Default Your reaction if it was revealed Joker could break the fourth wall?

What would you do if a comic series was written that was about Joker and it revealed he knew was a comic book character? During this story Joker was just going about his life robbing banks, and being mobster all while narrating and talking to the audience even saying to the readers "Sheesh how about enough of this Bat God crap I mean seriously we get it your a bad ass!"

During this story he starts pissing off heroes like Superman and Batman who scream at him "Joker who the hell are you talking to? Nobody is there you crazy lunatic!" to which he replies with "It's a fourth a wall don't worry about it."

It could work, in the right story.

It's not exactly what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure he spoke directly to the reader when he was playing "Crypt Keeper" in those Arkham books that focused on different Bat-villains.

Incredible Member

I would like to see that!

Astonishing Member

I would think Giffen was trying too hard.

Spectacular Member

I'd love to see Keith Giffen get to do some Batman and especially a Joker story. Giffen's used the character in other series probably most famously having Batman knock Guy Gardiner out cold in Justice League, but I don't think he has actually ever done any Batman or Detective or really even one of the side titles.

I prefer the Timm and Dini style where's its more knowing and wryly subtle - pop culture references or meta comments that are a wink to the readers without being obvious (which is more of a Harley Quinn ahem Deadpool trick).

Morrison also did a bit of this in Clown at Midnight and RIP; Joker taking on David Bowie-esqe alter egos to reflect major periods in the comics; talking to almost directly to the reader about the nature of the Batman Joker dynamic, apophenia and building boxes etc. Joker consistently demonstrates a level of awareness over and above any other character and outside of the bounds of his fictional universe: the super sanity.

BANNED

If it was the Batman the Animated series version of the Joker, then yeah I could see something like that happening.

Fantastic Member

I think it would work better if he was aware that there WAS a fourth wall but remained unable to break it - he knows 'The Author' is making the characters do all these things but can't break free of that control. Directly addressing the readers though would be a step too far for me, just a bit too goofy/weird, though if he was commenting on ways like how Batman was different in the 60s, or noticing similar plot points occasionally that would work I think.

Nepenthes has it right, acknowledging the readers' presence without directly addressing them is the way to go with a meta-aware Joker for me.