Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

I just read my small chunk of "The Shadow" issues by DC from the 1970s. Most of the ones I have were written by Denny O'Neil with art by Frank Robbins. Kaluta did some too but I don't have any of those. Robbins' art works great on this. His superhero stuff hasn't always impressed- like his "Invaders" stuff from the same period, but I dig it here.

Violent comic too. People die regularly. I've been getting these reasonably cheaply and I want to get the rest.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I just read my small chunk of "The Shadow" issues by DC from the 1970s. Most of the ones I have were written by Denny O'Neil with art by Frank Robbins. Kaluta did some too but I don't have any of those. Robbins' art works great on this. His superhero stuff hasn't always impressed- like his "Invaders" stuff from the same period, but I dig it here.

Violent comic too. People die regularly. I've been getting these reasonably cheaply and I want to get the rest.
    I would love a nice collection of these. I think Dynamite is doing some kind of Shadow classics tpb series but it would be nice to have a chunkier trade or a hardcover. I love The Shadow.

Incredible Member

The transition from Kaluta to Robbins was really jarring - their styles are very dissimilar. Many fans at the time were unhappy. I was one of them, but I adjusted and managed to enjoy Robbins' work. He was followed by E.R. Cruz, a nearly-forgotten artist who did good work on The Shadow and many DC horror anthologies of the 70s.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    New Teen Titans v1 #11-14

Justice League of America v1 #217-227
    Wanted to read issues during and after putting Flash on probation for killing Professor Zoom, I enjoy the issues, but they contain stupidity
    The chimera arc (221-223) is the dumbest of the bunch, men from Earth get their genes mixed with Earthling animals, and they can stand up to the Justice League, before completely turning to animals. One guy is turned to a whale, and he can out fight both Superman and Wonder Woman, the two who can fight three adult blue whales on their lonesome before breakfast, and not break a sweat
    And a rhino guy can pierce Flash after he saw his eyes before he moves, Flash, who can move at the speed of sound and vibrate allowing things to pass through him
    That doesn't sound very good! I read all my JLA's a few years ago, and don't remember that, but I'm sure I'll read them again in a few years, so I'll have to be on the lookout for that.

I'm reading my Alpha Flight run (I'm up to #20) which I enjoy so far. Each issue makes me really want to grab the next one and start reading. I'm also reading the early issues of Excalibur and Marvel Fanfare, but not enjoying those as much, so I'm concentrating on Alpha Flight right now.

Amazing Member

The Crow - Special Edition. Just....brilliant

Amazing Member

Man, I hated Frank Robbins version of The Shadow! The Michael Kaluta books (only 5-6 issues) were gorgeous. One of them was even inked by Berni Wrightson. To go from that to Robbins cartoon style was a huge letdown. The Cruz issues were OK but there's never been a better drawn version than Kaluta's. The biggest disappointment was Howard Chaykins' version only because my expectations were so high. Chaykins' trademark style and love for that pulp/noir time period should've made a historic combo with The Shadow. Unfortunately it was a total bore.

I started to read Essential Captain America vol 6 which collects Jack Kirby's Cap from 206 to 214. I was really interested in these stories as I quite liked Essential vol 7 and I thought I'm in for a treat with Kirby but oh man...I really appriciate and respect Kirby but this is just boooooring to me.
    I don't expect anything thought provoking from these, the opening story in vol 7 from McKenzie was just a fun romp, but it was FUN, it kept me interested but this is just a chore to read (Dough boy? the Swine? and this is the first appearance of Zola?) and, I know I really shouldn't write this, but the art is really hit or miss for me. I have no problem with Kirby's style, it's great, but in this case it doesn't work for me.
    I'm at #211 right now but I think I will skip the rest of Kirby's issues.

Reading some of my old 1970s "Defenders" issues. Right now I'm in my Steve Gerber issues. Some of them team up with "Guardians of the Galaxy" at least the version from the early 70s. So far, the only one of these guys that I know was in the movie is Yondu. No love for poor Martinex...

Gerber's work here is pretty good although not quite what he was doing in Man-Thing or Howard the Duck at the time. Although he does beat "Chapelle's Show" to the "racist organization leader is ironically a black guy" bit by about 30 years.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Defenders #48-50, the last three issues of David Kraft and Keith Giffen's Scorpio saga in that book. I don't have the first few issues of that saga, but they are on my list! This run has been covered in that "I love you but your strange" blog here- and that is absolutely correct. Some of the strangest, saddest, funniest issues I have read. I usually like the Kraft stuff that I have read but this is the most offbeat I have seen him. Perhaps he was trying to keep up with Gerber before him.

I'm not that familiar with Giffen's art overall and don't know his overall reputation, especially in the early days. It was definitely a huge Kirby rip/homage here, down to having Mike Royer ink some of it- but I liked it.

Highly, highly recommended.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I started to read Essential Captain America vol 6 which collects Jack Kirby's Cap from 206 to 214. I was really interested in these stories as I quite liked Essential vol 7 and I thought I'm in for a treat with Kirby but oh man...I really appriciate and respect Kirby but this is just boooooring to me.
    I don't expect anything thought provoking from these, the opening story in vol 7 from McKenzie was just a fun romp, but it was FUN, it kept me interested but this is just a chore to read (Dough boy? the Swine? and this is the first appearance of Zola?) and, I know I really shouldn't write this, but the art is really hit or miss for me. I have no problem with Kirby's style, it's great, but in this case it doesn't work for me.
    I'm at #211 right now but I think I will skip the rest of Kirby's issues.
    I've read a couple of those later Kirby Cap issues, and they are just plain weird. If you're in the right mood, say after a beverage or tow, they can be kinda fun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Defenders #48-50, the last three issues of David Kraft and Keith Giffen's Scorpio saga in that book. I don't have the first few issues of that saga, but they are on my list! This run has been covered in that "I love you but your strange" blog here- and that is absolutely correct. Some of the strangest, saddest, funniest issues I have read. I usually like the Kraft stuff that I have read but this is the most offbeat I have seen him. Perhaps he was trying to keep up with Gerber before him.

I'm not that familiar with Giffen's art overall and don't know his overall reputation, especially in the early days. It was definitely a huge Kirby rip/homage here, down to having Mike Royer ink some of it- but I liked it.

Highly, highly recommended.
    Speaking of weird Defenders stories, that Gerber stuff with the the head gang or whatever (Gorilla Man, Chondu the Mystic, Shrunken Bones) was really, really, weird, and pretty long, too.
    I have Giffen's 70's stuff from Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes and like it a lot, but I hate his 80's and 90's artwork.

All-New Member

If it can be counted, the second issue of the "Legion of Super-Heroes" '86 run---the "Ten Years Later" storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    I've read a couple of those later Kirby Cap issues, and they are just plain weird. If you're in the right mood, say after a beverage or tow, they can be kinda fun, though.
    Oh, hey, haven't seen your response. Yeah I've put the book down for now but I think I will try it again later, maybe I just overdosed myself with essentials (I started to read Powerman vol2 but couldn't finish that either. I really-really liked it so far but I think I've read too much classic stuff lately, had to read something modern before I could finish these).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    Speaking of weird Defenders stories, that Gerber stuff with the the head gang or whatever (Gorilla Man, Chondu the Mystic, Shrunken Bones) was really, really, weird, and pretty long, too.
    I have Giffen's 70's stuff from Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes and like it a lot, but I hate his 80's and 90's artwork.
    Didn't the Gerber Defenders books have the elf who would show up at random every few issues and shoot somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Didn't the Gerber Defenders books have the elf who would show up at random every few issues and shoot somebody?
    Yep. But I don't have the issues where that really resolves. DeMatteis later "New Defenders" run had a similar (or the same?) elf show up again. Only not as shooty as under Gerber.

On a similar note, I got The Gargoyle limited series for a buck an issue. I liked the character from The Defenders but just never gave the LS a chance. Good little series. Mark Badger's art was fairly unique and really worked with the subject. Someone must have really wanted this series to take off because every issue has an awesome painted cover, which I don't remember other books regularly getting back then. Worth every penny.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.