Default Why Do People Act Like WW Hasn't Changed?

I found this article on Christopher Priest's web site in which he gave his opinion on Diana. One part I disagree with is the claim that her iconic status prevents writers from doing anything unique with her. Except this could not be farther from the truth. The fear of something new has never been a problem for WW writers. Almost everybody who has handled her has given her a new personality, new powers, new setting new supporting cast. If anything it's the exact opposite problem; writers refuse to work with what was previously established. Sure there are fans who express displeasure but let's not pretend this is unique to Diana (see Green Lantern fans, X-Men fans, Flash fans).

Now whether or not these changes have been well received is something else entirely but the truth of the matter is that Diana is one of those characters where writers have no problem doing whatever the hell they please when they get assigned to write her.

Here's the link to the site: http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/ww.html

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It seems that some in the comics industry are the most ignorant when it comes to all of Diana's developments over the years. Heck, a good portion of writers still write the Cheetah like she's just some crazy lady in a cat-suit.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Priest wrote that in 2002; I think he'd probably feel a little differently now about the "freedom to make changes" issue with her now, although that wouldn't mean he'd like her more. I mean, Azz made a few massive changes, and Finch is running in that direction.