Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Default Superman/Wonder Woman #9 preview

There's a preview up for SM/WW #9.

Looks like Soule is about to A) Introduce a new Amazon magical item, and B) Let Hessia do something awesome!

Check it out!

http://mancave.cbslocal.com/
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This does look amazing, I must say. Hessia is such a breath of fresh air when it comes to Wonder Woman's supporting cast. This new belt she's putting on looks similar to the belt Donna Troy wore when she was Wonder Girl. Hmm......
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Boring amazon is boring.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Boring amazon is boring.
    You keep saying this word but I don't think you know what it means. Seriously, how familiar with the Amazons are you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Boring amazon is boring.
    at least the writing could be more natural, seems a doctor talking about technical things.

Superior Superman? lol

Orion and Spider-man to superman : you know nothing, innocent! *could not do the joke*

Gosh how nice to see an Amazon could be universally tolerant, wise, etc. I like Hessia. Having her for me at least is some evidence that not all the Amazons are intolerant, arrogant, man hating, baby slavers etc. I must admit, I have very little empathy for the new 52 Amazons. Hippolyta is the only one I remotely care a bit for and only because she means something to Diana, and I liked her as a character before. The Amazons are really not very likable because we've been shown so little about them other than more negative aspects. Diana grew up under these women...so I appreciate Soule showing some of the more positive traits in Hessia.

Yeah, Hessia is pretty awesome. The only Amazon outside of Wonder Woman with any semblance of individual characterization in the New 52 thus far. How she's boring is beyond me.

BANNED

exoristos was pretty cool and had a personality. Also Dessa and Aleka have their qualities, both are good characters

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This does look amazing, I must say. Hessia is such a breath of fresh air when it comes to Wonder Woman's supporting cast. This new belt she's putting on looks similar to the belt Donna Troy wore when she was Wonder Girl. Hmm......
    Good call. Its not identical or anything but it does ring a bell. At this point wouldn't be surprised if Hessia dies at some point and this leads into Diana finding her daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, Hessia is pretty awesome. The only Amazon outside of Wonder Woman with any semblance of individual characterization in the New 52 thus far. How she's boring is beyond me.
    I know, right? They were only shown to be mostly self involved and not really have any more dimensions to them than a society who isolates and enjoy fighting etc. Hippolyta barely got exploration and then they were shoved off to make way for a God family. I get that is what he needed for his story but Azz has not made them in to characters people I overly care for. He's made the Gods that though by giving them page time. Now they back, I still don't see that much to recommend them still. I don't think Diana lecturing them as Queen is suddenly going to make me think oh they redeemed. It's a pity Azz is going to finish soon and for me I still wonder how the hell Diana became the person she is by being around those women. Least Hessia for me..helps paint a different picture and think...okay...sure... Diana is a product of that society and I get how she could stand up for them and be proud of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    exoristos was pretty cool and had a personality. Also Dessa and Aleka have their qualities, both are good characters
    Yep. I kinda miss Exoristos. Kinda wish she'd come back some how. Aleka and Dessa are definitely growing on me as well, though the jury's still out regarding Aleka's loyalties.

Hessia is a great character as well. It's nice to see the Amazons starting to become more interesting across the board.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Yep. I kinda miss Exoristos. Kinda wish she'd come back some how. Aleka and Dessa are definitely growing on me as well, though the jury's still out regarding Aleka's loyalties.

Hessia is a great character as well. It's nice to see the Amazons starting to become more interesting across the board.
    Dessa, Aleka, exoristos are all 3 dimensional characters, with flaws, maybe too many. but have their personalities defined that makes them stand out not as amazons but as complexes characters. Now Hessia just didn't catched anything special, is just there.

Dessa, Aleka, exoristos are all 3 dimensional characters, with flaws, maybe too many. but have their personalities defined that makes them stand out not as amazons but as complexes characters. Now Hessia just didn't catched anything special, is just there.
    "Is just there?"

Let's see: She's a rogue Amazon who left Paradise Island and has no desire to return to it for any reason. Why? Don't know yet. She's the "best healer the Amazons have ever produced" and has a variation on the purple healing ray. Interesting. Wonder where she got it. She doesn't hate men and even had dating advice for Diana. Interesting. Wonder what her history with men is. She has magical devices that increase her power and this latest one resembles a pre-existing magical item. Also interesting. Wonder what it does, how she got it, and if it will have any long-term importance.

Nope! Doesn't sound like someone who is uninteresting or "just there" to me.

And for the record? Dessa's interesting, but she's been in two issues. She doesn't yet qualify as "complex" because we don't know enough about her. Same story with Aleka. For three years, all we knew about her was she was a bully who tortured Diana. Now? All we know is that she MAY be coming around to Diana's new world view. That's it. Hardly "complex."

They're interesting characters and I want to know more about them. But they are NOT more complex or interesting than Hessia. Azz hasn't done nearly as much with them as Soule has already done with Hessia.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 06-09-2014 at 07:32 PM.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Soule just made Hessia said that she was exiled from amazons, has the heal power, being the woman that give Diana the relationship advice, doesn't even seem to have any flaw... quantity is not quality. Aleka is a good antagonist, is more a stereotypical Amazon. stands for Amazon tradition in a extreme way and really likes Diana despite rivalry.
    Could be a interesting character if worked in a better way. Also getting out of a woman island just to get out of it and date men? heteronornative is not cool.

Soule just made Hessia said that she was exiled from amazons, has the heal power, being the woman that give Diana the relationship advice, doesn't even seem to have any flaw... quantity is not quality. Aleka is a good antagonist, is more a stereotypical Amazon. stands for Amazon tradition in a extreme way and really likes Diana despite rivalry.
    Could be a interesting character if worked in a better way. Also getting out of a woman island just to get out of it and date men? heteronornative is not cool.
    Hessia is interesting because she's the only other non-man-hating Amazon we've met to date. How did she get like that? Why is she so unlike the other Amazons? These are important and meaningful questions that make her interesting.

Aleka, so far, likes to beat up Diana. That's about all we know about her. She's a thug. Thugs aren't interesting or complex. Aleka may BECOME interesting eventually, but only because she's showing signs of changing.

And there is NOTHING to prove that Hessia left Paradise Island so she could date men. We still don't know WHY she left. We don't even know for certain that she DOES date men. Maybe she's a lesbian or bi. All we know is that she doesn't hate men and that she's been around them long enough to understand them better than Diana does. That hardly means that she left Paradise Island just so she could date men.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--