us really fantastic versions of her.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm sure many fans have some issues with the various Lois Lanes, but I think at the very least Margot Kidder is more beloved than Kim Bassinger screaming for two hours. There's a reason Pfeiffer's Catwoman is the most beloved of the original Batman movie love interests, with maybe Chase coming in a very distant second because she's played by ultra hot 90s Nicole Kidman. And like Kjn said, Lois is a far bigger deal that is covering the areas that Vicki could cover in a more interesting way.

I'm pretty sure Smith killed off Silver at the end of his series that hasn't seen a conclusion, so I wouldn't call that a win for her.

Is Selina being cemented THE love interest a bad thing? There Can Only Be One, and she was popular to begin with, which encourages more usage, and in turn creates more popularity. That's how these things go, it's comic book natural selection. Who cares if the others fell by the wayside? That means they weren't worth it in the long run. Same reason nobody has overthrown Lois Lane as #1 love interest, or why Marvel can't get rid of Mary Jane at this point no matter how hard they try.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm sure many fans have some issues with the various Lois Lanes, but I think at the very least Margot Kidder is more beloved than Kim Bassinger screaming for two hours. There's a reason Pfeiffer's Catwoman is the most beloved of the original Batman movie love interests, with maybe Chase coming in a very distant second because she's played by ultra hot 90s Nicole Kidman. And like Kjn said, Lois is a far bigger deal that is covering the areas that Vicki could cover in a more interesting way.

I'm pretty sure Smith killed off Silver at the end of his series that hasn't seen a conclusion, so I wouldn't call that a win for her.

Is Selina being cemented THE love interest a bad thing? There Can Only Be One, and she was popular to begin with, which encourages more usage, and in turn creates more popularity. That's how these things go, it's comic book natural selection. Who cares if the others fell by the wayside? That means they weren't worth it in the long run. Same reason nobody has overthrown Lois Lane as #1 love interest, or why Marvel can't get rid of Mary Jane at this point no matter how hard they try.
    Catwoman is the most popular love interest for a reason. She's complicated and interesting and can carry a series on her own. She's as close to an equal as Batman gets.
    And of the original movie love interests,Pfeiffer is definitely my favorite, but Vale is my second favorite. I would think she is pretty solidly the second favorite. I've never heard much talk of Nicole Kidman being all that popular as Chase. I found her kind of hollow and dull. Looks wise, I'd think Bassinger would be on equal footing with Kidman, but to be fair, I'm more interested in Val Kilmer.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It is a little surprising that the Nolan movies's Rachel Dawes never got introduced into the comics. I wouldn't want her to take Selina's place, but I think she was interesting and strong enough to carve out her own place in the comics as a supporting character.
    At least for the movies I liked both versions of her better than Hathaway's bland Selina, which is a shame because Selina is such a great character and both Batman Returns and Gotham gave us really fantastic versions of her.
    I think Selina worked in tDKR primarily because of that. She's someone who needed Batman and in turn he needs her, too. She rises to the challenge of heroism that he displayed for her, by saving his life and killing Bane.

NOTE: This thread was originally started back in May of 2014.
    Before Rebirth and before Tom King's run.
    Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    So who do you think is Bruce's best love intrest or should get the happily ever after ending with?
    With 286 voters,
    * Catwoman = 168 votes
    * Talia al Ghul = 35 votes
    * Wonder Woman = 26 votes
    * Silver St. Cloud = 17 votes
    * Other (please state) = 14 votes

All other options have fewer than ten votes, though Julie Madison has 9.

Incredible Member

Mixed between Selina Kyle and Julie Madison.

Julie, she likes him for him and hasn't try to kill him or gets him into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Joker. Obviously.

Once upon a time, I would have said Talia. But, given recent developments for both of them, they're much better off apart. I liked their relationship for what it was but it was never gonna last. Especially with the child that they have. Those two are living proof that babies don't save relationships and can, in fact, make them worse.

Aside from that, really Selina's the only option I can think of that has any chance of working out in the long run. I'm not overly familiar with Bruce's other love interests. But I get the feeling Selina's the only one who'd truly understand that Bruce's unhealthy obsession with being Batman will come first before anything else, including his wife/lover. Hell, she's already seen him casually throw family under the bus in recent years. And still stands by him. They're both incredibly flawed, incredibly broken people. So it's no wonder they feel like they're made for each other.

Honorable mention to Zatanna. If we ever reach a point again where BatCat isn't so....set in stone anymore, then I'd like to see that relationship explored again.
    Last edited by Blue22; 03-02-2021 at 03:14 PM.