Page 159 of 303 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209259 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 4544
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    I don't believe Loki needs to have a power-down, per se. He's the God of Stories. I mean, if he truly desired, he could instantly snap his fingers and dispatch Odin, Laufey, Malekith and all their armies without a care in the ominverse... but that'd be anticlimatic and wouldn't be a great story, would it? Which is exactly why Loki chooses not to do it.

He likes a good story, one riddled with mystery and mischief. He's basically the story-writer/narrator, who has pretty much complete (or damn near complete) control of the story. And he seeks to enjoy himself, which is more or less what he's doing. Jane/Thordis can't do anything to harm him, he doesn't wish to harm her, so he's basically just humoring her until he decides to put her in her place or they come to an agreement.
    Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. I like that Loki's as powerful as he is. It makes him even more fascinating, considering he COULD just snap his fingers and end everything, but because of the nature of what he is, he chooses not to, because his domain, as a god, is stories, and he wants the story to unfold in an interesting way. It makes him both intimidating and playful at once.
    Last edited by cosmicjoke21; 01-12-2016 at 01:42 PM.

I still say he first of all was plenty powerful enough and did not need a powerup. But it also makes little to no sense to give him a powerup, then never use it. Just because he basically acknowledges that he was given too much power doesn't make it right.

I say that we still donīt know exactly how powerful he is now, it was a big power up, but it must have limits (beside the "make a good story" which is compatible with the rest) and a risk, because realitywrap and time-travel are dangerous, they must have secondary effect and a price, at the end of AoA it was the end of the world and that was a good excuse, there were no world to risk, but now is different. Given that Ewing didnīt gave clear rules for the future beside the "not evil" thing and that Aaron is going to use Loki for a while, heīs the one who have to establish a definition and delimitation to his powers in a normal situation, and this is quite possible because Aaron is using the concept of magic having a price.
    Last edited by Shura; 01-12-2016 at 06:19 PM.

That is true. Aaron seems very big on magic having a price, he's been covering it at some length in Doctor Strange, and has touched on it in Thor. It would not make much sense to have Loki be exempt from this, though I could buy that his 'price' is less than it would be for Doctor Strange doing the same thing, due to Loki being a god and Strange being mortal. If Aaron made it so he kept his power but the bigger acts have such a big price that it's not worth using them in most situations... I could accept that.

Fantastic Member

Well...I guess that's one way to do it. Though I must say, although the other Lokis were amusing, I was rather looking forward to have him be mostly sane. Now I'm not sure if he needs a psych or an exorcist. Not the way I would have preferred to curb him. Also, on the subject of people needing nerfs--I understand it's her story, and it was pretty cool, but :/ New Thor op?

Also, I admit I was rather confused at first when he said he had been lying, but I'm pretty sure he was being a smartass (which should have, perhaps, been the obvious conclusion).

Which Lady Loki was that?

It wasn't her, it was Mjolnir. While it frequently is her doing things, it's happened a few times now where she gets overwhelmed and just sets it loose and it ends things without her really having to do anything. It's Mjolnir that's OP, but I think that's supposed to be a thing. I found it interesting that when Jane was actually in control, she kept trying to kill him, completely lethal tactics, but Mjolnir just pinned him. But yeah, ended a bit too easy for my liking. I didn't mind the rest though, I still really like how Aaron does Loki's dialogue. Yeah, he was conflicted, and obviously parts of him are still fighting to go back to their old ways, but I don't think the end of Agent of Asgard was meant to imply that he was completely OK with himself and everything was fine and in control. (And if it was what was intended, that wasn't a terribly good move.) He made progress at the end of Agent of Asgard, big steps. But he'll probably always going to have to fight against some of his darker urges, especially since part of the point of how that ended was that he accepted the bad parts of himself rather than try and distance himself from them and continue pretending that he didn't really do all the bad things. And that's fine, that conflict helps make him interesting, as long as he can keep the bad side from winning completely. If it was a certainty that he was going to be completely OK going forward, there's be no story, or at least not a very good one. I know we all want him to be better, but he's spent thousands of years being a shithead, we can't expect him to get over all that in like a year or two.

And yeah, I think he was being a sarcastic smartass, and I don't think he wants to let on what he's really up to. We still have no idea what his actual intentions here are, or what he hoped to gain from this fight, but when he was talking to himself at the very end it at least made it clear that he's not got anything bad planned. But this little fight isn't exactly going to help him win Jane's trust.

And that appeared to be Lady Loki from JMS' run. Not really sure what other ones there are that wore that particular costume, aside from A-force, but really doubt it was meant to be her.
    Last edited by Raye; 01-13-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Amazing Member

Yeah it did end a little too fast but I have a feeling this was all some sort of test for Loki to see what this Thor was like and what she could do. I think that was what this little fight was about. I think Loki also knows it’s going to be near impossible for Thor to trust him with mere words, he knows he will have to do more than that.

Yes I think I like the conflict between past and present Lokis. I think it sets up a nice character arc as well. And yes I think he has accepted the good and the bad and that the point of AOA. I think now it’s about overcoming those dark parts of yourself and not letting yourself go down the same path you went down before.

But yeah I don’t think Loki has any bad intentions.

Overall loved the issue my favourite part had to be the snark between all the Lokis. I think that was brilliantly done.

Also there were some fan answered questions and one came up about Loki. One question basically asked if Jason Aaron was basically going to undo all the great work that Gillen and Elwing have done and the answer was quite positive.

I really liked how each Loki had a distinct voice, it kinda highlighted just how much change he's been through over the years, not just counting the face-turn. some got a little 'flanderized' like Lady Loki had her cruelty cranked up to 11, but still.

Fantastic Member

Okay, maybe I shouldn't read comics at 5:00 in the morning when I can't sleep because I have a cold. I totally interpreted it more as Loki having multiple personalities instead of an analogy for his inner conflict. I mean, I guess gods do metaphors literally, but still.

As far as Loki gaining her trust, Jane did get KO'ed after blowing up all the bombs (you can see her falling to earth in her human form). Not exactly the best place to be in that state and she has to get out of there somehow.

Astonishing Member

Loki arguing with himself was my favourite part. It just highlighted how much I miss this character.

I liked the issue, itīs was a bit weird and I felt the battle a bit short, but it was very funny, specially seen all the Lokis arguing each other, but also... itīs fine that he still has inner conflicts it makes his evolution more natural, but I felt that some of the copies were a bit independent (most like if they went a bit out of his control), what makes me think if what the Jotun Kid Loki said about him not doing what he really wants is something more than the typical "oh, you want to fight and do evil things", thinking about it, it could tied to the idea of magic having a price, maybe he could do something with a big price, something that other Lokis would do without blink, but heīs trying to avoid the temptation and being more cautious.

Also, itīs the first time we see him making copies that are not from his own 616 universe or life, so I guess it confirms the theory oh him having more knowledge about his other lifes in other universes (or previous Ragnarok cycles), I donīt know how much (it could be that he just made up some of them like Hulki of the fairy, who know...)

I think that if he rescues Jane and discovers her identity, they could make a deal to work together even if thereīs some reservations from her.

I dunno, I think maybe it was at least partly for show. The real Loki technically wasn't even in the fight between all his selves, he was shapeshifted into a snake the whole time. But he seemed pretty solidly in control of the one representing the real him, so stands to reason he was in control of the others as well. And the two illusions Jane had tried to kill helped with Lady Loki in a way that suggested they weren't working autonomously (and i mean, both of them were blind at that point anyway, they had to be puppeted from outside to do anything). Which is kinda bad since Lady Loki was the cruelest of the bunch, but still.

It felt to me like Loki was leaving at the end, and was not going to be there to see Jane falling, it may simply be the elves that rescue her. But you never know.

Anyway, I just got caught up on Angela.... this is extremely disappointing. It's so bad. the plot makes no sense, it's trying too hard to be cute and meta (and this is coming from someone who loved Agent of Asgard!) in a way that doesn't fit the rest of the tone, an breaks you out of the narrative. Like, Loki has gotten meta a couple times now in Thor, but it works. Not just because of the whole 'narrative awareness' thing he's gotten, but what he says, while being a nod to the books and/or fans in a meta way, also makes sense in context rather than breaking the sense that these characters are living in their own world separate from us. Angela's breaking the fourth wall in a way that would feel like it was too much in Deadpool's book, let alone a more serious character like Angela, and it feels like a lazy copout with the 'exposition time!' stuff. And it ruined Leah. Her voice just sounds ALL WRONG, it doesn't feel like her at all. and the 'how is she even HERE?' Thing is just handwaved away as 'eh, it's too complicated' which, no, that is not satisfactory, you don't do something that makes NO sense, and then not even attempt to make it work.

I was reading mainly because I liked Kieron Gillen's take despite not caring much about the character, and also was curious to see what was up with Leah, hoping for maybe reuniting her with Loki, but now I suddenly don't want Loki anywhere near this mess. Especially since Aaron is killing it with Loki, i just love the biting snark Aaron gives Loki, so, you know, we got lucky there. But they have Balder and Tyr about to fight her with a lot of talk about their siblings, so I think he will show soonish....

Sorry, not normally one to dump on a book, i generally try to be more positive, but this is awful.
    Last edited by Raye; 01-14-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Loki arguing with himself was my favourite part. It just highlighted how much I miss this character.
    I loved this as well. Seeing him arguing with himself, as if it's an inner struggle, but given physical manifestations. And to see Loki with a bigger plan at the end. Good to see his character is moving forward from Gillen and Ewing and not backward. Aaron is worthy of being a caretaker of Loki.

And to see Lady Loki in battle! Ahh, made me smile!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I dunno, I think maybe it was at least partly for show. The real Loki technically wasn't even in the fight between all his selves, he was shapeshifted into a snake the whole time. But he seemed pretty solidly in control of the one representing the real him, so stands to reason he was in control of the others as well. And the two illusions Jane had tried to kill helped with Lady Loki in a way that suggested they weren't working autonomously (and i mean, both of them were blind at that point anyway, they had to be puppeted from outside to do anything). Which is kinda bad since Lady Loki was the cruelest of the bunch, but still.

It felt to me like Loki was leaving at the end, and was not going to be there to see Jane falling, it may simply be the elves that rescue her. But you never know.
    mmm... I think youīre right, probably Iīm just over-thinking, his last page make sure that he doesnīt have any bad intention towards Jane, probably his intentions are not all good and noble but at least heīs not working to make the war worse, his true objetive is still unknown but I feel his inner conflict has something to do with that, maybe heīs not even very sure about whatīs his role in the war.
    Also, it was funny to see all the Lokis at the same time (even the burned and the beheaded Loki were still in the battle), but Iīm still curious about what was the inspiration behind the big Loki with the helm made of bone, also I wanted a zoom in the fairy.

I havenīt read "Queen of Hel" yet, itīs indeed strange to see you being hard with a book, Iīve read good reviews about this series,but I donīt want give an opinion yet,Iīll read it soon but knowing that the reason for Leah to be there is not explained (at least not yet) is kind of disappointing.
    I read Angela because itīs an asgardian series and Kieron Gillen was writting it, I really liked the first arc and Iīm intrigued to see how it continues, but honestly, I still donīt "feel" Angelaīs character, sheīs doesnīt sound very.... real? human? (ok, I know sheīs not real or human) sheīs very cool but it doesnīt feel natural (at least not always) probably I just need to read more to get used to her because right now sheīs just "ok", I prefer Sera much better, itīs funny because they makes me remember to Xena and Gabrielle, except backwards because I liked Xena and Gabrielle was a bit "meh"

you want a zoom on fairy Loki? well, that's one of the nice things about reading on Comixology, you can get some REALLY high rez screen caps!

(click through to the full one, then the little magnifying glass in the upper right corner, cus seriously, it's enormous)

and yeah, I do hope we get a more solid understanding of Loki's motivations. on the one hand, it's good that it's so hard to guess what he's up to, he SHOULD be unpredictable. On the other, i just want to know what's going on. But at least we can be fairly sure it's not bad, both based on the final page of Loki the comic and a couple of the replies to the letters in the back. so I am not worried, really... just impatient.

As for Angela, I actually find Sera to be really annoying, which is part of my problem with it. She comes off as more of a plot device and exposition dispenser than a character. But yeah, Angela is a bit bland, but Gillen was able to keep me interested with it's ties to Asgard and all, but that's just gone now for me. I am fine with meta, but as with anything you can do it well or poorly... this is meta done poorly. It was a bit surprising because I know some others have been enjoying it, but on like a technical level it's just poorly done imo.
    Last edited by Raye; 01-14-2016 at 08:38 PM.