Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Just finished Showcase present: Batman and the outsiders. I think this is the oldest, not Vertigo DC book I've read and I've really liked it, it felt surprisingly modern sometimes, the only thing I disliked is the quality of the book itself, it was just crap (worse than the Marvel Essentials, I don't think I will buy any more showcase collections).
    I would really like to read the rest of the series but I don't think there are other collections published from the first volume.

Finished my smattering of Bill Loebs' Wonder Woman issues. Overall, I really like his WW. Deodato's art, while not terrible, is uber-90's cheesecake although I did like some of Lee Moder's earlier stuff. There was that stretch with Artemis/Wonder Woman where she fought a new stereotype villain, decked out in full 90s absurd muscle bound style. One was a sex trafficker, one attacked a woman's shelter, etc. I have to believe those weren't made with a straight face. Yes, it was the height of the Image 90s but still...

I was actually disappointed when I finished my last issue. Great stories, a ton of great Bolland covers. Good stuff.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Finished my smattering of Bill Loebs' Wonder Woman issues. Overall, I really like his WW. Deodato's art, while not terrible, is uber-90's cheesecake although I did like some of Lee Moder's earlier stuff. There was that stretch with Artemis/Wonder Woman where she fought a new stereotype villain, decked out in full 90s absurd muscle bound style. One was a sex trafficker, one attacked a woman's shelter, etc. I have to believe those weren't made with a straight face. Yes, it was the height of the Image 90s but still...

I was actually disappointed when I finished my last issue. Great stories, a ton of great Bolland covers. Good stuff.
    Artemis was a great addition to the Wonder Woman mythos. She really forced Diana to step up her game and brought some great conflict to the book. Those were some great issues. Did Byrne take over after that? I wasn't crazy about his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I know. I can't think of the comics I was buying in the mid 80's as classics. There were already classic stories from the Silver Age back then.
    How true - but goodness do I remember loving them back then. I can remember going to 7/11 hotly anticipating the latest issue of Secret Wars 2. He is Cap but with black hair!!!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I accidently found a issue I didn't even know existed but I immediately wanted it. I was looking for issues of Ostrander's Hawkworld in the back issues of my LCS and I found a Hawkman issue by Phillips and Brubaker. Seeing as Brubaker is one of my favorite writers, Phillips is one of my favorite artist and Brubaker/Phillips is my favorite writer/artist duo of the last decade it became an unexpected must buy for me. I also bought some Deathstroke the Terminator annuals and some recent issues. I'm pretty sure that over 20 years (if comics still exist) Brubaker/Phillips will be considered one of the 00's classic pairings
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Btw - the last classic comic I read was Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Number 1 on Comixology. published in 1967, this is the first appearance of Lord Death Man. It is an interesting mixture of the campy 1966 Batman, manga, and a truly scary and interesting villain.

All-New Member

I started reading Captain America from the beginning (not the Golden Age stuff, but the Marvel books). Read Tales of Suspense #82-99 and Captain America #100 - 113 last week, and hope to get back into it when I get home from a work trip later this week.

I just finished X-Factor (the 1986 series) #1. Great art, good writing.

Yesterday I read "Blades" by James Robinson and Tim Sale from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight 32-34. A nice little story with good art, though I don't particularly care for the way Sale drew Batman at that point in his career.

Amazing Spider-Man #4.

My comic guy just bought a small collection that had this in it. It's pretty beaten up, but it's my first Spider-Man before #26 and I got it for a very fair price, so I'm pretty excited.

Quote Originally Posted by kaif01 View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #4.

My comic guy just bought a small collection that had this in it. It's pretty beaten up, but it's my first Spider-Man before #26 and I got it for a very fair price, so I'm pretty excited.
    That's awesome. My earliest Amazing Spider-Man is #11, which of course is also beat up.

Incredible Member

My neighbor had a garage sale; I bought 26 issues of Promethea (#1-7, 9-25 & 27-28), 22 issues of Planetary (#1, 5-15, 17-25, 27) and the Rai TPB that collects issues 0-4. Never read any of them before. I've read Promethea #1 so far and enjoyed it.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Astonishing Member

The classic comics i have been reading recently have been the first Fantastic Four stories,i have read the first 30 issues of this great run so far.
    Great read.

Quote Originally Posted by kaif01 View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #4.

Congrats! My earliest ASM is #25.

Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

I'm currently reading The Finder Library Volume 1 by Carla Speed McNeil. It is an epic piece of Science Fiction, but not in the usual way. While most epics tend to be plot based revolving around world-altering events this comic is more focused on the relationships between its characters. What makes it epic is the world that is created in its pages. It is a vivid creation with many facets. It is a world of clashing cultures with various tribes that each have their own customs. It takes place in a domed city with advanced technology and many diverse neighborhoods. It is a bit difficult to follow at times, but it is definitely worth the effort. I think everyone should pick up this puppy.