View Poll Results: Which Superman will die in Convergence?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Earth-1 (Pre-Crisis) (includes Red/Blue, other variants)

2 5.26%
  • Post-Crisis

0 0%
  • Pre-Flashpoint

8 21.05%
  • Earth-2 (Pre-Crisis)

2 5.26%
  • All-Star

1 2.63%
  • Kingdome Come

0 0%
  • Pre-Crisis Superboy

0 0%
  • Red Son

0 0%
  • Earth-0

2 5.26%
  • Earth-1 (current)

2 5.26%
  • Tangent

1 2.63%
  • One Million

1 2.63%
  • Injustice

8 21.05%
  • Other/none of the above

5 13.16%
  • All of the above

6 15.79%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I agree on most everything you wrote there aside from this. Where has New 52 Superman become a cold, paranoid hypocrite who went so far as to spy on all of his friends via Brother Eye? Am I missing something?
    That's fair; he's certainly not that extreme. I'm referring to his attitude as written by Johns, his almost Peter Parker-esque navel gazing as written by Lobdell, and his alienated, self-pitying phase under Perez. His characterization has improved since then, but there was some unnecessary angst, anger, and grit for Superman post-Flashpoint that I've never enjoyed. I mean, the guy never smiles when he has the uniform on, you know?
    Last edited by Xon-Ur; 04-14-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    That's fair; he's certainly not that extreme. I'm referring to his attitude as written by Johns, his almost Peter Parker-esque navel gazing as written by Lobdell, and his alienated, self-pitying phase under Perez. His characterization has improved since then, but there was some unnecessary angst, anger, and grit for Superman post-Flashpoint that I've never enjoyed. I mean, the guy never smiles when he has the uniform on, you know?
    Morrison had him smile plenty....and Johns doesn't write Superman angsty or gritty (IMO). Lobdell was ok...until he had Superman risk Lois Lane's life to protect his secret. That turned me off to his run. The Perez story actually explained Superman is replaced by a duplicate for much of that arc.

However, I get your feelings on some of it. Most covers have him looking angry or pissed off. Although that started sometime in the late 90's, so it can't be laid at the current versions feet...and I remember the early words used by DC brass leading up to the reboot were "Brooding" and "angst" and angrier" and touting him making more "questionable choices". However, at his heart ultimately he was none of these things. The only two things that you can "blame" on the current version is the Jim Lee suit (which is going away for awhile at least) and the Wonder Woman test marketing stu...i mean "romance". Otherwise, Superman today is pretty much written on the whole as he always has.