Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

As a Hal fan, I have a problem with Johns' lack of characterization with him.

Johns wrote three different versions of Hal pre-flashpoint (who seemed more like an action figure bouncing from one saga to the next), Justice League Origin (the class clown who seemed more like a version of Guy Gardner), and new 52 GL (where Hal became Sinestro's sidekick).

Look at Hal's characterization in outside media. Hal seemed more like Kyle in the feature film. Hal seems more like Guy in the new 52 animated Justice League films. Hal seemed like.....Tony Stark.....in an episode of Batman's Brave & the Bold. The only time Hal seemed like Hal (or the way I envisioned him) was in First Flight. Hal gets a new personality every time he is presented outside comics.

The only GL with a Batman fixation should be Guy Gardner. I don't understand why Hal has played the fool for Batman. That is Guy's niche.

All these extreme presentations came during Johns run.

The one character from Johns' run whose story arc had him start from one point, and had a convincing journey to his current location was Sinestro.

How the hell is the villain supposed to be more engaging than the hero? I suppose that is a Geoff Johns thing.

I understand folks are entitled to their opinion if they have a negative or apathetic view about John Stewart due to Geoff's writing, but I think they are looking at that entire run with rose-tinted glasses. A lot of characters seemed to lack depth during that run.

Folks talk about John not having a personality, but I want to ask them about Hal's.

Hopefully, reading the John Stewart stuff from Englehart's run & the Mosaic saga will remind GJ that their is more to the character than Xanshi.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The only GL with a Batman fixation should be Guy Gardner. I don't understand why Hal has played the fool for Batman. That is Guy's niche.
    I suspect--I don't know, I suspect--that is an attempt to draw more attention to Hal Jordan or get him more popular through Batman. Batman is clearly DC's most popular character by a pretty good margin. Giving Hal Jordan some dynamic with that character, even if a contentious one, could have been done as an attempt to give Hal Jordan some of Batman's shine. We all know how hard DC pushed for Hal Jordan to be popular. It wouldn't surprise me if this estimation is true. It's especially worth noting that Geoff Johns has presented Hal Jordan to be 'the guy who doesn't put up with Batman's crap,' and to also give him moments when he one-ups Batman. That sort of thing reminds me of pro-wrestling, where promoters may try to get a less popular wrestler more credibility and popularity by placing him in a feud with a big star.
    Last edited by Desh; 04-09-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I suspect--I don't know, I suspect--that is an attempt to draw more attention to Hal Jordan or get him more popular through Batman. Batman is clearly DC's most popular character by a pretty good margin. Giving Hal Jordan some dynamic with that character, even if a contentious one, could have been done as an attempt to give Hal Jordan some of Batman's shine.
    I agree with what you're saying. They're trying to give Hal all the mainstream attention so that he'll be ready for the big screen with the justice league.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I agree with what you're saying. They're trying to give Hal all the mainstream attention so that he'll be ready for the big screen with the justice league.
    I don't think so. I think come June, you will start seeing things shifting more toward John Stewart. I believe his inclusion in the Justice League comic is the beginning of that. Things are pointing toward him becoming a regular member of that team. I estimate that "Darkseid War" will be a send off to Hal Jordan and the beginning of John's tenure in the League. Hal Jordan is likely in the upcoming JLA book, which seems to be set in the past, as a means of appeasing his fans.

Astonishing Member

I don't think so. I think come June, you will start seeing things shifting more toward John Stewart. I believe his inclusion in the Justice League comic is the beginning of that. Things are pointing toward him becoming a regular member of that team. I estimate that "Darkseid War" will be a send off to Hal Jordan and the beginning of John's tenure in the League. Hal Jordan is likely in the upcoming JLA book, which seems to be set in the past, as a means of appeasing his fans.
    Delusional much?

Delusional much?
    How is his predictions considered delusional, though? We don't even know what kind of changes to expect after the conclusions of the Darkseid War. Johns already said that there's a new member going to be introduced (and probably more than one member later). Geoff Johns talking about his research on John Stewart on his personal account is a little surprising (even though it's understandable that most won't take him seriously).

There's already going to be two JL books coming out in June. I don't think it's considered "delusional" or "farfetched" if there will be different rosters in opposing books.

Delusional much?
    Scared much?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    How is his predictions considered delusional, though? We don't even know what kind of changes to expect after the conclusions of the Darkseid War. Johns already said that there's a new member going to be introduced (and probably more than one member later). Geoff Johns talking about his research on John Stewart on his personal account is a little surprising (even though it's understandable that most won't take him seriously).

There's already going to be two JL books coming out in June. I don't think it's considered "delusional" or "farfetched" if there will be different rosters in opposing books.
    It's already been confirmed the rosters will be different. Bryan Hitch said on Twitter that Geoff Johns will be using a different roster than the one he is using. And yeah, I don't see how it is at all delusional to surmise John Stewart will become a regular in Justice League when the writer of the book is posting about thoroughly researching the character on multiple social media accounts, and when we know new characters will be coming to the League soon. I'd say that one is pretty much in the bag. And yes, I do believe that will have portents for John Stewart's role and profile moving ahead.

It's already been confirmed the rosters will be different. Bryan Hitch said on Twitter that Geoff Johns will be using a different roster than the one he is using. And yeah, I don't see how it is at all delusional to surmise John Stewart will become a regular in Justice League when the writer of the book is posting about thoroughly researching the character on multiple social media accounts, and when we know new characters will be coming to the League soon. I'd say that one is pretty much in the bag. And yes, I do believe that will have portents for John Stewart's role and profile moving ahead.
    And Geoff Johns certainly wouldn't waste his time to post about John Stewart if he is just on a few panels and leave suddenly after an arc or get killed off to be replaced by Jessica Cruz as someone was predicting. Johns also said that it's going to be the same team numbering. I don't think it's delusional if there's two different Green Lanterns in opposing books. I mean, why not!?

Thanks for the info about Bryan Hitch's twitter statement. Is there a link to that?
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 04-10-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    And Geoff Johns certainly wouldn't waste his time to post about John Stewart if he is just on a few panels and leave suddenly after an arc or get killed off to be replaced by Jessica Cruz as someone was predicting. Johns also said that it's going to be the same team numbering. I don't think it's delusional if there's two different Green Lanterns in opposing books. I mean, why not!?

Thanks for the info about Bryan Hitch's twitter statement. Is there a link to that?
    I'd have to dig up the tweet. I'll let you know if I see it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    As a Hal fan, I have a problem with Johns' lack of characterization with him.

Johns wrote three different versions of Hal pre-flashpoint (who seemed more like an action figure bouncing from one saga to the next), Justice League Origin (the class clown who seemed more like a version of Guy Gardner), and new 52 GL (where Hal became Sinestro's sidekick).

Look at Hal's characterization in outside media. Hal seemed more like Kyle in the feature film. Hal seems more like Guy in the new 52 animated Justice League films. Hal seemed like.....Tony Stark.....in an episode of Batman's Brave & the Bold. The only time Hal seemed like Hal (or the way I envisioned him) was in First Flight. Hal gets a new personality every time he is presented outside comics.

All these extreme presentations came during Johns run.

The one character from Johns' run whose story arc had him start from one point, and had a convincing journey to his current location was Sinestro.

How the hell is the villain supposed to be more engaging than the hero? I suppose that is a Geoff Johns thing.

I understand folks are entitled to their opinion if they have a negative or apathetic view about John Stewart due to Geoff's writing, but I think they are looking at that entire run with rose-tinted glasses. A lot of characters seemed to lack depth during that run.

Folks talk about John not having a personality, but I want to ask them about Hal's.

Hopefully, reading the John Stewart stuff from Englehart's run & the Mosaic saga will remind GJ that their is more to the character than Xanshi.
    Dont know why u are surprised Villians and Anti-Heroes have been In Vogue for a while now.

Extraordinary Member

I suspect--I don't know, I suspect--that is an attempt to draw more attention to Hal Jordan or get him more popular through Batman. Batman is clearly DC's most popular character by a pretty good margin. Giving Hal Jordan some dynamic with that character, even if a contentious one, could have been done as an attempt to give Hal Jordan some of Batman's shine. We all know how hard DC pushed for Hal Jordan to be popular. It wouldn't surprise me if this estimation is true. It's especially worth noting that Geoff Johns has presented Hal Jordan to be 'the guy who doesn't put up with Batman's crap,' and to also give him moments when he one-ups Batman. That sort of thing reminds me of pro-wrestling, where promoters may try to get a less popular wrestler more credibility and popularity by placing him in a feud with a big star.
    I saw that, too. The thing that I see is that Batman pretty much maintains the same personality regardless of the reboot. Batman, with each interpretation may differ with degrees of intensity (which may create very comical, or seriously epic scenes), but he will always be fairly consistent.

Those two should be things differently, but changing Hal's personality so often could be at least one reason he has yet to catch on outside of his core fan base.

Hal rarely acts the same, even when handled by the same writer.

Extraordinary Member

As a Hal fan, are you happy with the inconsistent personality changes with every outside media venture?

Batman is pretty much the same with every animated film, while Hal is not. You could have easily used Guy Gardner in JL War & Throne of Atlantis, and some people would not have noticed.

This could be a reason why Hal has yet to catch fire with the clear support from DC.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Dont know why u are surprised Villians and Anti-Heroes have been In Vogue for a while now.
    I know where you are coming from, but you do prove my point that even in the comics the most dominant ring slinger is not Hal.

The most dominant ring slinger seems to be Sinestro, and that is the result of Johns' character building.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

He only had more character development on the show than anyone. If you didn't like his role, then that's your opinion, but to act like he didn't do anything is wrong. He is a major part of those shows.

This has already been soundly explained about 10,000 times, but I guess this will make it 10,001. Hal Jordan isn't comparable to Batman or Superman in the slightest. Hal Jordan is an unproven commodity for WB. Actually, he's worse than that, he was one that was attempted but did not work. When has Hal Jordan had numerous lucrative television shows for them, hit movies, or hugely successful merchandise lines? Never. Rather, they attempted all of that with him, and he flopped all across the board. WB is going to analyze things (or already has) and consider why that happened, especially since they are attempting the Green Lantern franchise on the big screen again. It just so happens that one of the primary points of confusion with that movie was the fact that the lead character was White, and many people were wondering why, because that is not what they were familiar with in regard to the Green Lantern.
    Ehh, ymmv I guess. None of the main Leaguers had much development outside of Shayera and J'onn. As a Wonder Woman fan, I wasn't thrilled with what we got for her there.

The entire Green Lantern franchise is an unproven commodity, not just Hal. Replacing him with John wouldn't make the higher ups feel better, because Reynolds as Hal wasn't the only problem with that movie. It had a dumb plot, less than stellar special effects, and the villains weren't thought out all that well. When has John had successful television shows, hit movies and merchandise lines across the board outside of an ensemble show he was in a decade ago? And Hal didn't flop all across the board: he starred in the most successful Green Lantern comic runs (the original 60s stories, and Johns' run), his animated series suffered the same fate as Young Justice in that poor toy sales were a factor and not quality or ratings, and he's been featured in several fairly successful DTVs.

His being white may have been a point of confusion, but I guarantee you that the people complaining about the race change on Twitter didn't know anything about Stewart beyond his race. If they knew about his military background or the Xanshi arc, they would also be knowledgeable about Hal Jordan. The fact that they think it was the same character with a race change shows they didn't know what they were talking about.

Extraordinary Member

Here are words from Steve Englehart about his GL run.

Hal does not need the ring for the title to have strong sales.

John, under proper writing, is good enough for prime time.

Green Lantern

188-200

When Joe Staton and I took this book over, Dick Giordano, DC's Editor-in-Chief, told me nothing ever affected its sales; good people, bad people, good stories, bad stories, GREEN LANTERN's numbers never varied.
    Six months later, Dick announced to the world that sales had doubled.

When Joe and I took over, Hal Jordan, the regular GL, had quit, and his alternate, John Stewart, had assumed the role - sort of like the famous CAPTAIN AMERICA I did with Sal Buscema. Once again, it was tacitly assumed that Hal would soon reclaim his mask, but since I never repeat myself, I naturally figured, no, let's keep John. In fact, let's add GLs from other worlds, and a third from Earth, Guy Gardner, and just expand these Guardians of the Universe into the universe...

By the time we reached #200, we were ready to rename the series THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS.

PS. By becoming a full-fledged leading man, John Stewart is now part of the animated series Justice League.
    http://www.steveenglehart.com/comics...20188-200.html