Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I pulled out the longboxes and chose to go on a Matt Wagner run! Started out with Mage which of course had the Grendel - Devil By The Deed as the 2nd story. His artwork was extraordinary back then, so stylish and fluid. Than I went to Grendel - Devil's Legacy, The Devil Inside, & War Child followed by Behold The Devil. Wrapped it up with Batman/Grendel I & II. Next up I'll be diving into Mike Baron & Steve Rude's Nexus. Like Grendel, the book jumped from publisher to publisher. I have the 1st 50 issues from Capital, First, & Dark Horse. Rude's another artist that I'd describe as stylish and fluid! Also pulled out my Rocketeer run by the amazing Dave Stevens, talk about jumping from publisher to publisher! But it's such beautiful, unique work!

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Thank you!
    The Amazon description says: Written by Mike W. Barr and Marv Wolfman Art by Jim Aparo, George Perez, Bill Willingham and others.
    So yeah, it should be that one.
    Barr, right
    Had the writer of the Crow name's in my head
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

All-New Member

Been reading Marvel's Jungle Action series (starring Black Panther) recently, after having just finished Jack Kirby's Black Panther series last week.

Last night I read my one issue of 1970s "Wonder Woman"- #255 I think? Written by Elliot S! Maggin. It's actually kind of hilarious- and I believe intentionally so. It seems to have a meta awareness of itself and some of the silliness of superhero comics during that time, that I don't see much in actual mainstream comics. I will one day find more of that guy's writing.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

I've read Tales to Astonish #2-12. This is the 1979 series which reprints the Sub-Mariner 1968 series. Good stuff. I've also read Batman #296, 303, & 304, and an starting on a bunch of Iron Man issues ranging fro #125-190. All of these are recent purchases from the dollar bin of an LCS. I love dollar bins!

I've also reading Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 and am halfway through volume 2. Stan & Steve didn't waste any time introducing big time villains!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bishop View Post
    Been reading Marvel's Jungle Action series (starring Black Panther) recently, after having just finished Jack Kirby's Black Panther series last week.
    I read the Kirby series a couple of years ago. It wasn't what I expected, but I liked it. It had almost a bit of Indiana Jones style adventure. The couple of random issues of Jungle Action I've read were very good.

Bought a bunch of DC Comics Presents issues from my local comic shop. Just finished reading issue #52 which featured Superman aiding the new Doom Patrol in rescuing a crazed Negative Woman. Fun stuff.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    I read the Kirby series a couple of years ago. It wasn't what I expected, but I liked it. It had almost a bit of Indiana Jones style adventure. The couple of random issues of Jungle Action I've read were very good.
    Kirby's BP was weird. BP seemed like a supporting character or a member of a larger ensemble for the first 10 issues of the book. He spent 2 1/2 issues trying to travel back to Wakanda while a vibranium-created superbeing ravaged the country and a group of recently-introduced family members fought in his place. Finally, once they introduced Kiber the Cruel and added some more superhero aspects to the book did it actually feel like BP was the star.

Fantastic Member

Just finished Eternals 1 to 19 and annual . Fun read .

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    Bought a bunch of DC Comics Presents issues from my local comic shop. Just finished reading issue #52 which featured Superman aiding the new Doom Patrol in rescuing a crazed Negative Woman. Fun stuff.
    Those are fun reads. I've bought a few of those in my LCS dollar bin recently. Bronze Age DC's are good random issue pickups because they're usually one and dones.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bishop View Post
    Kirby's BP was weird. BP seemed like a supporting character or a member of a larger ensemble for the first 10 issues of the book. He spent 2 1/2 issues trying to travel back to Wakanda while a vibranium-created superbeing ravaged the country and a group of recently-introduced family members fought in his place. Finally, once they introduced Kiber the Cruel and added some more superhero aspects to the book did it actually feel like BP was the star.
    Yes, it was weird. A lot of Kirby's Marvel stuff after his return there in the mid-70's was weird, in fact.

Aspiring Comic Creator theBellrhino's Avatar

The most recent classic comic I've read was Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle. I found the Premier Hardcover at Hastings for $5 the other day and couldn't pass it up. It was pretty good, but not as great a story as the hype machine led me to believe.
    "Just because there's a crack in something doesn't mean you throw it away."

Collected Edition and Graphic Novel Collection Current Standing:
    452 Books
    Single Issue Collection Current Standing:
    903 Issues

Spider-Man manga chapters 1-4
    English translation removes some panels, and some pages, completely removed, the missing context is confusing at times
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Made it to Texas Comic Con and had a little bit of money for books- got Uncanny X-men #148 and #163 for a buck each in nice grades, DC's 1970s The Shadow #5 for a buck in nice grade, an early 80s Wonder Woman issue for a buck and 1970s Swamp Thing #18 for $3. They listed that one as VG+ but I'll be darned if I can find any real flaws.All great issues. I spent most of my money on my kids so I got what I could.

I haven't been to a Con in decades. It was fun but they had so many vendors. So few of them seemed to be selling anything completely unique. I wonder if they were paying attention to what everyone else was asking for the same Star Wars figures, etc. I kind of wonder how many deals I could have scored if I was there Sunday afternoon when they were trying to wrap it up and go home...
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Trudging through the old Action Comics Weeklys again.

Why do I do this to myself?