Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

I finished the first Avengers Omnibus. Fun to read from a historical standpoint, but geez, the stories are so silly and full of holes & contrivances. I lost count of the times a hero or villain pulled something out of his or her ass to either up the stakes or finish the battle. Not nearly as good as the other series' Lee was doing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I finished the first Avengers Omnibus. Fun to read from a historical standpoint, but geez, the stories are so silly and full of holes & contrivances. I lost count of the times a hero or villain pulled something out of his or her ass to either up the stakes or finish the battle. Not nearly as good as the other series' Lee was doing at the time.
    What issues does the Omnibus span?

The first thirty issues.
    BB

Yup. That would be a mostly rough stretch.

I'm always a sucker for Kang's first appearance, though.

All-New Member

I've been reading the original Chris Claremont X-Men run again. The last time I read it all was through black and white Essentials reprints but I recently lucked into a huge chunk of issues of the original comics from the 180s on and the first 20 or so issues of Classic X-Men so it's been nice to read chunks of it in colour. I just finished Days of Future Past and will continue on from there.

As part of the collection of comics I ended up with was tons of classic 80s stuff all over the map and lots I haven't read - John Byrne Superman, JB Fantastic Four, Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, Teen Titans, Frank Miller Daredevil, the list goes on. I have enough just from that to entertain me for months, even years. Not to mention all of the trades I have that I haven't read yet.

Can't beat $20 for over 1000 comics - 700 of which I deemed worthy to keep. Sorting, bagging, boarding and organizing those was a lot of work though! But it was fun.

I just started reading Grant Morrison's Animal Man run, and so far it's...okay. The first arc is good but nothing to write home about, and the art is serviceable at best (the Brian Bolland covers are gorgeous, though).

Granted, I'm just up to issue 4 and the next story is the famous one with the Coyote; so I'm still expecting greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Baboon View Post
    I just started reading Grant Morrison's Animal Man run, and so far it's...okay. The first arc is good but nothing to write home about, and the art is serviceable at best (the Brian Bolland covers are gorgeous, though).

Granted, I'm just up to issue 4 and the next story is the famous one with the Coyote; so I'm still expecting greatness.
    I think so far Animal man is my least favourite Morrison book (I still really like it). Maybe I was expecting too much reading his Batman work, The Invisibles and 7 soldiers before this. The art unfortunately remains the same all the way through but the story will develope. As Morrison writes in the forweord, originally he just wanted to write a 4-5 issue run to reintroduce the character but eventually he stayed and started to experiment. The things he puts into Animal Man are interesting but now it really feels like it was only the warmup for his later stuff.
    I'm reading it the second time now, I'm almost halfway through but took a break to read some books that recently arrived (some Morrison suff like : Marvel boy, Flex Mentallo and Joe the Barbarian. I loved all 3.)
    I'm recently reading Zot! which is....a bit of a mixed bag but absolutely enjoyable with some great ideas.

I finally found the holy grail of Black Widow, Tales of Suspense #52 at the comicon. I bought it. I hated even to open it; but I did and read it oh so carefully. Is this blasphemy?

Quote Originally Posted by blackwidow12345 View Post
    I finally found the holy grail of Black Widow, Tales of Suspense #52 at the comicon. I bought it. I hated even to open it; but I did and read it oh so carefully. Is this blasphemy?
    Maybe I will be linched for this but I think comics are for reading. Sure, be careful, but read the thing at least once.
    Or this comic is a museum pice like an Action comics #1 would be?

The Batman Adventures Annual #2. My LCS changed their wall behind the counter to nothing but Batman books for the month, and I spotted it for just $5 while browsing yesterday. I've had #1 since it first came out, but #2 was released after I'd gotten out of comics. I've always liked TBA, so I picked it up.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Read through Micronauts 1-28 and am now reading Captain Marvel by Peter David

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Saw Deathstroke annual #1 at my LCS. Picked it up to relive the glory days of Deathstroke
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think so far Animal man is my least favourite Morrison book (I still really like it). Maybe I was expecting too much reading his Batman work, The Invisibles and 7 soldiers before this. The art unfortunately remains the same all the way through but the story will develope. As Morrison writes in the forweord, originally he just wanted to write a 4-5 issue run to reintroduce the character but eventually he stayed and started to experiment. The things he puts into Animal Man are interesting but now it really feels like it was only the warmup for his later stuff.
    I'm reading it the second time now, I'm almost halfway through but took a break to read some books that recently arrived (some Morrison suff like : Marvel boy, Flex Mentallo and Joe the Barbarian. I loved all 3.)
    I'm recently reading Zot! which is....a bit of a mixed bag but absolutely enjoyable with some great ideas.
    You should buy the upcoming Zenith collections, the best of early Morrison and a must for every fan of Morrison
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    You should buy the upcoming Zenith collections, the best of early Morrison and a must for every fan of Morrison
    Of course I'm gonna buy those, no question (but first: Doom Patrol!)
    Oh, I forgot: I've finished Zot! (the complete Black and white collection). It was awesome! I liked 70% of the first half, which was the superhero stuff, but the second half, the Earth stories are 100% amazing.
    The art was not perfect but it's an indie book from the 80's so I don't mind.

Marvel Super Action 1 - The Punisher, Dominic Fortune, and Bobbi Morse/Huntress before she became Mockingbird. Loved the stories for Bobbi and Fortune, enjoyed the Punisher one, but it was more of a pleasant addition than anything I'd started reading the issue for. It's a shame that there only ended up being a single issue of this. Bobbi's storyline in particular was really enjoyable.