Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Johns, Romita Jr. & "Superman" are "The Men Of Tomorrow"

Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. spoke with CBR about building new villains and the "emotional rollercoaster" of working on DC Comics' Superman.

Full article here.

Incredible Member

Its great to see Romita Jr do Superman(and hopefully later down the line, Batman). I just wish he drew him a bit bulkier.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    Its great to see Romita Jr do Superman(and hopefully later down the line, Batman). I just wish he drew him a bit bulkier.
    Romita Jr. did a Punisher/Batman crossover years ago that looked wonderful. It's worth tracking down.

Spectacular Member

Cant wait.

Great writer and fantastic artist :-)

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

They are certainly saying all of the right things to get my interest level off the charts. Really happy to hear Johns say that he is going to be getting more into the supporting cast. If there is one thing underrated about his work it's the great supporting cast members he built up in Green Lantern and Aquaman. And if there is one thing that hasn't been done well with the New 52 Supes (imho) it's building the Superman family. As Johns said - Clark really doesn't know Lois anymore in this continuity

BANNED

Well only Romita mentioned Lois... and they say he doesn't have anybody to talk, I wonder why this...I just wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Well only Romita mentioned Lois... and they say he doesn't have anybody to talk, I wonder why this...I just wonder
    They are just going to make everyone wait for Clark x Lois for even longer time..Nice to see atleast Perry White and Jimmy getting more interactions with Clark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoniac View Post
    They are just going to make everyone wait for Clark x Lois for even longer time..Nice to see atleast Perry White and Jimmy getting more interactions with Clark
    they are going to the long way with clark and lois, but it doesn't mean they can't interact together. they work in the same place. the friendship was never really built. At least do something with Lois that doesn't involve being a robot or possessed. making people wait is a good way of losing readers unless Johns will stay for a really long time

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    they are going to the long way with clark and lois, but it doesn't mean they can't interact together. they work in the same place. the friendship was never really built. At least do something with Lois that doesn't involve being a robot or possessed. making people wait is a good way of losing readers unless Johns will stay for a really long time
    The interactions with Lois will be different because of the secrets Clark keeps from her. Don't even know the friendship between Superman and Lois. They want people he could be Frank with without constantly bringing in Batman or Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

I wonder given how he compares his run to the Lee-Loeb's Hush, does that mean he is only there for a limited duration?
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-20-2014 at 10:41 AM.

It's so strange to hear Johns and Romita talk a lot about the newness of the New 52, including the former close friends and allies he used to be able to speak to but couldn't, yet fail to recognize that keeping secrets from Lois is the oldest of the old stories. What would be new and innovative would be for the New 52 include Lois as a secret keeper early on to avoid retreading old ground. It's sad, though, since the beauty of the original triangle for two is that whatever Clark couldn't share with Lois as Clark, he could share with her as Superman. The fact that he was living life as two different people didn't stop him from seeking Lois as a friend. The New 52 has repeatedly told us Clark and Lois are best friends but has done nothing to show us that's true. New 52 Superman is alone and isolated because he chooses to be. His human life is more a mask than ever and his connections to humanity are superficial at best. The wonderful thing about a reboot is the chance to take the same raw materials and shape them into something new. Creating new original characters is a pretty lazy way to plug up holes your creative decisions caused in the rush to renew Superman's myth.

I'm just happy to know that a Superman title will climb up in the monthly sales charts for a couple of months.

Incredible Member

I am really excited to see what Johns and Romita have planned with Superman. I really hope this successful! I am looking forward to the new characters Ulysses and The Machinist. I love Luthor and Brainiac, but it is great seeing new villains.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I wonder given how he compares his run to the Lee-Loeb's Hush, does that mean he is only there for a limited duration?
    Brrrr.
    But yeah, I dunno, from what they said about it so far, I always pictures a 12 issues arc.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Really excited to see some actual A-list talent and stardom power on the main Superman title, issue #32 can't come out fast enough for me