Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default TV Rights and the X-Men

Since the question comes up in discussion now and then, figured I'd pass this along.

At the ECCC Marvel Animated panel, Vp of animation, Cort Lane, confirmed that the rights to do an animated X-Men series are owned by Fox.

So yeah, no loopholes there. Fox currently owns all movie and TV rights for the X-Men and a share of the merchandising rights. It really doesn't look like there's much Disney/Marvel can actually do with the franchise outside of the comics and possibly video games.

Doesn't address any of the questions people have raised, such as why Marvel would decide to give Fox the animation rights now and what they got in return.

Yeah, none of this has been confirmed and it seems that the X-Men were still appearing in Marvel animated shows as late as last year from what other posters are saying on the Complex thread.

This whole thing is a tad bit fishy.

-If Fox owns the animation rights - When did they aquire those? They weren't part of the original deal. Neither Evo nor WatXM was made by Fox. Those are credited to Marvel Studios/Entertainment.
    -If Disney let Fox have the rights this year - What massive thing did Disney get in return - it's not like they needed the money. The IP is way more valuable to them.

(Btw this article states that only Wolverine has appeared Marvel shows, which is totally incorrect - loads of the X-Men (Cyke, Jean. Storm,Kitty, etc..) appeared in episodes of the Super Hero Squad show...that's a pretty massive factual error which tells me this journalist hasn't done their homework at all (it's internet copy/paste journalism at its laziest) Also where did this journalist obtain this wonderful piece of information? When did DisMarvel decide to "sneak" Wolvie past Fox...and if Fox did own the rights...they'd sue DisMarvel in a heartbeat for using their most profitable character without permission - no matter what he was wearing... ;-) )
    Last edited by Beezzi; 03-31-2015 at 04:59 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Since the question comes up in discussion now and then, figured I'd pass this along.

At the ECCC Marvel Animated panel, Vp of animation, Cort Lane, confirmed that the rights to do an animated X-Men series are owned by Fox.

So yeah, no loopholes there. Fox currently owns all movie and TV rights for the X-Men and a share of the merchandising rights. It really doesn't look like there's much Disney/Marvel can actually do with the franchise outside of the comics and possibly video games.
    This is very important and actually explains a lot of why the X-men aren't very visible.

This is a strange development. When exactly did Fox gain the animation rights? How can they have those rights when Wolverine keeps appearing in Ultimate Spider-Man? He's still a mutant. He's still considered an X-man. It shouldn't matter whether or not he's mentioned as being part of the team.

Also, X-men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-men were not attributed to Fox. X-men Evolution aired on WB and Cartoon Network, neither of which are Fox affiliated companies. I think those are Time Warner and Viacom respectively. And Wolverine and the X-men wasn't that long ago. It aired back in 2009. How did those rights change? What happened in between?

I know that Fox owns the movie and live action rights. But that never applied to animation. I don't think it even applied to motion comics. So when did this change? When was it even announced? I can't find any news articles from Marvel or Fox mentioning this.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

And Deadpool appeared in Ultimate Spider-man

Also, what does Wolverine's solo outfit look like? He has a different uniform for when he's not with the X-Men?

I never knew that....How is that different from his X-Men one? No Xs on the belt buckle? It's a lighter shade of yellow? You learn something new everyday....

I wonder if Wolvie has loads of different versions of his uniform...Maybe a sparkly one for nights out on the town? A cotton one for hot summers?
    Last edited by Beezzi; 03-31-2015 at 05:19 AM.

Pulled this from the other thread. These are all the non-FOX x-men animated appearances we've been able to collect.

so if fox does own the animation, when did that happen and what were the circumstances? how did it happen? and are marvel breaking the law by putting x-men in their cartoons?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    so we have the following (at least):

1. wolverine and the x-men with FOX completely unaccredited.
    2. wolverine starring in marvel super-hero squad.
    3. wolverine showing up in ultimate spider-man.
    4. deadpool showing up in ultimate spider-man.
    5. mutants are mentioned in ultimate spider-man.
    6. sauron showing up in hulk smash.
    7. jean grey showing up in the teen iron man show.

8. (?) and then, there was also the motion-capture animation cartoon of joss whedon's astonishing x-men.

have i missed anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoxon View Post
    8. Star-Lord explicitly mentioned the X-Men as some of Earth's greatest heroes in Ultimate Spider-Man
    9. Wolverine was in Avengers: EMH
    10. Wolverine & the X-Men is canon to Avengers: EMH
    11. Weapon X showed up in Season 2 of Avengers: EMH (Vision obtained adamantium from them)
    12. Magneto was in Iron Man: Armored Adventures (same episode that Jean was in)
    13. Xavier was in Iron Man: Armored Adventures (again, same episode as Jean & Magneto)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Also Jean and Storm showed up in couple of episodes of the super-hero squad.

Too bad FOX doesn't do Saturday morning cartoons anymore (They don't right? Kind of assuming here.).

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Too bad FOX doesn't do Saturday morning cartoons anymore (They don't right? Kind of assuming here.).
    fox typically license their animation to other studios to produce content.

Wacker said not long ago that the reason they won't do an X-Men cartoon is because of the dark tone of the movie. Which is a stupid answer but if you have to dodge a question I guess you go with whatever.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55040

Third to the last question.
    Last edited by autbey; 03-31-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I know that Fox owns the movie and live action rights. But that never applied to animation. I don't think it even applied to motion comics. So when did this change? When was it even announced? I can't find any news articles from Marvel or Fox mentioning this.
    Fox owns animated film rights, but Marvel still could do an animated series which is proven with aces's post. Disney doesn't want anything to do with the X-Men though, they prefer them to just go away.

If by "confirmed" you mean "blatantly lie" then sure...
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    Wacker said not long ago that the reason they won't do an X-Men cartoon is because of the dark tone of the movie. Which is a stupid answer but if you have to dodge a question I guess you go with whatever.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55040

Third to the last question.
    Thanks for the link...

This basically confirms Marvel still has the rights and Lane misspoke...(or Wacker misspoke) if Marvel didn't Stephen Wacker would've corrected it.

Just quoting it for anyone that doesn't want to bother clicking through.

Question: Animation has a longer lead time on comics, so I imagine -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that even beyond the current shows people know about, there is time spent developing new projects for the future. How much is that a part of your job? And, since it's something people certainly seem to be curious about, is a new X-Men animated series from Marvel Animation something that's at least possible -- if not actually in the works?

Wacker:...and there are no plans for an X-Men animated series. Aside from a few loud places online, I'm not sure there's much call for a kids show, given the tone of the films. We do see an X-Men or two in one of the new seasons, so there's that.

We do have some other new shows cooking up though. There should be announcements soon if Arune [Singh, Marvel's Executive Director of Television Communications] has done his job!
    Article is dated 22/08/2014...
    Last edited by Beezzi; 03-31-2015 at 07:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    Pulled this from the other thread. These are all the non-FOX x-men animated appearances we've been able to collect.

so if fox does own the animation, when did that happen and what were the circumstances? how did it happen? and are marvel breaking the law by putting x-men in their cartoons?
    Storm , Wolverine,Nightcrawler and Cyclops in Black Panther cartoons series.