View Poll Results: Who is Bruce's best love interest?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catwoman

179 55.76%
  • Talia al Ghul

45 14.02%
  • Vicki Vale

7 2.18%
  • Julie Madison

10 3.12%
  • Silver St. Cloud

20 6.23%
  • Sasha Bordeaux

3 0.93%
  • Wonder Woman

27 8.41%
  • Black Canary

2 0.62%
  • Shondra Kinsolving

0 0%
  • Katherine "Kathy" Webb-Kane

2 0.62%
  • Andrea Beaumont

7 2.18%
  • Vesper Fairchild

2 0.62%
  • Barbara Gordon

1 0.31%
  • Rachel Dawes

0 0%
  • Other (please state)

16 4.98%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boredmonkey View Post
    I would never understand Catwoman pairing..they would never give up their work and batman for some reason advises her most of the time instead of just locking her up..and the new 52 issue 1 of Catwoman really made me cringe..making sweet love out in the open with the costumes on, out of control man! I m not against any fetish with costumes.. but this really felt like something the great Batman shouldn't do..he had no control at all! and now in conclusion of forever evil he acts all serious and shit like some pure ..guy?? again advising her..maybe we would have something like in earth 2 if the writers would agree on what Batman's personality is like...definitely not a booty call scene!!!
    TBF, a lot of Catwoman fans also hated that scene in the New 52 Catwoman #1. It was cringe worthy and very unsexy. There was a huge controversy over it on the web.

The thing about Catwoman is that she is not as psychotic as the other Bat Villains and has actually gone straight prior to the New 52 and became the protector of Gotham's East Side (which has since been retconned into being the result of Zatanna mind wiping but we like to pretend that never happened). She is just as likely to help the heroes as she is to fight them. She also has the lowest body count of any rouge. Bruce has more than a few reasons for wanting to redeem her.

Besides, Bruce has been shown wanting to redeem Two-Face. I've always felt that the partial sub text behind his 'no kill rule' was because he thinks everyone can be redeemed. It's almost outright stated in TKJ.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I've been rewatching BTAS recently and one of the interesting things I noted about the series was that Talia al Ghul was the "one" for Bruce in this universe. IIRC in Batman Beyond, when Bruce and Terry talk, he brings up Selina as an old flame but when talking about Talia, we had this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4qYurZTofA

I still like Selina the most and stick with my vote for her but what do you see DC doing with Talia? Should she stay as a straight up villain or move back to the gray area where she's on opposite sides as Bruce yet still his occasional lover

Astonishing Member

Selina Kyle is the closest Batman has to having a canonical iconic love interest ala Lois Lane or Iris West.

On one level, it makes intuitive sense. Who ELSE would Bruce Wayne possibly fall for than the woman as damaged, conflicted and multi-faceted as himself?

Bruce can't be with a normal woman because he doesn't lead a normal life...so it makes sense he'd be attracted to someone as 'abnormal' as him. Contrast this with Clark who, despite being alien, tries his best to live a normal life, and surrounds himself with normal people and normal relationships.

Also, the fact that in most versions, Selina is reformed, or at least becomes more of an anti-hero (or is it anti-villain) I think also convinces Bruce that some criminals can be reformed, and it injects a much needed dose of optimism to his crusade.

There's also the fact that, Selina has been Bruce's love interest/lover for long stretches of time in 'mainstream' continuities. She canonically was married to him in the Earth 2 continuity (which represents the original Golden Age versions of their characters...meaning that original Bruce and original Selina ended up together). She ends up with him in the Nolanverse. In Gotham, she's the first girl Bruce seems to be interested in and there's a clear foreshadowing of her becoming one of the most significant people in his life later.

So her canonical status as the main love interest is pretty darn close to being cemented.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Selina Kyle is the closest Batman has to having a canonical iconic love interest ala Lois Lane or Iris West.

On one level, it makes intuitive sense. Who ELSE would Bruce Wayne possibly fall for than the woman as damaged, conflicted and multi-faceted as himself?

Bruce can't be with a normal woman because he doesn't lead a normal life...so it makes sense he'd be attracted to someone as 'abnormal' as him. Contrast this with Clark who, despite being alien, tries his best to live a normal life, and surrounds himself with normal people and normal relationships.

Also, the fact that in most versions, Selina is reformed, or at least becomes more of an anti-hero (or is it anti-villain) I think also convinces Bruce that some criminals can be reformed, and it injects a much needed dose of optimism to his crusade.

There's also the fact that, Selina has been Bruce's love interest/lover for long stretches of time in 'mainstream' continuities. She canonically was married to him in the Earth 2 continuity (which represents the original Golden Age versions of their characters...meaning that original Bruce and original Selina ended up together). She ends up with him in the Nolanverse. In Gotham, she's the first girl Bruce seems to be interested in and there's a clear foreshadowing of her becoming one of the most significant people in his life later.

So her canonical status as the main love interest is pretty darn close to being cemented.
    Lest deal with facts here. Earth 2 is in ruined with both Earth 2 Batman and Catwoman dead. Seems to me DC said Oh yeah lest Earth 2 Batman and Catwoman be together because at the end of the day it won't matter ! And where is the Earth Prime kid of Batman/Catwoman ? Oh right, there is no kid because there is no relationship. I have heard Earth Prime Catwoman is a lesbian now. Nolan verse is noncanon and yet you speak of canon. And the first love interest for Batman was Julie Madison. Glad to see Snyder recognized this in Zero Year. Sorry but Catwoman is cleary not at Lois Lane level. She never was in the first place. Hope she won't appear in the DCCU to make things fresh.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 03-05-2015 at 01:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Lest deal with facts here. Earth 2 is in ruined with both Earth 2 Batman and Catwoman dead. Seems to me DC said Oh yeah lest Earth 2 Batman and Catwoman be together because at the end of the day it won't matter ! And where is the Earth Prime kid of Batman/Catwoman ? Oh right, there is no kid because there is no relationship. I have heard Earth Prime Catwoman is a lesbian now. Nolan verse is noncanon and yet you speak of canon. And the first love interest for Batman was Julie Madison. Glad to see Snyder recognized this in Zero Year. Sorry but Catwoman is cleary not at Lois Lane level. She never was in the first place. Hope she won't appear in the DCCU to make things fresh.
    You're not a Catwoman fan, we get it. At the end of the day, TDKRises and Gotham reach millions of viewers. So who cares about your narrow minded view of what's canon.

^ Word. Add Batman Returns and 66 to that. Catwoman is still iconic due to those particular portrayals. Not only do I hope Catwoman appears later in the DCCU but she gets her own movie. One that's not complete shit (sorry Halle but it's very true)

Although I do agree that Selina's not Lois Lane level. Batman in general has never really had that "one true love" a lot of heroes have. But of the ones he's had, she's been the longest and most enduring

Astonishing Member

Okay, I think I must explain myself better.

By 'canon', I don't just mean whatever is the current mainstream continuity. I'm talking in a broader sense about the Batman mythos and the popular perception of them.

Some things are 'canon' to these characters across multiple interpretations and continuities because they are a fundamental part of these characters and their stories.

The relationship between Superman and Lois Lane. Doesn't matter which version. Doesn't matter if they are married or not. Doesn't matter if Superman is the 'champion of the oppressed' or the all-powerful 'Super-God' or just a 'fancy pair of long-johns' for Clark Kent to conceal his true identity while saving lives. Doesn't matter if Lois Lane is the ace investigative reporter, the stylish TV journalist and producer, or a stereotypical 50's woman who dreams of marrying Superman. The relationship is firmly cemented in the larger Superman 'canon'.

Now obviously, it isn't as fundamental an idea with Batman and Catwoman. But one element consistent across all incarnations of these characters is a romantic attraction between them, either in or out of costume or both, and the commonalities they share in being costumed prowlers with dual identities, and outlaws, albeit in very different senses. There's also a common thread of Selina's criminal nature being one of the few barriers to their relationship, and how her redemptive arc brings them closer together.

Every major Batman adaptation features some version of this basic story. And some adaptations/versions have taken it further and had them cement their relationship, making them an 'official couple'. I mention the Nolanverse because it is one of the most popular and defining incarnations of Batman today. And it shows them getting together. Until the New 52 reboot, Bruce and Selina were in an on-off relationship of sorts and fully aware of each others secrets. And you may discount Earth 2 as just another parallel universe, but the intent has always been that it represents the Golden Age incarnations of the characters and in that sense, it seems that the natural culmination of the Golden Age Batman/Catwoman conflict was their eventual marriage. (Let's not forget that one of the last Catwoman stories of the Golden Age involved Selina being reformed...something which was extrapolated into the relationship we saw on Earth 2).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chipsnopotatoes View Post
    You're not a Catwoman fan, we get it. At the end of the day, TDKRises and Gotham reach millions of viewers. So who cares about your narrow minded view of what's canon.
    TDKRises !?!? One of the very worst and overrated movie I have ever seen in my life with an incredible shit ending. Batman retired while Jason Blake was becoming Robin or the new Batman. Like really ? Gotham !?!? A Batman show without Batman but where all of his villains show up except for him. And you are here presenting me these jokes as evidences ? I hope you know that Snyder Batman will make both Nolan Batman and Gotham irrelevant (hum, Gotham is already irrelevant) right ? Because if you did not know, now you know. And the chance of Catwoman appearing in the DCCU are slim to none especially if the rumours regarding the Batfamily are true.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 03-05-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    ^ Word. Add Batman Returns and 66 to that. Catwoman is still iconic due to those particular portrayals. Not only do I hope Catwoman appears later in the DCCU but she gets her own movie. One that's not complete shit (sorry Halle but it's very true)

Although I do agree that Selina's not Lois Lane level. Batman in general has never really had that "one true love" a lot of heroes have. But of the ones he's had, she's been the longest and most enduring

Talia al Ghul destroys her.

TDKRises !?!? One of the very worst and overrated movie I have ever seen in my life with an incredible shit ending. Batman retired while Jason Blake was becoming Robin or the new Batman. Like really ? Gotham !?!? A Batman show without Batman but where all of his villains show up except for him. I hope you know that Snyder Batman will make both Nolan Batman and Gotham irrelevant ? Because if you did not know, now you know. And the chance of Catwoman appearing in the DCCU are slim to none especially if the rumours regarding the Batfamily are true.
    Regardless of how you feel about the film itself, it got good critic and audience reviews and made over a billion dollars at the box office. In the eyes of the public, that's what matters. Tom, Dick, and Harry have probably never picked up a comic but there's a solid chance they saw The Dark Knight Rises. By the way, I like Talia too but that's just like your opinion man

What bat39 said above was perfect

BANNED

TDKRises !?!? One of the very worst and overrated movie I have seen in my life with an incredible shit ending. Batman retired while Jason Blake was becoming Robin or the new Batman. Like really ? Gotham !?!? A Batman show without Batman and where all of his villains show up. I hope you know that Snyder Batman will make irrelevant Nolan Batman and Gotham ? Because if you did know, now you know. And the chance of Catwoman appearing in the DCCU are slim to none especially if rumours regarding the Batfamily are true.
    You're missing the point. Your opinion of TDKRises and Gotham is irrelevant. Fact is their reach is in the millions of viewers as compared to the comics. As for the DCCU, I don't care for Zach Snyder so I dont mind that Catwoman sits this one out for a while.

I hate how they always draw Catwoman with her zip down! just… I don’t get the appeal of her as a character… I never had… and if she’s just kept around because of the scanty outfit… isn’t that a little redundant considering what many other women wear in the world of comics?Genevieve has made it clear she's writing a Selina/Eiko love story in the next arc.
    Last edited by ROSA13; 03-05-2015 at 04:11 AM.

The lack of option to vote Zatanna makes me sad

Quote Originally Posted by ROSA13 View Post
    I hate how they always draw Catwoman with her zip down! just… I don’t get the appeal of her as a character… I never had… and if she’s just kept around because of the scanty outfit… isn’t that a little redundant considering what many other women wear in the world of comics?Genevieve has made it clear she's writing a Selina/Eiko love story in the next arc.
    She hasn't always been drawn with her zipper down, that's actually a fairly recent development and has been critically panned. Even then her outfit is till more conservative compared to other female characters in terms of how much flesh is shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She hasn't always been drawn with her zipper down, that's actually a fairly recent development and has been critically panned. Even then her outfit is till more conservative compared to other female characters in terms of how much flesh is shown.
    Just to confirm: Back in the 20th Century (i.e. the first 60 years or so of her career as a comic book character -- 1940 to 2000), Catwoman wore several different costumes at one time or another, but I don't think a single one of them had a zipper running down the front.

Come to think of it: I don't recall any of them being designed to show us some bare cleavage. As a rule of thumb, I think all of her 20th Century costumes covered her entire torso, even if she might show some leg on the occasions when she was basically wearing a purple dress and a green cape in her adventures.

(I admit that when Jim Balent was drawing her in the 1990s, he made sure her new purple costume was skintight, but that's still not the same thing as "she routinely leaves portions of her chest bare when she's operating out in the field.")
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 03-05-2015 at 07:16 AM.