Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys! I've ordered Phantom Stranger vol 1 from Cheap-comics.com for €7 to see what it's like. Probably gonna get The Outsiders soon too
    The only showcase I own is the first one of the justice league, it was fun but the black and white and lack of depth really started to annoy me further in the book. It's probably the one and only showcase I will ever buy, guess I'm to much of a modern reader haha.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    The only showcase I own is the first one of the justice league, it was fun but the black and white and lack of depth really started to annoy me further in the book. It's probably the one and only showcase I will ever buy, guess I'm to much of a modern reader haha.
    I'm not a fan of superhero silver age comics either usually but I'm now at #6 of Phantom Stranger (which is more horror/mystery than superhero) and I quite like it. The horror comics from that time hold up pretty good. I may get some other horror comics like House of Mystery too.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I wanna thank you guys again for the Showcase Presents advice. Now I was wondering if you guys could give me some Essential recommendations. I think I'd highly prefer the most non-superhero stories like horror, magic, western etc.

Is Ghost Rider good? Or Black Panther? Or some of the horror titles (which ones?)? I'm also eyeing Dr Strange from the start of Englehart's run (vol 3), is that material very dated?
    Thanks a lot in advance
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I wanna thank you guys again for the Showcase Presents advice. Now I was wondering if you guys could give me some Essential recommendations. I think I'd highly prefer the most non-superhero stories like horror, magic, western etc.

Is Ghost Rider good? Or Black Panther? Or some of the horror titles (which ones?)? I'm also eyeing Dr Strange from the start of Englehart's run (vol 3), is that material very dated?
    Thanks a lot in advance
    I've started to read Essential Power Man vol 2 but haven't finished it yet, currently I'm not in bronze age mood. But what I've read was fun and entertaining.
    Not Essential but have you tried the Savage Sword of Conan books?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I've started to read Essential Power Man vol 2 but haven't finished it yet, currently I'm not in bronze age mood. But what I've read was fun and entertaining.
    Not Essential but have you tried the Savage Sword of Conan books?
    No, I haven't. Are they good? I've been trying to track down Showcase Presents Warlord but I might get this instead if it's good Sword&Sorcery.

Oh and I'm also very interested in Essential Punisher (especially vol 4 because I saw that Abnett wrote some issues with art by Doug Braithwaite and those are 2 of my favorite creators), are those good or 90s crap?

No, I haven't. Are they good? I've been trying to track down Showcase Presents Warlord but I might get this instead if it's good Sword&Sorcery.
    Well: Roy Thomas, Barry Windsor Smith, Buscema, Starlin, Zuniga, a buncha other quality artists, the stories are adaptations of Howard stories and the artwork was originally created to be published in b&w. So yeah, it's good (to be honest, haven't finished that one either, but not because I didn't enjoy it.)
    Haven't read it yet but in an interview Grant Morrison mentions Killraven as one of his early inspirations. You might wanna take a look at that essential Killraven.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Well: Roy Thomas, Barry Windsor Smith, Buscema, Starlin, Zuniga, a buncha other quality artists, the stories are adaptations of Howard stories and the artwork was originally created to be published in b&w. So yeah, it's good (to be honest, haven't finished that one either, but not because I didn't enjoy it.)
    Haven't read it yet but in an interview Grant Morrison mentions Killraven as one of his early inspirations. You might wanna take a look at that essential Killraven.
    They were meant in B&W!? Then it's definitely a must-check-out for me since my biggest complaint with the Essentials/Showcase Presents is that you can definitely see the art was meant to be colored.