Amazing Member

Default Question about Green Lantern event & Crisis events

I'm looking for something new to read, I've been recommended Sinestro Corps here before but I wanted to know if I should read Blackest Night or Brightest Day first? Is there a particular order to this events or is Sinestro Corps a stand alone?

My second question is about Infinite, Identity and Final Crisis. Is there a particular order and if so, is it necessary? Also, are they good reads? I hear Identity was unnecessarily dark and I think Infinite was not good storytelling. I heard these awhile back but I know they weren't shed under a good light.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

To get the full experience, it's best to start with CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS (as ancient as it is), then got through IDENTITY CRISIS, INFINITE CRISIS, FINAL CRISIS, BLACKEST NIGHT, and BRIGHTEST DAY, in that (chronological) order.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Amazing Member

Oh Crisis events leads into the GL events? I probably won't pick up Crisis on Infinite Earths because (and I know I'm going to get hate for this) I don't enjoy the older artwork. Crisis on Two Earths film was based on that no? So I got that covered I think, plot wise anyway. Are these stories good? I've been hearing poor reviews on the Crisis events.

OK goes like this

Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night are very linked to the main Green Lantern title and GLC. The other aren't. They're not even important if you're into GL.
    So, to answer your first question, you just have to read Green Lantern: Rebirth, No Fear, The Revenge of the Green Lanterns and Wanted: Hal Jordan before Sinestro Corps War.

The Order:
    Identity Crisis
    Infinite Crisis
    Sinestro Corps War.
    Final Crisis
    Blackest Night
    Brightest Day

I dont recommend much of this list. Identity Crisis is good. Infinite and FInal Crisis, you kinda have to know a lot about the DCU before reading those. Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night are, as i said before, very linked to GL, so you gotta read the TPBs i said. Brightest day wasn't very good.

here's the list of TPB if you wanna keep reading AFTER Sinestro Corps war:

Secret Origin
    Rage of the Red Lanterns.
    Agent Orange
    Blackest Night
    Brightest Day (which is GL #53–62, NOT THE Book called Brightest Day. Feel free to skip that one).
    War of the Green Lanterns
    War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath
    Sinestro
    Revenge of Black Hand
    The End.

The first Geoff Johns' GL omnibus included his run (even what i just mentioned) up until Sinestro Corps War.
    http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-.../dp/140125134X
    The Vol 2 is coming out on August and includes everything up until Blackest Night.

hope it helps
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Amazing Member

Thank you, this helped a bit. I should have been more detailed with my question. I'm looking for something that isn't too long. I'm not a big fan of GL or anything, more into Batman and JL but I don't know what other events to read. I've read Batman: Earth One, Batman: Hush, Batman: Noel, Detective Comics, Forever Evil, Injustice, 52's Batman and Batman/Superman and Trinity War. Of that list, the ones I enjoyed the most are Injustice and Forever Evil. I'll probably check out Identity Crisis then, Infinite and Final seems to require a lot to understand.

Is it necessary to read Rebirth, No Fear, etc before Sinestro Corps? I mean does it take too much away if I skip those and went for Sinestro Corps straight? I'm looking to get into GL since it's a big universe and I'm running out of stuff to read.

Okay so basically, you've picked two of my three favourite comic book epics (the third being Morrison's Batman). They intertwined a little bit, but I largely consider them separate entities, and read them as such. Identity/Infinite/Final Crises are definitely a trilogy, one setting up the next, but there's a few extra books in there as well.

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete18 View Post
    I probably won't pick up Crisis on Infinite Earths because (and I know I'm going to get hate for this) I don't enjoy the older artwork.
    I'm absolutely the same, and the first issue in particular was a real drag, but you know what? After that I actually got used to it and it's a really good story despite the dated artwork. If I was you, I'd at least give it a try, pick up a few issues and see if it grabs your attention enough to carry on. Not only that, but at the end of the day it's THE defining story for DC.

2. Identity Crisis
    This is like the #1 issue of the main "run". It's a very intimate story, not at all cosmic or sharing any of the Crisis traits of the others, but it informs the entire direction of the universe from here on out. It gets referenced quite a bit later on.

3. Countdown to Infinite Crisis
    This is the beginning of the Infinite Crisis chapter, which is lead up to with a series of mini-series that all eventually intersect in Infinite Crisis. You don't have to read them all (some are better than others), but it makes for a more fulfilling read.

4. The OMAC Project
    Leads on straight from the end of Countdown to Infinite Crisis and is probably most tied to Identity Crisis. Of all the mini-series, this and Countdown are definitely must-reads.

5. Superman: Sacrifice
    This isn't necessary, but it fills in a pretty big gap in the middle of the OMAC Project.

6. Villain's United
    This is Miniseries #2 and follows a team of villains. Not my personal favourite, but it does become quite important in Infinite Crisis

7. Superman: Lightning Strikes Twice
    Again another Superman tie-in. Not necessary, but it does fill in a few gaps.

8. Day of Vengeance
    Miniseries #3. This follows the supernatural/magic side of the DCU in the events leading up to the Crisis

9. Rann-Thanagar War
    Miniseries #4 follows the cosmic side of the DCU. Again not necessary, but interesting if that's the kind of thing you're interested in.

10. Justice League: Crisis of Conscience
    I'd say this is another necessary one. It follows on from OMAC Project, informed from Identity Crisis, and leads directly into Infinite Crisis. I can't imagine not reading this as part of the story.

11. Infinite Crisis
    If possible, you want to read all the specials as well. They bring conclusions to all the miniseries', tie them to the main event more solidly, and also fill in various gaps in the story. Or you could just read the core 7 issues by themselves. There's a few holes that might annoy you, but otherwise it's complete with a beginning, middle, and end.

12. 52
    DC's most universally praised weekly. It leads on right where Infinite Crisis left off, with the core trinity of heroes missing. It follows everyone else in their absence and sets up Final Crisis. 52 is the true "Countdown to Final Crisis", as the actual countdown was awful and contradictory to the main event.

13. Final Crisis
    The big end to the Crisis trilogy, and arguably Morrison's masterpiece. It can get a little confusing, but it's thoroughly worth it I promise. Definitely my favourite DC event of all time. It can be read on it's own (which is what I did), as it is a complete story from beginning to end. It is, however, the final chapter. Final Crisis also plays a pivotal moment in Morrison's Batman run. You didn't ask about that, but I figured it worth mentioning nonetheless.
    Last edited by PyroSikTh; 04-01-2015 at 08:41 AM.

As for Green Lantern, Sinestro Corps War is the turning point in one of my favourite runs of all time. It's a stand-alone story that can be enjoyed by itself, but it's built up from the very beginning of Rebirth, and sets up Blackest Night in it's closing pages.

Rebirth
    The beginning of the run, bringing Hal back into the picture, establishing what Parallax actually is, turns Guy back into a Green Lantern. If you're not familiar with pre-Rebirth Green Lantern, I'd actually suggest skipping this. It was the first Green Lantern book I read and it turned me off big time. Instead start with;

Secret Origin.
    This was actually written after Sinestro Corps War, but it acts as the best beginning. It establishes the new origin for Hal, gets you used to Sinestro as a Green Lantern, and introduces a couple of major players for Blackest Night.

No Fear
    This is all rather introductory, gives us a couple of short stories, establishes a couple of villains. Not really important for Sinestro Corps War at all, but there's an issue or two that helps lay the groundwork for Blackest Night.

Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    The second trade is probably the biggest set-up for Sinestro Corps War. It's not necessary, but it brings back other major players and introduces new ones who play a big part in the event.

Wanted: Hal Jordan
    This isn't overly necessary for Sinestro Corps War, but it does tie into the 52 weekly, showing exactly what Hal was getting up to.

Sinestro Corps War

Rage of the Red Lanterns and Agent Orange
    These two bridge the gap between Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night, round out some plot elements from the former and sets up the latter.

Blackest Night
    For this you'll want the main event and the Green Lantern tie-ins at a minimum. You may also want to read Final Crisis first as well.

Brightest Day
    The main Brightest Day mini doesn't really link to the Green Lantern franchise that much at all, but it does spin straight out of Blackest Night. There is, however, another Brightest Day book specifically for the Green Lantern part and it's strictly okay. I would only really touch it if you intend to go on.

After that you get;
    War of the Green Lanterns
    Sinestro
    Revenge of the Black Hand
    Rise of the Third Army
    Wrath of the First Lantern

But I won't bore you with those unless you actually want to get into the run proper.

Amazing Member

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and well written recommendation. Breaking down each books helps me a lot.

I tried reading Days of Future Past because I was really into the story after watching the movie but I couldn't tolerate the artwork. For now I'll likely skip Infinite Earths. I'm sold on Identity Crisis though, so will pick up the first issue and see if it sticks. I'll also pick up Secret Origin. Thanks for pointing out the new origin part, I think that's a perfect place to start GL and since it's on the path to Sinestro Corps anyway, it's perfect.