Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Dying And The Dead

Hickman's newest weird little Image title returned after 2 months today with its second offering. A slew of amazing characters were introduced, giving me a much better idea of what the series will really be like as things progress.
    spoilers:
    We met Doyle Beller, who is either a great dude, smuggling drugs to his sick friend, or an addict, conning the other old people out of their spare pills. Either way, his beat down on Nurse Rick was great.
    We met Everette Moss, a rich oil baron who resembles an aged Idris Elba with a goatee.
    Then there's Senator Phineas Fairfax, who can be easily persuaded to do favors at the slightest hint of blackmail. He didn't seem too pleased about having to take orders from The City, so I could see him betraying the crew down the line.
    And lastly, the best new character of the issue, Martin Shepard, who spent 7000+ days plotting a prison break, when he really could've been relaxing. If I was in his shoes, I think I might have a mental breakdown at that one. I'm not entirely sure he didn't just have one, actually.
    Also, the main mystery grows even larger. I can't wait to see what happened on the fabled day The City burned.
    end of spoilers
    You guys sticking with this series? I'm solidly hooked.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 04-01-2015 at 11:04 AM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I can safely say this issue was way better than the first issue. Cut out all the long winded monologuing, generic secret cabals, and a lot of that decompression. Then focus solely on introducing new characters and giving them actually time to develop and be characterized into pretty interesting individuals. This issue showed me a side of Hickman's writing I've never seen before. It told me he is capable of actually focusing on characters and making them feel real instead of going nuts with trying to make his work sound so deep and "intelligent" when it really wasn't. I want more of this Hickman and not any of that Hickman from the last issue or the one who is writing Decompressionvengers.

Here's my thoughts on it in further detail.

This was good, really good, love Hickman's creator-owned work...
    #MagnetoWasRight

I actually enjoyed the first issue a lot more and didn't care for #2 all that much. Although there was a lot of back-story on the new characters, I didn't find them all that interesting.....To each their own.

Amazing Member

Yup, this was a great issue with a lot of new faces that really have me interested in the story now. Issue #1 was okay, it had a lot of setup to do but it's nice to see we're heading into the actual story now. Looking forward to issue #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I actually enjoyed the first issue a lot more and didn't care for #2 all that much. Although there was a lot of back-story on the new characters, I didn't find them all that interesting.....To each their own.
    I agree with this. I didn't hate this issue, but I found issue one more entertaining and fun to read.

Great issue, I loved the new characters.
    We need better comics

All-New Member

Didn't LOVE the issue like I did #1, but found it useful and necessary to set up #3 and beyond.
    Have to admit though, the incident with the nurse and the last bit at the end were entertaining!

One more day and he would have been free...

Yeah I'll be adding this to my pull list.
    On a quest to read all X-Men related comics in chronological order
    Titles I'm currently reading:
    Uncanny X-Men - X-Men v2 - X-Force - Wolverine - Deadpool - X-Treme X-Men

Amazing Member

This issue really picked up in places where the first was definitely lacking. I absolutely love long monologues. They can really set an atmosphere and present feelings to the writer in a very powerful manner but I just didn't see it working in the first issue. It just seemed a little boring. The tone and pacing in this issue is exactly what I was expecting when I first picked up issue one. I hope this continues. Loved the old folk's home bit.

Either way I'll be following this one. Seems interesting enough.

Amazing Member

Did a quick search here and found that issue #7 appears to be the last issue?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-wolf-launches

Quote Originally Posted by GuyOne View Post
    Did a quick search here and found that issue #7 appears to be the last issue?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-wolf-launches
    Noticed that as well, Im fine with this being a limited series.

Its great, and a short and sweet story with a great ending (which I hope this will have) is very welcome.

Fantastic Member

I'm perfectly fine with it being a limited series and expected it actually. Bodenheim's projects with Hickman never last long (Red Mass, Secret) though they do take a long time to come out. Plus with the book enders (the first issue and last issue) being extra long issues we'll get a bit more story out of it.

Is this comic done?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Is this comic done?
    Nope. It's still going... it just has a horrendous release rate. I don't know what the hell Hickman and Bodenheim were thinking when releasing this book when they clearly barely had any issues ready to go. Two month wait between 1 and 2 and three month wait between 2 and 3. So much for momentum and building intrigue.