Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Just finished The Longbow Hunters and loved it. My first Green Arrow book and I didn't want to like it mostly because its not a good time for me to get into another new character. I thought the art was really good, the story was involved and interesting and it was a perfect length for the story.

I'd read about it being a back to basics take on the character but it was great to actually see Oliver make an effort to streamline himself through the story. I was surprised by the brutal violence which was a nice bonus, it fit.
    You're right, it was really good. I read it a year or two ago, and it made me want to check out Warlord for some more Mike Grell written and pencilled comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt. Lot of people seem to like both Knightfall and No man's land. I liked certain parts but other parts were just so uninteresting to me that I parted with my copy after reading (and don't have the desire to read Knightquest and Knightsomething).
    But I generally have problems with oldschool street level heroes, because usually the stories are not enough street level, there is always some added element that negates the charm and atmosphere of street level stuff, but the fantasy/sci-fi elements are just not strong enough to make a proper superhero book (to mee. That said, I really liked Batman and the Outsiders).
    I had the same problem with Miller's original DD run (that and the way Matt dealt with his girlfriend).
    Also, I'm really irritated by most of Batman's villains (especially the Joker).
    Really? I loved Miller's DD, though I agree that he treated his girlfriend like garbage.
    I'm OK with the Joker, he's not my favorite, but can be good, depending on how he's handled. I like Two-Face and Scarecrow, but could definitely do without the Penguin. I like the Batman stories that focus on him being a detective rather than a superhero, though I enjoyed Batman and the Outsiders also.

I'm reading through all of my old Justice League of America's and am now up to the classic #200.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Just finished The Longbow Hunters and loved it. My first Green Arrow book and I didn't want to like it mostly because its not a good time for me to get into another new character. I thought the art was really good, the story was involved and interesting and it was a perfect length for the story.

I'd read about it being a back to basics take on the character but it was great to actually see Oliver make an effort to streamline himself through the story. I was surprised by the brutal violence which was a nice bonus, it fit.
    Told ya
    It's one of my top 10 favorite comics ever
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

What are some good 80s/90s runs to get bound? I'm looking for stuff that will be probably not be collected soon and is cheap to find. I currently have Ostrander's Hawkworld and Firestorm, all Milligan's Batman issues and Dr Fate by JM DeMatteis. Also looking at GrimJack and Dreadstar. 20/30 issue runs are preferred. Thanks in advance
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What are some good 80s/90s runs to get bound? I'm looking for stuff that will be probably not be collected soon and is cheap to find. I currently have Ostrander's Hawkworld and Firestorm, all Milligan's Batman issues and Dr Fate by JM DeMatteis. Also looking at GrimJack and Dreadstar. 20/30 issue runs are preferred. Thanks in advance
    Moench's Moon Knight v.1 #1-37 (though that is starting to be collected in Epics)
    All of Claremont's New Mutants v.1 #1-54

If you can find all the Marvel & DC collaborations (X-Men & New Teen Titans, Batman & Hulk, treasury reprints) that may be worth binding.

Fantastic Member

The horror anthology Wasteland by Ostrander is really good with awesome artists (David Lloyd, Tim Truman, Joe Orlando, etc.).

Moench's Spectre is real good too.

Amazing Member

Still reading the Ann Nocenti/John Romita, Jr. run of Daredevil. I'm up to #274. Of all the JRjr comics that I've read, this may his best art. I think he was still learning prior to this. And I've heard people got sick of the demonic/hell/Mephisto stuff in Nocenti's run, but I actually think her writing is better than earlier on. Her politics is so heavy-handed early in her run. By the 270s, she much more skilled at integrating her politics into good storytelling and being persuasive. I like this storyline that weaves in some feminism and animal rights. She's also gotten a lot better at dialogue.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt. Lot of people seem to like both Knightfall and No man's land. I liked certain parts but other parts were just so uninteresting to me that I parted with my copy after reading (and don't have the desire to read Knightquest and Knightsomething).
    But I generally have problems with oldschool street level heroes, because usually the stories are not enough street level, there is always some added element that negates the charm and atmosphere of street level stuff, but the fantasy/sci-fi elements are just not strong enough to make a proper superhero book (to mee. That said, I really liked Batman and the Outsiders).
    I had the same problem with Miller's original DD run (that and the way Matt dealt with his girlfriend).
    Also, I'm really irritated by most of Batman's villains (especially the Joker).
    I really liked reading the new collected editions of No Man's Land. There were 6-8 tie ins that I didn't Care for, but as a whole I liked it. I am even considering binding it, but preferably without some of the tie ins as then I would re-read it more often (I know I Can just skip some issues but still)

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    I'm reading through all of my old Justice League of America's and am now up to the classic #200.
    Inspired me to pull 2 issues out of my collection to read today. Issues 80 and 122.
    #80 The World Is Coming To An End. Good issue. Interesting story and great art.
    #122 Aquaman is Dead. Not so good. Too many small crowded panels made for poor art. A bad story as well. Maybe if this one would have been better as a two part. The story could have been developed better with larger panels.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Does Generation X count as a classic comic? Because I just finished that.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

just finished a re-read of John Byrne's Next Men, which for me didn't hold up so well so many years later--until I hit the very best part, a four issue series which featured Mike Mignola drawing Hellboy into the story, followed by appearances by Concrete, Cutter and Skywise from Elfquest, Monkeyman & O'Brien, and Byrne's re-take on the un-named-as-such but pretty clearly The Phoenix.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Does Generation X count as a classic comic? Because I just finished that.
    Whatever you can think off is classic for you.

Today in my way to work I finished reading Batman: Black Glove. Awesome stuff, don't know why some people don't like Morrison.

Next on my list is R.I.P., already started, but just few pages.
    Last edited by lvizzz; 12-12-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Told ya
    It's one of my top 10 favorite comics ever
    Just ordered the first tpb of Grell's run after Longbow Hunters. I tried to resist but once I saw they seem to be committing to keep releasing the run I went for it. I blame you for your glowing recommendations ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Whatever you can think off is classic for you.

Today in my way to work I finisher reading Batman: Black Glove. Awesome stuff, don't know why some people don't like Morrison.

Next on my list R.I.P., already started, but just few pages.
    I think the Morrison hate starts with RIP (some people blame the disjointed storytelling, which IMHO is not as disjointed as other Morrison stories, other people don't like the Zur-En-Arrh stuff, which I love, and other people just hate Morrison, because why not...).
    It even gets crazier with Final crisis and The return of BW, but B&R at the same time was more conventional.
    I guess it's just not the street level, grimm and gritty Batsy stuff that people used to like. Personally, I don't care too much about that Batman, it always felt a bit forced to me, I prefer "BatGod" as folks refer to Morrison's Batman. IMHO Batman always was BatGod, Morrison just gave him stories that suited that status.