All-New Member

Default Moments when Superman wasn't so Super-Nice!

I read this article about Superman being a jerk: http://whatculture.com/comics/10-mom...-real-jerk.php and it made me think about those moments when Superman isn't at his best, like when he is at his most human.

What's your favorite? In terms of being a jerk, I think all the ridiculous scenarios from the "Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen" days are hard to top. But in terms of just failing to live up to his own super-standards, I can't think of too many. Obviously lying to Lois for years is up there.

What do you guys think?

I think the first issue of Morrison's Action run fits the bill. "Treat people right, Metropolis, or get a visit from me!" Of course, the entire point of that is that Clark was still just a proto-Superman at the time, and not yet the hero we know he will become. I love that swagger and that confidence, but Clark really did swing over the line into jacka$$ territory during his t-shirt days.

Of course all the Jimmy Olsen stuff that makes up a majority of Super-dickery.

I also thought Clark was a jerk in Action 775. He just sort of forces his world views on the Elite and threatens physical violence if they dont comply. Of course the Elite were a bunch of psychotic monsters so, by comparison, it seems rational and proper. But Clark's *real* issue with them had nothing to do with the innocent lives lost or the needless property damage, and everything to do with their views on lethal force against criminals and their methodology. And bear in mind, the Elite were not much more brutal than a lot of street level characters in the DCU, they just happened to be on Clark's power level. All in all, Clark comes out looking like a preening, self-righteous jerk when he should have been a voice for common sense.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

A majority of Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane and Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen issues. Also, Morrison's New 52 Superman, renouncing his American citizenship, and Man of Steel necksnapper.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I don't think any of Morrison's run fits the bill. There's a difference to me between being a jerk to people who don't deserve it and being aggressive with criminals. The latter is well-deserved, and does not go against his own standards.

The only recent examples I can think of where I thought he was being an inappropriate jerk was Grounded, especially when he got pissy at a reporter of all people for asking him legitimate questions, and the time in Lobdell's run when he got overly mad at Kara for dropping in on him as Clark Kent while Lois was around.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-20-2014 at 04:39 PM.