Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Slowly reading Ann Nocenti's acclaimed DD run for the first time through the dollar bins.

Daredevil #278-282, in which Daredevil and co. are transported to their own personal hells by none ther than Mephisto and Blackheart. A pretty good psychological piece about morality and perseverance, I'm digging how Nocenti cracks Matt's head open during her run so far. Also, Silver Surfer shows up for some reason!
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

I've got about 50 pages left in Usagi Yojimbo Saga volume 2. I'm gutted the next volume isn't out until June, I only started volume 1 a week ago. Amazing stuff.

I'm going to pull out some classic Daredevil ready for Friday next.

Just finished the big hard sex criminal HC from Matt Fraction, won't be getting vol 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Just finished the big hard sex criminal HC from Matt Fraction, won't be getting vol 2
    would you consider getting rid of your copy for a friendly price? * wink *

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    would you consider getting rid of your copy for a friendly price? * wink *
    And what would constitute a friendly price?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    And what would constitute a friendly price?
    donno how much the shipping would be, haven't shipped any books since I live here but if you have a quote feel free to pm me.

Read 3 fairly "oldish" series recently:-

Mark Millar run on Superman Adventures.
    Really enjoyed this. Top notch punchy stories, based on a set-up that an old dinosaur can recognise. (i.e. Lois, Clark, and Jimmy work at the Daily planet for Perry. Wonder Woman nowhere to be seen, thank goodness.) This is going to sound like a moan about the artwork (not meant to be be, because thought it was good)...but with a different less cartoony type of artwork, I suspect this would be generally regarded as a top Superman run.

John Ostrander run on Heroes for Hire.
    Not bad, by any means, and it has very good artwork...but I was just a bit disappointed...practically my least favourite John Ostrander run of ones I've read. But.. this is still pretty good...just have very high expectations of John O. For me, one of comics best writers.

Steranko run on Fury/ Shield
    Only read 5 or 6 issues so far. The Steranko art is superb, of course. But jeez I was glad when main writing duties moved from Stan Lee to Roy Thomas... can any comic historians tell me if Stan was generally "phoning it in" at this stage of his career?? Not what I was expecting from Stan Lee based on my blessed 60's memories.

I don't know if Stan was phoning it in, but I don't think Fury was very high on Stan's priority list, which I think is why he let Steranko take over the writing and art duties on Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD. I've always wanted to read that series just because the art looks so great. I'm pretty indifferent to Nick Fury otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    I don't know if Stan was phoning it in, but I don't think Fury was very high on Stan's priority list, which I think is why he let Steranko take over the writing and art duties on Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD. I've always wanted to read that series just because the art looks so great. I'm pretty indifferent to Nick Fury otherwise.
    Still not got far through the run...just read about half a dozen of the Strange Tales stories, first few written by Stan Lee, a couple by Roy Thomas, and first one that Jim Steranko wrote as well as drew. The Roy Thomas stories were good...will have to get some of his other stuff sometime, come across very little of his stuff, but always enjoyed the ones I've chanced across.

First "complete" Steranko story was goodish, and by all accounts stories get better and better as run progresses. Anyhow I'll give you a brief report when I finish run. (Mind you, pace i'm reading comics at nowadays, that could be weeks ago.)

Strange Tales at this time was a "double A feature" with half the comic devoted to a Nick Fury story, and half to Dr Strange. Marie Severin is doing artwork on Dr Strange (very good, but very dependent on the tried and trusted Dr Strange "world design" courtesy of Steve Ditko), with Stan Lee writing story. Again something just seems missing from the story...so this is maybe another one that was low on Stan Lee's list of priorities.

Just finishing off Vol 2 FF omni by Hickman and I'm glad i persevered with it after finding myself a bit bored with Vol 1, really enjoying it

finished FF and glad i got it.

Now onto CA omni vol 1, have managed to snag all the CA omni's released so far so decided on this rather than wade through the bucketload of X-men and Avengers stuff i have
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 04-11-2015 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Still not got far through the run...just read about half a dozen of the Strange Tales stories, first few written by Stan Lee, a couple by Roy Thomas, and first one that Jim Steranko wrote as well as drew. The Roy Thomas stories were good...will have to get some of his other stuff sometime, come across very little of his stuff, but always enjoyed the ones I've chanced across.

First "complete" Steranko story was goodish, and by all accounts stories get better and better as run progresses. Anyhow I'll give you a brief report when I finish run. (Mind you, pace i'm reading comics at nowadays, that could be weeks ago.)

Strange Tales at this time was a "double A feature" with half the comic devoted to a Nick Fury story, and half to Dr Strange. Marie Severin is doing artwork on Dr Strange (very good, but very dependent on the tried and trusted Dr Strange "world design" courtesy of Steve Ditko), with Stan Lee writing story. Again something just seems missing from the story...so this is maybe another one that was low on Stan Lee's list of priorities.
    Roy Thomas is one of my all time favorite writers, so I hope you like his stuff whenever you get to check it out.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to hear what you think of Steranko's Nick Fury. I've been curious about it myself just based on the snippets of art I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    Roy Thomas is one of my all time favorite writers, so I hope you like his stuff whenever you get to check it out.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to hear what you think of Steranko's Nick Fury. I've been curious about it myself just based on the snippets of art I've seen.
    Finished Steranko's Nick Fury, Agent of Shield last night.

Basically, if you like Silver Age stories get them...these are as good as it gets.

The artwork is wonderful...no need for any qualifications.

The stories? The digital collection I got included Strange Tales 151 to 168, and Nick Fury Agent of Shield 1, 2, 3, and 5. Strange Tales was a double header...half the issue Dr Strange, and other half Nick Fury. Stan Lee wrote most of the Dr Strange and the early part of the Nick Fury run. It was as if he was writing to a recipe on them (Dashing hero, tick, Awesome new villain tick, snappy dialogue tick...) but forgot you actually need to stir the ingredients and put them in an oven to cook....just completely "flat".

When Jim Steranko got writing as well as drawing... then the fun began, and the stories got rapidly better, with the last half dozen being really, really good. They never transcended Silver Age conventions (i.e. Nick Fury..although Director of Shield...didn't do anything remotely "realistic" such as staying at headquarters gathering and analysing info and sending younger agents to do the field work. No, Nick does all the field work himself!)....but they were really lively and really sucked me into the various plots.

I got the digital version...never having come across physical version at a price I could bear to pay. And maybe that's the best way to read these comics? Certainly the ability to use frame by frame exposition, as well as look at full page lay-out was a real treat. But I'd be interested to hear how anybody who's looked at both versions of these comics compares reading experience.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 04-18-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Last night I finished up the Uncanny Avengers omnibus. It was nowhere near as good as Uncanny X-Force which I think most people (myself included) expect it be. It had some good art at points from Acuna and had some similar themes such as time travel, alternative futures, apocalypse and team conflict. It was just an extremely average read. I wouldn't recommend it. Also pissed that Axis wasn't included in the already small omnibus. It would have made a lot of sense and would have justified the high price of this relatively small book.

I then jumped straight into FF Omnibus by Hickman V1. Only two issues in so far but already I'm loving it. I love when a book you expect to be not quite your thing exceeds all expectations. I'm hoping the quality persists and that The Bridge mini-series isn't a high point.

....just shows that sometimes random purchases can be a lot more fruitful than books you expect to enjoy.

Just finished the death of cap america (non) omnibus which I enjoyed, decided to take a break before I moved on to 'lives' so started on Johns GL vol 1 omni, I think I may struggle, I have read a couple of issues, found out guy is no longer a gl but some sort of 'thing' and all I can see are a million pages in front of me

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    Slowly reading Ann Nocenti's acclaimed DD run for the first time through the dollar bins.

Daredevil #278-282, in which Daredevil and co. are transported to their own personal hells by none ther than Mephisto and Blackheart. A pretty good psychological piece about morality and perseverance, I'm digging how Nocenti cracks Matt's head open during her run so far. Also, Silver Surfer shows up for some reason!
    Love, love, love this run. JRJR hits his stride. After Frank Miller beats down Daredevil in Born Again, Nocentti throws in a few good kicks. It's a bit "super-hero-y" like Mark Waid's run compared to more grounded stories from Miller, Ed Brubaker, Kevin Smith and Brian Bendis, which probably why it's not held in as high regard, but it should.