Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Great preview. These annuals are usually really well-done. I think DC does a considerably better job on their annuals than Marvel, telling solid self-contained stories. Sometimes I get the feeling that DC tries to chop a story up too many times with their arcs, especially with Batman/Superman. Pak has been solid on this series, but I think any writer would struggle to maintain the necessary balance between these two characters. And usually, the annuals bring out the best in both characters.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Great preview. These annuals are usually really well-done. I think DC does a considerably better job on their annuals than Marvel, telling solid self-contained stories. Sometimes I get the feeling that DC tries to chop a story up too many times with their arcs, especially with Batman/Superman. Pak has been solid on this series, but I think any writer would struggle to maintain the necessary balance between these two characters. And usually, the annuals bring out the best in both characters.
    self contained? this preview is heavy on continuity. i prefer annuals like thor, that have 3 self contained contained stories told by different writers and artists.

BANNED

I wish Adrian Syaf was handling the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    self contained? this preview is heavy on continuity. i prefer annuals like thor, that have 3 self contained contained stories told by different writers and artists.
    All you need to know to read this story is that Xa-Du was recently defeated by the duo. Which he explains in the beginning in exposition. Thus, its self-contained.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    All you need to know to read this story is that Xa-Du was recently defeated by the duo. Which he explains in the beginning in exposition. Thus, its self-contained.
    so it isn't self contained at all. the preview even mentions doomsday

There's nothing in this preview that can't be read and understood within the confines of just this story. If that changes in the full issue so be it, but thus far it appears self-contained enough.

In any case its not like it matters. Annuals work good as both entirely independent tales and as big epilogues to an arc if called for. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-31-2015 at 04:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

It's a continuation of the last arc of bat/sup, there is this new power, also new doomsday is diferent from what he was before. Sure the preview make a recap on doom, so it is more friendly.

on the decompressed nature of comics, annuals are better being stand alone instead of end of arcs.

None of which makes it impossible to follow this story on its own judging from what we've seen thus far. Its friendly enough.

As far as the set up of annuals, your preference is just fine as that, but its not any set rule. Just because Marvel does it one way doesn't mean its the undisputable standard.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-31-2015 at 05:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    None of which makes it impossible to follow this story on its own judging from what we've seen thus far. Its friendly enough.

As far as the set up of annuals, your preference is just fine as that, but its not any set rule. Just because Marvel does it one way doesn't mean its the undisputable standard.
    sure it's no impossible to follow, but there is at least 3 different storylines into this issue.

Marvel is not 100% right, but I get more fun that way

You're confusing references for story. Using the solar flare isn't a storyline. Using the Doomsday mist is not a storyline. They're references to past stories incorporated as part of this one story.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-31-2015 at 06:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by junir View Post
    I wish Adrian Syaf was handling the art.
    I take this back. The art by Tom Derenick towards the end is so much better than Adrian Syaf's art on the regular series. Such clean pencils and detailed artwork. Daaaamnnnn

Just a reminder.

This is a thread for the discussion of the linked preview pages.

Please start a new thread marked with 'Spoiler' for the complete issue.

Thanks
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!