Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647 LastLast

Read some classic Cloak and Dagger (1986 ongoing series) #1-11 from the Lost & Found tpb. Pretty good stuff from Mantlo & Leonardi. Just enough grit and grim from the 80s depiction of Times Square to some funny/cheesy depictions of 1980a rich kids pertaining to Tandy's backstory. I have no idea what direction the Freeform show will take but this series had some good (albeit dated) material.
    Last edited by banky; 03-17-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Just got through my starman omni 2. It's an awesome series.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I've just finished reading the two volumes of Golden age Batman and will be looking forward to the third volume, here's were the hate mail comes in, he is the only DC character I like. Okay the stories are from a different time, however it is great reading how the Batman develops over the years.
    I have always been a huge Spidey fan but since that whole One more day story line I've stop buying and have just continued to get his other appearances.
    On a side note I'm also reading the two collected volumes of The Champions, if ever there were a made-up team on the spot this was it but I'm still enjoying none the less.
    Hail Hydra!

BANNED

Earlier tonight I read issues 95 to 99 of original Uncanny X Men. Still need to read issues 100 to 119 later tonight

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Steve Englehart's Batman, Strange Apparitions and Dark Detective. Great art but dated writing in the first one, liked the characterization nonetheless. Dark Detective wowed me with its Joker and Bruce portrayals, very human, at the same time some goofy/weird Silver Age Two-Face shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Remender not Fraction. I can understand bot liking something, but hating both the story AND art on this one, you're definitely in the minority here.
    There are a lot of criticisms you could lob at Black Science but 'boring' and 'bad art' definitely aren't two of them.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Steve Englehart's Batman, Strange Apparitions and Dark Detective. Great art but dated writing in the first one, liked the characterization nonetheless. Dark Detective wowed me with its Joker and Bruce portrayals, very human, at the same time some goofy/weird Silver Age Two-Face shenanigans.
    Have you checked out the Siege storyline that Archie Goodwin and James Robinson did in Legends of the Dark Knight - from 132-136. I liked it but then I was always a mark for Archie Goodwin.
    "If you don't love America then get the hell out"

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

I read X-Factor 1-10 (1986) and Avengers #29

The X-Factor stuff was great. Avengers a little sloggy.

Fantastic Member

Been reading lots of Carl Barks Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stories. Really great before bed reading material. Not too heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Been reading lots of Carl Barks Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stories. Really great before bed reading material. Not too heavy...
    I've been doing the same thing, but with the Massimo De Vita disney stories and the IDW Uncle Scrooge reprints. They really are the perfect bedtime reading. I've got the first two Fantagraphics Don Rosa Volumes waiting to be read after those.

Didn't like Ostrander's The Spectre (early nineties) but loved his Martian Manhunter (late nineties). He's a great writer. Is his Heroes for Hire worth a look (the art looks terrible)?

Didn't like Ostrander's The Spectre (early nineties) but loved his Martian Manhunter (late nineties). He's a great writer. Is his Heroes for Hire worth a look (the art looks terrible)?
    Big fan of John O.

Found Heroes for Hire okay, but personally found it less enjoyable than rest of his stuff.

I'd guess work that is closest "tone" to his run on MM is Hawkworld, and the Hawkman series that followed it. (NB If you've not read Hawkworld, well worth getting the Tim Truman mini that launched it. This...in my view...is the best re-launch story for a mainstream super hero, ever. And Tim's art is sensationally good.)

Apart from Hawkworld, I found Grimjack, Firestorm, and Manhunter all condiderably more enjoyable than Heroes for Hire.

And then...of course...his wonderful run on Suicide Squad. Strong contender in my eyes for best DC long run ever.

[QUOTE=The Duke;2703046]Have you checked out the Siege storyline that Archie Goodwin and James Robinson did in Legends of the Dark Knight

Yes, miles better, I think thatn the very similar (and more "famous") Knightfall storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Big fan of John O.

Found Heroes for Hire okay, but personally found it less enjoyable than rest of his stuff.

I'd guess work that is closest "tone" to his run on MM is Hawkworld, and the Hawkman series that followed it. (NB If you've not read Hawkworld, well worth getting the Tim Truman mini that launched it. This...in my view...is the best re-launch story for a mainstream super hero, ever. And Tim's art is sensationally good.)

Apart from Hawkworld, I found Grimjack, Firestorm, and Manhunter all condiderably more enjoyable than Heroes for Hire.

And then...of course...his wonderful run on Suicide Squad. Strong contender in my eyes for best DC long run ever.
    Thanks man, didn't know about Ostrander and Hawkworld and already am curious about Firestorm. Just to pass the time until the next SS trade finds its way into my greedy paws. I've already read Truman's Conan and Jonah Hex a few years ago. Did you enjoy Spectre? After SS and MM it was the 1st thing from John Ostrander that didn't click but I could appreciate the writing nontheless.

Thanks man, didn't know about Ostrander and Hawkworld and already am curious about Firestorm. Just to pass the time until the next SS trade finds its way into my greedy paws. I've already read Truman's Conan and Jonah Hex a few years ago. Did you enjoy Spectre? After SS and MM it was the 1st thing from John Ostrander that didn't click but I could appreciate the writing nontheless.
    I did enjoy Spectre...but largely because of Tom Mandrake artwork...but like you considerably less than his run on Martian Manhunter.

I enjoyed Spectre a bit more than "Heroes for Hire", but apart from that its my least preferred John O work. "Odd" because I know many rate it as his best work.