Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member Gorblax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    322

    Default Wherever He Rode, People Spoke His Name in Whispers: Jonah Hex Appreciation Thread

    With the news of All-Star Western's cancellation, let's all dedicate this next round in honor of that bounty hunter Gray and Palmiotti have guided through some of the best old west stories of the 21st century, Jonah Hex. Here's to you, you crazy scarred bastard.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    24

    Default

    How is this thread so dead? Jonah Hex is great!

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Surely his two constant companions will be along shortly to contribute to the thread?

    But thanks to Gorblax for starting this thread...it’s made me look at Jonah H material available on comiXology, and made me realise there’s some really interesting stuff I’ve not got around to reading yet.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Surely his two constant companions will be along shortly to contribute to the thread?

    But thanks to Gorblax for starting this thread...it’s made me look at Jonah H material available on comiXology, and made me realise there’s some really interesting stuff I’ve not got around to reading yet.
    It’s really odd that I’m not seeing death or smelling gunsmoke by now.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkellyeGM View Post
    It’s really odd that I’m not seeing death or smelling gunsmoke by now.
    Lol. I suppose if the one strikes first, one never gets to smell the other?

    I think the Gray/Palmiotta/Bernet run is one of the outstanding series. At first I had uneasy feelings when it changed to “All Star Western”, it felt like tone changed a bit.

    But it all worked out really well, the ending was wonderfully touching (bizarre, I know when character concerned is Jonah H), whilst keeping the old stories intact. (I always tend to think of Jordi Bernet as main artist. Jeez he did well...but practically all the “guest artists” were very good or better as well.)

    I enjoyed it enough to get some of the old stories...in DC’s black and white Showcase format. I was impressed, the artwork was strong enough to really impress even in black and white, and the writing was fast paced, punchy and interesting.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member NeathBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Would love an omnibus of his 1970’s and 1980’s stuff, but I doubt there’d be a big enough call for DC to publish something like that... Same goes for Sgt Rock, I’d buy an omnibus of his stuff, but doubtful DC sees a big enough call for it.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,383

    Default

    Does anyone have a list of his series? There's some in Comixology but I don't know if they have everything.
    Also his first appearance and earliest origin story.

  8. #8
    Fantastic Member NeathBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Does anyone have a list of his series? There's some in Comixology but I don't know if they have everything.
    Also his first appearance and earliest origin story.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Hex

    All in here... I used to have a fair bit of the mid 70’s stuff but all I’ve got left is the Jonah Hex Spectacular.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,383

    Default

    Ah dang. Not available yet. Thanks anyway.

  10. #10

    Default

    Some of my favorite Jonah Hex covers.






  11. #11
    Fantastic Member Colt Cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Man, I love me some Jonah Hex! He has to be my all-time favorite DC Character.

  12. #12
    Fantastic Member Colt Cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Darn, still nothing huh?

  13. #13
    Mighty Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WGBS
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    I'm a Jonah Hex fan but Western's are a tough sell now for some reason. I have read the two black and white Showcase Presents trades, some old reprints and digests, and a good chunk of the new series. I think he works best when he has one and done stories. He shows up, there's a town full of scoundrels, he lays down some justice! Maybe his psychic space has been coopted by the Punisher or even Dexter? He's also a tough sell in terms of his background. He's a former Confederate Soldier, sold into slavery to the Apache (because that happened and they basically raised him decently), and then he grew up up to be a "good" bounty-hunter. All that is not so p.c anymore. He kind of reminds me of Starlord as well? Big Jonah Hex fan no matter how you slice it. Reading Hex and Sgt. Rock back in the day felt like I was reading grown up comics.

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member Colt Cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I'm a Jonah Hex fan but Western's are a tough sell now for some reason. I have read the two black and white Showcase Presents trades, some old reprints and digests, and a good chunk of the new series. I think he works best when he has one and done stories. He shows up, there's a town full of scoundrels, he lays down some justice! Maybe his psychic space has been coopted by the Punisher or even Dexter? He's also a tough sell in terms of his background. He's a former Confederate Soldier, sold into slavery to the Apache (because that happened and they basically raised him decently), and then he grew up up to be a "good" bounty-hunter. All that is not so p.c anymore. He kind of reminds me of Starlord as well? Big Jonah Hex fan no matter how you slice it. Reading Hex and Sgt. Rock back in the day felt like I was reading grown up comics.
    I don't know if I'd say the people who enslaved and mutilated Jonah "raised him decently." Lol
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

  15. #15
    Fantastic Member Kaled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    282

    Default

    I did not care for Westerns as a kid but something about Jonah Hex I liked. I think it was most of his appearances I read had to do when he tie travelled such as when he appeared in the Justice League for one of the JLA/JSA team-ups and later in the 2 part right before Justice League #200. I did not read his Western books until the 2 Vertigo mini-series came out and then I read the Palmiotta run before it was restarted under the Nu52 banner. In the 80's I bought ( and still have) the Hex series. I know it was not well received but I liked it. I wished DC would return to it even if it is just a mini-series. I felt the book had some much potential but was never really hit upon. I think Jonah Hex will return to comics someday. His book got a revival because Hollywood had a revival of Westerns. The Vertigo series came back because of how successful Unforgiven was. Westerns come and go in Hollywood depending on the mood of the audience. It does not matter if he is confederate solider sold into slavery to the Apache. History is history. You cannot change it and you cannot hide from it. Besides good stories about Hex and who gives a damn what era he is from or what his background is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •