Astonishing Member

Default Sinestro Annual # 1 - Spoiler Talk

I didn't even know that Sinestro Annual was going to happen. Didn't remember seeing it solicited. This was a pleasant surprise.

It's one of the couple issues this week that are less like codas for finishing/wrapping storylines and more like a total preview of the new stuff coming in June.

This takes the form of a framing device story where Sinestro and a skeleton crew of interesting folks are investigating a possible betrayal. That's set-up that leads directly into the Sinestro June storyline. But what's interesting besides the fact that the framing device story is meaty and has ramifications down the line, is that this is effectively a Secret Files & Origins issue, or a "Tales of the Corps" issue. As Sinestro muses on some of his higher circle's origins we're kind of teased about which of them might be the one who betrayed him. So we learn about Dez Trevious and Rigen Kale. We learn about New 52 Bekka's strange supergodpowers and story. Cooler still, we finally learn a bit more comprehensive backstory about Arkillo - who we've gotten to know a bit but didn't have that full of a picture of. It's a totally cool story, too.

Best of all is the appropriately Gothic as Hell backstory of Lyssa Drak. It's like a story out of 1895, akin to your Poes and Stokers and Lovecrafts and the like.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Spectacular Member

Yeah I liked it too, as we've not had a lot of background on the Sinestros so far, and the different artists were a nice choice.

Mighty Member

I really liked this issue. It felt like we were overdue for some background on Arkillo and Lyssa.

I liked Lyssa and Dez's backgrounds especially, although the art was kinda weird for Dez's.

Still kind of unsure about Bekka hanging around the book but I like what Bunn's been doing with her so far.

If I'm honest, this annual saved the whole books for me. I was going to drop it post-Convergence, but now I'm just too intrigued about it's direction.

I dig this Annual a lot, too. The Lyssa story is the best, in my opinion, and has the best art. Really great work here!

Spectacular Member

I haven't followed the Sinestro title, but I was a big fan of his Corps when it was introduced. Are any of the older members other than Arkillo and Lyssa Drak getting any attention in the title?

I really liked this issue as well as the past ones. I do miss those "Tales of the Corps" stories so that setup was an added bonus.
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.