Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Legacy characters: Where's the outrage for Scott Lang?

So we've had certain posters derail most threads about certain characters about how much they dislike characters who assume the name of a different character (e.g. Kamala Khan taking the name of Ms. Marvel). So here's a question for those people who claim to hate all of these characters: Ant-Man is a current ongoing comic with a legacy character in the starring role. A legacy character is someone who assumed the Ant-Man identity after that identity had been created by a pre-existing character. Can you please link to posts you've made in the past as to how much you dislike the character of Scott Lang and how it's a disgrace that Marvel continues to try to push him as a character? I don't want to hear how much you hate the character now, I want a post that is dated before this thread was created where you expressed such an opinion. And if you can't, why the heck not?

You go into thread after thread to complain about any female character who assumes a pre-existing identity, or anytime a person of colour does so. So where's your outrage for Scott Lang? And why haven't you expressed it before now? Why does he get a free pass? He's currently got his own ongoing and is going to be starring in a movie, with the REAL Ant-Man relegated to a support role (and who knows if he'll be around for Ant-Man 2 or if they'll kill him off). Where's your outrage for this high profile Scott Lang and him hijacking the current Ant-Man ongoing?
    Last edited by JohnLynch; 03-31-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh SNAP!!!!! That post is serving up some truth bomb realness!!! And Scott Lang is "stealing" the lead role in the upcoming film too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    So we've had certain posters derail most threads about certain characters about how much they dislike characters who assume the name of a different character (e.g. Kamala Khan taking the name of Ms. Marvel). So here's a question for those people: Ant-Man is a current ongoing comic with a legacy character in the starring role. A legacy character is someone who assumed the Ant-Man identity after that identity had been created by a pre-existing character. Can you please link to posts you've made in the past as to how much you dislike the character of Scott Lang and how it's a disgrace that Marvel continues to try to push him as a character? I don't want to hear how much you hate the character now, I want a post that is dated before this thread was created where you expressed such an opinion. And if you can't, why the heck not?

You go into thread after thread to complain about any female character who assumes a pre-existing identity, or anytime a person of colour does so. So where's your outrage for Scott Lang? And why haven't you expressed it before now? Why does he get a free pass? He's currently got his own ongoing and is going to be starring in a movie, with the REAL Ant-Man relegated to a support role (and who knows if he'll be around for Ant-Man 2 or if they'll kill him off). Where's your outrage for this high profile Scott Lang and him hijacking the current Ant-Man ongoing?
    Oh man....you got them in the feels.

Maybe because not too many care about or even know Ant-Man?

Hank Pym after all is mostly famous for one thing and that has not been "stolen" yet.

Ok, he did invent Ultron too of course and that will apparently be given to Tony Stark. Has there been any protests on this front?

Well, I think in the ant man appreciation thread, there was some hate for scott. Scott probably got more hate around the time he debuted, like Ben Reilly did after he replaced Peter Parker. Though a lot of that hate also had to do with Clone Saga being a huge mess.

That, and if they're making an an man movie, it has to be Scott. If it was hank, the media would find out about the slap, and that would be a PR nightmare for marvel. So many angry articles, tweets, and blog posts.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 03-31-2015 at 04:40 AM.

Its just that Ant Man is so small, that his fanbase's outrage is equally small and therefor goes unnoticed.

edit: I'm into Lang.
    Last edited by Fokken; 03-31-2015 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Its just that Ant Man is so small, that his fanbase's outrage is equally small and therefor goes unnoticed.

edit: I'm into Lang.
    There's your answer. When Marvel announced movie for Ant-Man, I didn't even know the lead will go for Scott. As someone who's new to comic book, all I know about Ant-man is.. he beat his wife??? But later he regret it?? Thus he reformed and dating another women or something like that?? Sorry, Ant-man fans. I'm much for interested in his ex-wife, Janet van Dyne. Her costume is quite cool.
    Last edited by Kencana; 04-01-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Well, I think in the ant man appreciation thread, there was some hate for scott. Scott probably got more hate around the time he debuted, like Ben Reilly did after he replaced Peter Parker. Though a lot of that hate also had to do with Clone Saga being a huge mess.
    Great. Are these the same people currently poo-pooing on the recent female and non-white "legacy" characters? If not, where's their hate for Scott Lang? These people don't say "I like character XXX and therefore don't want someone taking his identity" they say "Legacy characters are awful! Why can't new characters get their own name! Bring back YYYY! Stop shoving legacy characters down our throat!" If they feel so strongly on this issue as they claim, they should likewise finding it disgusting that Scott Lang currently has an ongoing.

Also if these people are going to claim "it's old news. I've run out of hate" then I must ask how long before something gets classified as old news. 1 year? 2years? 3 years? End of their first ongoing under the "legacy" identity?
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    Great. Are these the same people currently poo-pooing on the recent female and non-white "legacy" characters? If not, where's their hate for Scott Lang? These people don't say "I like character XXX and therefore don't want someone taking his identity" they say "Legacy characters are awful! Why can't new characters get their own name! Bring back YYYY! Stop shoving legacy characters down our throat!" If they feel so strongly on this issue as they claim, they should likewise finding it disgusting that Scott Lang currently has an ongoing.

Also if these people are going to claim "it's old news. I've run out of hate" then I must ask how long before something gets classified as old news. 1 year? 2years? 3 years? End of their first ongoing under the "legacy" identity?
    I wouldn't know I dont plan on reading ANAD Avengers either. Maybe they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Maybe because not too many care about or even know Ant-Man?

Hank Pym after all is mostly famous for one thing and that has not been "stolen" yet.
    If that one thing is helping to create the Wasp then I agree.

I like Pym and I think he is pretty powerful all things considered but I can't say I ever been a fan of his. Giving the Wasp her powers is probably his greatest achievement as far as I'm concern.

Sweeping generalizations <wags his finger disapprovingly>
    Last edited by Fokken; 03-31-2015 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    If that one thing is helping to create the Wasp then I agree.
    Well, it did involve Wasp at least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Well, it did involve Wasp at least.

Why are we bringimg that up again?

It's not like he beat her to death or did it again.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I think there are a lot of reasons why Scott Lang is better received than the contemporary "legacy" characters.

First, Hank Pym literally had three other identities to choose from--Giant-Man, Goliath and Yellowjacket--and he bounced in-between them interchangeably. His original identity was being neglected at that time in favor of the much more visually dynamic Yellowjacket. The Ant-Man gear was just lying around ... why not put it to good use? It wasn't like the original Cap or Thor, who were rendered physically incapable of carrying on as usual, so there wasn't really any need for nerd-rage. "Well, Scott, I'm off doing this now ... you can wear my hand-me-downs."

Secondly, we can all agree in hindsight that Hank Pym really isn't that likable a character. The above panel illustrates his lowest moment (I recently found a copy of my own, and it still makes me cringe to see it). I was quite okay with him just being "Dr. Pym" in West Coast Avengers, because it seemed like every time he put on a costume, he ended up doing or causing something horrible. "Ummm ... guys? I kinda hate to tell you this, but remember that awesome robot I was working on?"

Thirdly, Scott was a unique kind of hero at that time. He was an actual criminal given a chance to make amends by the very person he tried to steal from. Plus the whole single dad angle was something different and refreshing. In a few short appearances he quickly proved himself as more endearing than his predecessor, and eventually Cassie herself grew (pun intended) into a great character herself.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

There's an easy answer to this, its cause its been 36 years. If there was an outrage people got over it by now.

Personally i like legacy characters, but oddly i much prefer Pym as Ant-Man. But again, its been 36 years, and Hank wasn't using the Ant-Man persona when Scott stole it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-31-2015 at 10:30 AM.