Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    They could probably cast a minority actress regardless of the name. In fact, the name Kendra has English origins while the name Shiera has Hebrew origins, so if anything Shiera would have made more sense if they just wanted a minority actress. Plus, the name Shiera (pronounced the same as Shayera) is the name more commonly associated with Hawkgirl.
    Uh, I wasn't talking about the name, but the fact that Kendra is visibly not white, whereas Shiera is a white redhead in most depictions.

If they were specifically going for a Latina actress as the casting call suggested, then Kendra is probably better to use from that standpoint.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-31-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Ah, there's no need for the frees her bit. Hawkman's not keeping her prisoner, sure.
    True, Hawkgirl was her own person on JLU. They later on introduced Hro Talek and a person claiming to be Cater Hall but didn't do much with them.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Personally, I think they should stay away from the reincarnation. I just don't think it fits in the Flash-Arrow world.
    The reincarnation angle would make her different and could be played around, not say outright she is reincarnated but maybe she believes she might be.
    Buddhists believe in it, are they too far out there for the Arrowverse?

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    That's not the core idea of the Silver Age Hawks, however
    Yes, it is. That's the very core idea. Space cops who try to catch a criminal from their world.

That's why they are on earth in the first place and that's because they have alien tech that they use primitive weaponery, as a disguise.

Retired

I never knew what ethnicity Kendra was supposed to be in JSA and HAWKMAN. But since she was related to Speed Saunders (and also Shiera Sanders), I assumed she was at least of some European ancestry.

But for that matter, we never really knew Shiera's ancestry in the '40s comics. The range of skin colours was limited back then, so she could have been of Egyptian ancestry. And since she was a reincarnated Egyptian--she was kind of Egyptian anyway.

In the Morales HAWKMAN, it was shown that Carter and Shiera had been through many incarnations--all over the world. So they represent the human community--but let's not get too CLOUD ATLAS about this.

Ultimate Member

Given all of the wacky time-travel stuff over on Flash involving MULTIPLE characters, and soon to be Rip Hunter. Given the whole Lazarus Pit/centuries-old Ra's al Ghul over on Arrow, I'm really not seeing reincarnation as being too "out there" at this point.

Spectacular Member marcotheblerd's Avatar

This side by side pic has me excited.
    Clones.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Heh. Actually, why not have Hawkgirl be the primary driver of this story, and have Carter be the secondary love interest?
    This is probably the best way to go about it. If the reincarnation aspect is in play, Kendra didn't come with all the memories of past lives, they occasionally bled through when confronted with something from her first life. It makes for a much better way to introduce the audience to it than by diving into Carter, who had all the knowledge of all his lives.

Plus, in the comic (Not sure about nu52 Kendra, if she even exists at all tbh) Kendra was introduced first, then Carter and his history came into play after we knew Kendra for some time. Granted, Carter had existed long before then, but any newer readers to JSA didn't have to deal with it all at once.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

Yeah, I think the way to go would be to make Kendra Saunders essentially the Carter Hall character. She remembers her past life and then her consort from that past life--instead of the other way around. But she wouldn't really be like Kendra or Shiera from the comics, for that reason. And Kendra is too complicated. I never really understood it myself. She presumably committed suicide and then Shiera's soul went inside her soulless body, but the Kendra personality persisted. Er, I think that's how it went but I couldnt understand the whole bit with losing her soul and getting another soul.

This kind of stuff makes my head hurt and I wouldn't want to see them trying to explain all that on the TV show. But what would her Egyptian name be--if indeed she was an Egyptian queen in a past life. Maybe they could use the name of an actual Egyptian--but since Khufu's consorts were his half-sisters, they might want to stay away from that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yes, it is. That's the very core idea. Space cops who try to catch a criminal from their world.

That's why they are on earth in the first place and that's because they have alien tech that they use primitive weaponery, as a disguise.
    It's not that they're space cops; it's that they have the combination of low tech and super science.

The former is not unique---it wasn't even unique for the Silver Age. It's the latter that's more unique. Focus on the former and all you get is a watered down Green Lantern.