Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

reading the Monech & Jones Batman HC that came out a while back......i'm underwhelmed, read it nearly 20 years ago, it hasn't held up, is it me or does Superhero stuff have to be very special to last the test of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    reading the Monech & Jones Batman HC that came out a while back......i'm underwhelmed, read it nearly 20 years ago, it hasn't held up, is it me or does Superhero stuff have to be very special to last the test of time?
    I fully agree, I don't know what it is about classic superhero stuff but I can't get into almost all of it. I find a lot the plots lack substance, the dialog is bad and the narration is mostly redundant.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Got the itch to read my bound volume of Orion by Simonson. I just started and it's still as good as I remember it
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Johndoe4sho View Post
    I fully agree, I don't know what it is about classic superhero stuff but I can't get into almost all of it. I find a lot the plots lack substance, the dialog is bad and the narration is mostly redundant.
    I like a lot of classic stuff, Claremont X-men, Michelinie Iron man, etc...but can't read older Batman or Spider-man. Maybe because I know ultimately they don't matter because they always go back to the same old-same old but heroes like X-men or Iron man can have some change in their lifes.

BANNED

I just started Roots of the Swamp Thing. I've read Moore's run, but never this.

Just finished reading Walt Simonson's Orion book. What a fantastic series! Hardly ever do we get a comic book series that has a beginning, middle and end. Usually it's just the same characters with regurgitated stories over and over. Not this. This was a masterpiece.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Just finished reading Walt Simonson's Orion book. What a fantastic series! Hardly ever do we get a comic book series that has a beginning, middle and end. Usually it's just the same characters with regurgitated stories over and over. Not this. This was a masterpiece.
    Me too. It didn't quite live up to hype for me, but was a great read nonetheless. Definitely up there as one of my favourite omniboos. Just a shame about the publication problems.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Just a shame about the publication problems.
    Have they given a reason why they did it this way? I would assume it takes more effort to put the backups in the back instead of just leaving them at the end of each issue. I could see if it was a backup like those in Detective where there's no connection to the main story, but by all accounts these stories add a lot to the main stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Have they given a reason why they did it this way?
    Because they're NuDC, that's what they do

Finished my second read of the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus this week. My first read was earlier in the year as I read the series digitally as the Omnibus was OOP. But after reading it, I had to own it!

Probably my favorite X-Men run of all time. There are a couple of low points which I personally don't rate too much (Otherworld and Deathlok Nation) but the highs more than make up for this.

Also reading Stan Lee Meets... OHC at work. It was a present and I'm finding it a bit of a slog.

And I just started New Avengers Omni at home, Dissassembled which I've read before and love it just as much as the first time around.
    Mixes/Contact Info: http://chojin.devour.org

Quote Originally Posted by SaxxxxShen View Post
    Фото красивых девушек в красивых тонких колготках
    Поднявшись ко мне Кристина оценила и мою машину, подъезд с охраной, квартиру и меня самого. После всего этого... Онлайн девушки отсасывают.
    Hey mods, can we please have this deleted? It's very inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
    Finished my second read of the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus this week. My first read was earlier in the year as I read the series digitally as the Omnibus was OOP. But after reading it, I had to own it!

Probably my favorite X-Men run of all time. There are a couple of low points which I personally don't rate too much (Otherworld and Deathlok Nation) but the highs more than make up for this.

Also reading Stan Lee Meets... OHC at work. It was a present and I'm finding it a bit of a slog.

And I just started New Avengers Omni at home, Dissassembled which I've read before and love it just as much as the first time around.
    I liked it a lot as well. It was my first exposure to Opena's art over an extended period and the stories were awesome. They were a perfect team. I'd love to have the omni but I only have the tpbs

I was on holiday for a week with the family so there was plenty of quiet time to get some reading done! Read all of the following digitally.

X-23: Target X 1-6

Brilliant art from Choi as always and equally good storytelling from Kyle and Yost. Seriously Choi get your lazy arse in gear and draw more stuff. Epic Wolverine vs X-23 battle at the end of the series.

NYX: No Way Home 1-6

Sequel series to NYX. I thought I'd give it a go even though I thought the second half of the original NYX got pretty bad. A forgettable sequel series with nothing worthy of note. Average on all fronts.

X-23 1-21

(Starting to see a pattern yet?) Average writing throughout, this really was a missed opportunity after the great foundation laid by Kyle & Yost on the character. It deals with X-23 departing X-Force and trying to 'find herself' by travelling about and being lumbered with Gambit of all people as a travelling companion. I never 'got' gambit in the 90s and I still don't, he's a bit of a smug bastard and doesn't come across as a very likable character.

There were also a few plot points that I was lost on - Jubilee is a vampire now? And when the Daken/X-23 crossover occured I didn't bother to read the associated Daken issues.

The only high points for me were when Sana Takeda took on the art duties as I loved her manga style artwork, but the artist changed so often there wasn't much consistence to the series. Phil Notos work was also good, but the story wasn't good enough to make me care.

More disappointed with this series as it's been proven the character works on the page, you just have to make the reader care about her.

Kick-Ass 1-8

Second read of this, I read it years ago just before the first film hit cinemas. Just as fresh and funny as it was back in the day. Enjoyed re-reading this as there were parts I'd forgotten were omitted from the film.

Hit-Girl 1-5

Meh, I started to lose interest in this - it starts to go into needless hyper violence a lot of the time and I started to go through the book not really caring what was happening it was just an explosion of blood on every page after a while.

Kick-Ass 2 1-7

Again didn't really care for this, it's about as bad as the second movie. A few parts are changed here and there but much like Hit Girl it starts to be all about how can we fit as much violence and carnage into each issue as possible. The first half of Kick-Ass built up to this level of violence which is why it worked. Since then the series seems to have descended into page after page of violence which just gets a bit boring after a while.
    Mixes/Contact Info: http://chojin.devour.org

Quote Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
    Kick-Ass 1-8

Second read of this, I read it years ago just before the first film hit cinemas. Just as fresh and funny as it was back in the day. Enjoyed re-reading this as there were parts I'd forgotten were omitted from the film.

Hit-Girl 1-5

Meh, I started to lose interest in this - it starts to go into needless hyper violence a lot of the time and I started to go through the book not really caring what was happening it was just an explosion of blood on every page after a while.

Kick-Ass 2 1-7

Again didn't really care for this, it's about as bad as the second movie. A few parts are changed here and there but much like Hit Girl it starts to be all about how can we fit as much violence and carnage into each issue as possible. The first half of Kick-Ass built up to this level of violence which is why it worked. Since then the series seems to have descended into page after page of violence which just gets a bit boring after a while.
    Loved the first Kick-ass mini but after it the whole thing became a Hit-girl power fantasy fanfic unfortunately.
    Still, I think v3's ending was nice.

Just settling into my Ennis punisher omni, most relaxing