Page 141 of 303 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 4544
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    ... that's your gripe? seriously? He was never going to keep the broken horn forever, and it going away doesn't change who he is. The appearance is all superficial, as long as the characterization remains the same, it's fine. He was likely keeping it for a reason, and maybe that will be addressed in the final issue of Loki, or in Aaron's run. And like i said, 8 years have passed. Other characters it will probably not seem like any time has passed but by necessity Loki has to live all 8 of those years.
    I gotta somewhat disagree about the horns. The other day, I was thinking, somewhat jokingly, that Loki's morality tended to roughly correspond with the size of his horns. For instance, in blood brothers and as King Loki: huge friggin horns (although Blood brothers was also because of Risbic's love for them). As kid Loki: itty bitty horns. As heroic!Loki: wings (no actual horns). AoA Loki seems to break the pattern at first glance, but you could even argue there that his horns are accurate: they're definitely not as prominent as they are on King!Loki or more evil versions, but they're still there, recalling both his origin as Ikol and the potential in him to regress back to full villainy.

As for current Loki: his horns are broken.

Like I said, I was mostly thinking about this in a joking manner until I came upon that last one, and it dawned on me oholyshit, they're broken.

Now, I don't think he's actually going to be evil again because they gave him his horns back - however funny the slightly demented part of me finds that idea - I just think they might not be paying as much attention to the symbolism as Al and Lee were.

Astonishing Member

I love how this concluded. It's so emotional. I'm happy for both. The only thing that surprised me was discovering that alternate!AoA was wearing a mask this whole time, I guess it was a homage to his old and evil days. And I like that ultimately Loki's plan for redemption worked out in the end. It was long and so convoluted. I had missed that reference in the conversation in my first read because I speed read this book every time a new issue comes out. So Loki tricked himself, essentially making it necessary for King Loki to go looking for AoA and try and ruin him too but sooner rather than later. Only his plan failed or rather his plan was meant to fail so AoA could finally achieve what he was always meant to be (becoming god of stories). I always thought it happened by chance, that Siege Loki just wanted to make people think he'd changed by making superficial efforts but I guess it wasn't by chance after all since we now know his change isn't just appearances alone but who and what he is and is outlook on life (at least that's what I understood from the conversation between the Lokis). I love this book. Most of all I love that Loki doesn't reject himself (the bad/evil in him) he knows it's there and that's okay. I am going to Agent of Asgard quite terribly. And hope we'll eventually get a continuation Loki solo some day.

I know it can always change in the future and likely will, this issue doesn't even pretend this NuLoki is permanent. I just hope the writers after Ewing don't undo all of this self actualisation Loki's finally achieved (a process that took years) by returning him back into his pure evil ways, with a one track mind (destroying Thor and Asgard/Midgard domination) and that includes Aaron as well. From what I hear he's a brilliant Thor writer, I only hope he doesn't ruin the Loki I've come to love and adore.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 08-19-2015 at 01:13 PM.

I loved this issue and this book. When i get the cash, i'm going to be collecting this book and the road to it.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Riimi View Post
    I gotta somewhat disagree about the horns. The other day, I was thinking, somewhat jokingly, that Loki's morality tended to roughly correspond with the size of his horns. For instance, in blood brothers and as King Loki: huge friggin horns (although Blood brothers was also because of Risbic's love for them). As kid Loki: itty bitty horns. As heroic!Loki: wings (no actual horns). AoA Loki seems to break the pattern at first glance, but you could even argue there that his horns are accurate: they're definitely not as prominent as they are on King!Loki or more evil versions, but they're still there, recalling both his origin as Ikol and the potential in him to regress back to full villainy.

As for current Loki: his horns are broken.

Like I said, I was mostly thinking about this in a joking manner until I came upon that last one, and it dawned on me oholyshit, they're broken.

Now, I don't think he's actually going to be evil again because they gave him his horns back - however funny the slightly demented part of me finds that idea - I just think they might not be paying as much attention to the symbolism as Al and Lee were.
    I get that the horns are kinda symbolic, and I do think the broken horn had a meaning. But I just don't think it's a big deal if that symbolism is ignored, as long as his personality is correct. Him having larger horns won't make him evil. There have been times when he has had NO horns, and instead had little wings on the side of his head, yet was evil. The crown Kid Loki wore was just straight up copied from Walt Simonson's Loki back in the day. So it's not like it's always been that the size of the horns reflected his inner evil.

anyway.

I think it ended well for Loki, I think he’s in a good place now. Thoroughly gray area, no longer a perpetual victim whose only purpose seems to be to feel sorry for. He’s accepted himself, good and bad, and has real agency now. I am excited to see what’s next for him now that we are (hopefully) out of ‘oh, poor baby’ land.

That being said, I was kinda disappointed with the hand-wavey nature of the final issue, and that him surviving the incursion and all didn’t actually have any impact for anyone but him. (well, and I assume the gods he has in his pocket, but that wasn’t addressed HERE. Presumably it will be addressed in Thor, or maybe Thors) I get that the hand waveyness was kinda part of the message, so you could make what you wanted of it, but I just kinda was hoping for something more impactful beyond him.

And truthfully, I hope he ditches that staff. Completely pointless nod to the movies, had no bearing on anything in the story. I don’t think he needs to be borrowing random little details from the movies, especially ones that make no sense. (the scepter wasn’t even HIS, it was Thanos’ he was just borrowing it)

Not a bad ending at all there with # 17. I'm curious to see what Marvel plans on doing with him now.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    And truthfully, I hope he ditches that staff. Completely pointless nod to the movies, had no bearing on anything in the story. I don’t think he needs to be borrowing random little details from the movies, especially ones that make no sense. (the scepter wasn’t even HIS, it was Thanos’ he was just borrowing it)
    Same here. That staff was completely out of place in the story.

I liked the issue, and I really liked this run. In many ways, it's the conclusion of Kieron Gillen's run as well.

I'm rather annoyed, though, at what Marvel (and DC too, but a bit less) keeps forcing us to do - to follow creators, not characters. It looks like the next time Loki appears, his personality will be completel butchered into being back to evil, simpler Loki.

Funny that even Loki himself kind of admits it. "We're all going to change again. That's just life". So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post

I liked the issue, and I really liked this run. In many ways, it's the conclusion of Kieron Gillen's run as well.

I'm rather annoyed, though, at what Marvel (and DC too, but a bit less) keeps forcing us to do - to follow creators, not characters. It looks like the next time Loki appears, his personality will be completel butchered into being back to evil, simpler Loki.

Funny that even Loki himself kind of admits it. "We're all going to change again. That's just life". So true.
    If only there are more continuity nuts like Al Ewing...

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post

I don't think we've seen any evidence that he will be reverting to evil Loki. We've seen a grand total of ONE picture of him, and while the design was tweaked a bit, imo it's a pic that fits with what Ewing set up here. The only thing we can be certain of is that his parentage will be dealt with, since Laufey was resurrected. And while it is probable that he will be an antagonist to Jane, at least to start, that doesn't mean he will be evil. Remember that Jason Aaron did co-write the Tenth Realm, where Loki saved the day. Ewing left a few danglers here, the Asgardians were never let out again, Verity is still all ghosty, etc. and I would assume he wouldn't have left these things dangling so blatantly unless he knew Jason Aaron would pick things up, and trusted him to do so. I bet you anything Ewing told Aaron beforehand that he would be leaving things this way, and they discussed what would come next.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-19-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Spectacular Member

Is it likely (or guaranteed; I know not how these things work) we'll get a complete collection/omnibus/all-issues-in-one-book of this? And when that might happen? Cuz I very much would love to buy this in one big package. This has definitely been one of my favorite runs.

The ending was so meta, it was awesome. I like to think of it as a general message, to comic fans especially, about the malleable nature of comic characters and stories and how they'll always be changing. Heck the current sympathetic viewpoint of Loki we have now is a relatively new development, as is Loki's own much more calmer and neutral nature now. Even his visual design, it's hard to argue it wasn't influenced by the MCU, Tom Hiddleston, the whole Draco-in-Leather-Pants phenomenon. Or maybe the world just didn't buy the black-and-white morality anymore and Loki as a character had to change to suit the world and audience.

I think the whole 'take a break' thing is also partially referring to how we haven't really seen what the Norse gods' roles are going to be in the All-New post-Secret Wars universe just yet. At least for Loki, I don't believe anything's been set in stone.

Spectacular Member

Oh wow, this was just... beyond amazing. I swear, out of an entire series that, with every issue, I just loved, I think this final issue has to be by far my favorite. It was powerful in a way that comic's are rare to achieve, profoundly moving, and with a truly sincere and always relevant message in the end, that it's okay to be who you are, good and bad and all, and that you should never let anyone tell you or dictate to you who you should be.

I thought the final "confrontation" between King Loki and Loki god of Stories was just phenomenally poignant and brilliantly done. It was heartbreaking, but beautiful, the way that Loki told himself that it's alright, just... damn, I don't even have the words. After everything, everything he went through, for him to achieve this change, this true change finally, to accept himself, and through that acceptance, to let go of all the things that essentially led to his own self-destruction, his anger and his pain and his hate, to let go of the need for others to accept him, seriously, again, this comic just reached a level of emotional impact that comics rarely do. My hat's off to Al and Lee for their absolutely spectacular work. I'm going to miss this comic so damn much. I've loved every moment of it.

And I just want to give a shout out to the beginning too, with Loki truly embracing what it means to be a trickster by tricking Those who Sit Above and messing with their minds like that. Only Loki would be able to defeat so powerful an opponent through nothing but word play. Bad-ass moment for him, and the rest was just beautiful and heartwarming.

Gah, I won't soon forget this amazing issue, or this amazing series. Thanks so much again Al and Lee!

Oh, I also loved that the series ended with Loki saying "Would I lie to you?", a call back to the title of the very first issue. Ah, this was just such a perfect series.
    Last edited by cosmicjoke21; 08-20-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjoke21 View Post
    Oh wow, this was just... beyond amazing. I swear, out of an entire series that, with every issue, I just loved, I think this final issue has to be by far my favorite. It was powerful in a way that comic's are rare to achieve, profoundly moving, and with a truly sincere and always relevant message in the end, that it's okay to be who you are, good and bad and all, and that you should never let anyone tell you or dictate to you who you should be.

I thought the final "confrontation" between King Loki and Loki god of Stories was just phenomenally poignant and brilliantly done. It was heartbreaking, but beautiful, the way that Loki told himself that it's alright, just... damn, I don't even have the words. After everything, everything he went through, for him to achieve this change, this true change finally, to accept himself, and through that acceptance, to let go of all the things that essentially led to his own self-destruction, his anger and his pain and his hate, to let go of the need for others to accept him, seriously, again, this comic just reached a level of emotional impact that comics rarely do. My hat's off to Al and Lee for their absolutely spectacular work. I'm going to miss this comic so damn much. I've loved every moment of it.

And I just want to give a shout out to the beginning too, with Loki truly embracing what it means to be a trickster by tricking Those who Sit Above and messing with their minds like that. Only Loki would be able to defeat so powerful an opponent through nothing but word play. Bad-ass moment for him, and the rest was just beautiful and heartwarming.

Gah, I won't soon forget this amazing issue, or this amazing series. Thanks so much again Al and Lee!
    Beautifully put. I think the fact that they're letting Loki go down this road is, at least to me, a sign that some parts of Marvel's upstairs management does see some benefit in allowing the characters to evolve and grow rather then to stay stagnent. Good on them for that.

So now that Loki has finally accpepted himself, where do you think the dangles are going to lead?

Sif noted that Loki wasn't the same, will she be the first to extend her hand when things are righted in the universe?
    Do you guys think that Thor will realize what's really happening and eventually forgive his brother?
    What about Odin and Freya? How are those relationships going to go now?
    Then we have the issue of Loki's god friends, do you think Jason is going to let them play a part in things?
    Oh and let's not forget Cul, I know we didn't see him in the picture, or at least I didn't catch him, but do you think that he's going to try to use Loki in some way at some point?
    Also now that Loki's been cleaned up as it were, accepting himself and all, are we going to get him trying at least some what to repair former relationships with others, both friends and family?
    Anyone think he may have some part in dealing with the whole new Fire demon?

I don't think he's going to be an adversary for Jane, as much as a trickster in that role to her, maybe even helping her in ways. As for weapons, give him back Wounded Wand please. That ice sword is his, and he should get it back. Oh and what sort of power sets do you see him having as of now.

My only issue with the look is that he's not clean shaven. I'm not a fan of hair on faces, if there is hair then at least go full beard or something of the like. Always thought that set Loki apart from Thor, Thor did the whole beard thing when he wanted to, to show his strength, Loki always took on the clean shaven look, and honestly looks better as such, because it suits his face more. He's got a more angular face, which tends not to carry the bearded look as well. But that's just me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Beautifully put. I think the fact that they're letting Loki go down this road is, at least to me, a sign that some parts of Marvel's upstairs management does see some benefit in allowing the characters to evolve and grow rather then to stay stagnent. Good on them for that.

So now that Loki has finally accpepted himself, where do you think the dangles are going to lead?

Sif noted that Loki wasn't the same, will she be the first to extend her hand when things are righted in the universe?
    Do you guys think that Thor will realize what's really happening and eventually forgive his brother?
    What about Odin and Freya? How are those relationships going to go now?
    Then we have the issue of Loki's god friends, do you think Jason is going to let them play a part in things?
    Oh and let's not forget Cul, I know we didn't see him in the picture, or at least I didn't catch him, but do you think that he's going to try to use Loki in some way at some point?
    Also now that Loki's been cleaned up as it were, accepting himself and all, are we going to get him trying at least some what to repair former relationships with others, both friends and family?
    Anyone think he may have some part in dealing with the whole new Fire demon?

I don't think he's going to be an adversary for Jane, as much as a trickster in that role to her, maybe even helping her in ways. As for weapons, give him back Wounded Wand please. That ice sword is his, and he should get it back. Oh and what sort of power sets do you see him having as of now.

My only issue with the look is that he's not clean shaven. I'm not a fan of hair on faces, if there is hair then at least go full beard or something of the like. Always thought that set Loki apart from Thor, Thor did the whole beard thing when he wanted to, to show his strength, Loki always took on the clean shaven look, and honestly looks better as such, because it suits his face more. He's got a more angular face, which tends not to carry the bearded look as well. But that's just me.
    Yeah, it definitely shows that Marvel and it's management understands that sometimes it's good to let characters grow and change, because that's just basics of good story telling and writing. If character's don't change in some way, you can't have a good story.

As to your questions, there's a lot that can happen, and it'll be fascinating to see if and/or how those things develop. I hope Aaron respects the journey and character arc that Al was able to take Loki through, and I'm confident that he will.

Honestly, Loki over the last, few years, first with Gillen, and now with Al Ewing and Lee Garbett, and of course Tom Hiddleston's amazing portrayal in the films, has become one of Marvel's richest, most complex and moving characters, so far beyond just a mere villain or antagonist, but someone who's every bit as layered and wonderful as an traditional hero, and much more so than some. It's amazing to see this character go from black and white, mid-level villain, to a just absolutely extraordinary and profound figure who represents so much of what it really means to be the way people are, and who, ultimately, gave us through his own journey the message of what it means to be yourself, and being alright with that. I really just can't say enough about this comic. It really did move me so, so much.
    Last edited by cosmicjoke21; 08-20-2015 at 12:31 AM.

I know a lot of people here are sad to see the series end. But I am excited. Thinking on it the past day, I realized I have really, REALLY been wanting Loki to just.... get over things, and go out and HAVE ADVENTURES. I have been craving that for months now, I think maybe this was drawn out too long. Also, I want him to have an actual impact on the world outside of his little sphere, and have people other than himself actually know about it. Which is part of why I found the final issue to be a bit of a let down. While I do recognize how necessary the story was, I think I am just kind of tired of this sort of story that's just all about his inner struggle, I am just so done with it. I just want fun now, I want adventure, I want for him to find some happiness, maybe some romance, to not be all about angst. And him being a supporting character in Thors book means it won't be all about him and his inner turmoil, so I am actually pretty excited about that. It also means we will get more of him WITH Thor, which I always enjoy, even if they are not on the best of terms right now. there will be some angst, I am sure once he learns Laufey is alive and kicking again, there will be some angst involved there. But overall I think it will be a lot more fun, and I'm glad for that.

Anyway... look what's coming next weekish to Marvel Heroes:

They used Wiccan's rig though, which means he's absolutely tiny, which I am disappointed about. I plan on begging them to change that.

Spectacular Member

Loki can definitely have some adventures now, hopefully with Verity in tow. His new found confidence in his powers and in himself is great! But I also think it was necessary to draw his journey out for this entire run, as the emotional weight of it was really heavy, and Loki's spent so, so long trying to please everyone else. It would have felt forced and false if he'd suddenly just been like "I'm okay with me", I feel. This really felt like a journey for the character, and I couldn't have asked for a better ending, I don't think.