Super Moderator

Default Feminist Comic Creators Celebrate Non-Compliance, Champion Inclusivity

Kelly Sue DeConnick, Noelle Stevenson, Erika Moen, Kate Leth and Spike Trotman proudly give patriarchy the middle finger at Emerald City Comicon.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

Before I read this I thought of Kelly Sue DeConnick as a decent-but-not-great comic book writer; now I realize she deserves a place alongside Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    I know we're not going to have a good conversation so I'm like, 'we're going to have fun.' So I send him a tweet saying that what I actually meant to put in the panel was 'Kill all the men, matriarchy now!" And it escalated very quickly from there to him sending rape threats."
    1.) so fun is tormenting people that are offended by your stories? if guys tormented women who where offended by say the batgirl variant, they would be labeled sadistic violence supporting misogynist immediately.
    2.) was he wrong for sending threats of any kind, ABSOLUTELY, but you where equally as wrong, kill all the men, joking or not is just as big a threat as any rape threat he sent. mabye not as direct and personal threat, but a call of violence none the less.
    3.) when men ignore women's concerns its sexism and hatred of women's very gender NO MATTER WHAT, when you not only ignore but exacerbate a mans concerns... its proud and justified feminism?

this is the most sickening vile hypocrisy i have seen in ages.
    Maybe it's because im a girl but I don't see any hypocricy in this.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

We don't want what you've been enjoying all this years -- keep enjoying it! But let me have what I want and have the same room for what I want and be enough of an adult not to be threatened by that."
    we are not being threatened by you buying & enjoying comics
    we are not being threatened by companies making many series with you as the target audience and that cater directly to your taste.
    all this is 100% fine and good, it is your right as a paying customer.

we are being threatened by people like you forcefully, removing key aspects of comics that we enjoy, in ALL books, not just ones catering too you or general audiences, but ones directly aimed vastly more at male readers.

there is a direct conflict here, we want something specific in some of our comics, you don't want it, that's fine there is plenty of comics that apply to your preferences, the problem is that you have made it clear that is not good enough.
    you not only do not want it for yourselves, your attempting to expunge it so that no one can have it. now do you see the problem?
    This is silly nobody is taking your comics away and they definitely aren't changing comics to fit women or anyones views
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    Maybe it's because im a girl but I don't see any hypocricy in this.
    1.) she thinks its ok to say kill all the men, but thinks thats any different than him sending rape threats, HOW is that not hypocrisy?
    2.) she and feminist think its not ok for male readers to speak against or write off women's voices and opinions in regards to comics, but then she not only does the exact same thing too him, she insults and faintly threatens him joke or not. HOW is that not hypocrisy?

practice what you preach or you are no better than the person you are preaching against.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    This is silly nobody is taking your comics away and they definitely aren't changing comics to fit women or anyones views
    yes, that is why there is not a single comic from the big 2 left with unashamed unsubtle sex appeal for sex appeal's sake in them. Not one.
    yes, that is why they had a feminist lecture and extremely out of character moment for Titania in the female thor comic. (that now has countless people writing off and not reading the entire run, including the monumental god butcher/bomb arc)
    yes, that is why 2 major variant covers (variant's being the absolute most irrelevant thing in the comics medium pretty much) being censored or canceled over women's rage over them, when all they had to do was... not buy it.

1.) she thinks its ok to say kill all the men, but thinks thats any different than him sending rape threats, HOW is that not hypocrisy?
    2.) she and feminist think its not ok for male readers to speak against or write off women's voices and opinions in regards to comics, but then she not only does the exact same thing too him, she insults and faintly threatens him joke or not. HOW is that not hypocrisy?

practice what you preach or you are no better than the person you are preaching against.

yes, that is why there is not a single comic from the big 2 left with unashamed unsubtle sex appeal for sex appeal's sake in them. Not one.
    yes, that is why they had a feminist lecture and extremely out of character moment for Titania in the female thor comic. (that now has countless people writing off and not reading the entire run, including the monumental god butcher/bomb arc)
    yes, that is why 2 major variant covers (variant's being the absolute most irrelevant thing in the comics medium pretty much) being censored or canceled over women's rage over them, when all they had to do was... not buy it.
    1. She was responding to a guy that complain her writing was sexist because WW said get behind me sisters. She mentioned how she knew the type of guy this was. She was being sarcastic. It wasn't an attacking on men and isn't even close to sending rape threats
    2. It's one thing for men to give criticism or speak against something. It's another to nitpick and complain about a comic because of silly trivial stuff like a child/troll
    3. Have you seen the outfits half of the female characters wear. Just because they changed a few doesn't mean anything. Emma frost, starfire, power girl and several others are still there to be jerked off too.
    4. I'd didn't her that far in the comic because I simply skipped the book when that part came up. The feminist lecture I thought was hilarious and needed(although it was kinda off). The part where Titania quit I stopped reading the book because I didn't agree with her giving up. She should have fought her and shown respect after. I just put the book down and read the next one when it came out. Not that big of a deal.
    5.thats marvel and dc problem. It wasn't censorship. They could have kept it but they wanted to listen to a fanbase because they want money. That's a more people have a voice and are using it problem not a women rage ruining everything problem.

I'm going to step in early here and just give a gentle reminder to everyone posting on this thread that CBR now has a no tolerance policy for harassment or abusive exchanges. I don't want to shut down an important topic of conversation but please remember that conversation needs to remain thoughtful and calm, both between other posters and towards the creators discussed in the article.

Let's have a well thought out discussion and not let this topic spiral out of control like these things tend to do. I'd hate to have to hand out any bans. I'm not saying anything warrants that at this point, just want to be proactive because I know this is a sensitive subject.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

I know we're not going to have a good conversation so I'm like, 'we're going to have fun.' So I send him a tweet saying that what I actually meant to put in the panel was 'Kill all the men, matriarchy now!" And it escalated very quickly from there to him sending rape threats."
    1.) so fun is tormenting people that are offended by your stories? if guys tormented women who where offended by say the batgirl variant, they would be labeled sadistic violence supporting misogynist immediately.
    2.) was he wrong for sending threats of any kind, ABSOLUTELY, but you where equally as wrong, kill all the men, joking or not is just as big a threat as any rape threat he sent. mabye not as direct and personal threat, but a call of violence none the less.
    3.) when men ignore women's concerns its sexism and hatred of women's very gender NO MATTER WHAT, when you not only ignore but exacerbate a mans concerns... its proud and justified feminism?

this is the most sickening vile hypocrisy i have seen in ages.
    You don't have to read their books if you don't want to. Move along.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Why does any conversation about female empowerement automatically have to turn into, man hating blah, blah, blah? Seriously. I liked Deconick's replies, I think I'm going to try her books.

Also, I love Brian Bendis' kissy books . . . I don't understand how we can't have both . . . action and feelings. Seriously, I wish people would stop trying to straight jacket comics into uber dark categories or silly books. I like a little of all of that.

Because you're ignoring the power dynamic, which clearly shows, that regardless of what she says . . . 90% of the comic industry is white male. Its also funny you fixate on that one bit, when there's a whole other article there not insulting men . . . really its all about perspective.
    Last edited by Krypto_16; 04-02-2015 at 03:29 PM.

BANNED

Meh. I don't think you champion "inclusivity" by dogging other fans. This just tells me what books not to buy.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I feel that their are people on both sides of this argument that are being disingenuous. People are saying that no one is trying to take your comics away, but every time that type of comic comes out this message board is full of complaints. When a character is changed to appeal to a different demo their is also complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    I'm going to step in early here and just give a gentle reminder to everyone posting on this thread that CBR now has a no tolerance policy for harassment
    When two new mods were hired, I amost thought "No one on the Image board starts trouble". Then I remembered what happens whenever Kelly Sue Deconnick comes up.

The things she dislikes in comics are things I mostly agree with her on. But I don;t go on long winded rants about how dangerous the comics are or whatever, I just don't read them. As a fairly new comic reader, I can't deny that the TNA approach of some older series is very off putting. But I don't knock it, I just don't buy it.
    That said, I do love sexuality in my comics. I'm just quick to drop series that do a terrible job with their female characters. Breaking Bad also suffered the same problem. Genius show, but they didn't know how to write any female characters besides "nagging bitch". A better writer could've made Skylar so sympathetic and such a tragic figure. Instead, I just hated her guts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    1.) But I don't knock it, I just don't buy it.
    2.) I'm just quick to drop series that do a terrible job with their female characters.
    3.) Breaking Bad also suffered the same problem. Genius show, but they didn't know how to write any female characters besides "nagging bitch". A better writer could've made Skylar so sympathetic and such a tragic figure. Instead, I just hated her guts.
    1.) i genuinely thank you for such.
    2.) understandable, i and many like minded people also want kick ass well written and full of depth female characters absolutely, we only ask they look attractive at the same time. (some of the time)
    3.) i recognize that feeling well. when i was watching lost, i liked kate pretty well and liked her back story, but alot of people were pissed at her and where just writing her off as a cruel woman, toying with and sadistically manipulating the leads.

Super Moderator

Hi all,

We're shutting this thread down. While healthy discussion and debate is always encouraged, combativeness and hostility is not. We're leaving some of the posts up here because we appreciated how members of the Community responded, but the user "evangelionofasgard" has been banned for his behavior in this thread, which does not reflect the type of community we wish to promote.

Thanks,

Albert Ching
    Managing Editor, Comic Book Resources