Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Oh and i almost forgot.

The all new avengers comic coming out after secret wars well be a mostly people of color superhero team too and i think thier is another one coming up with dust and white tiger.

The current x-men comic is mostly a people of color superhero team too and the team is majority women.

Here is the current x-men comic book by the way.

X-Men (comic book)
    Volume 4 (2013 series)

Issues
    #1-4
    Characters
    Jubilee, Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, Rachel Grey, Rogue, Storm

Issues
    #5-6
    Characters
    "Battle of the Atom" Crossover

Issues
    #7-12
    Characters
    Jubilee, Karima Shapandar, M, Psylocke, Rachel Grey, Storm

Issues
    #13-17
    Characters
    Jubilee, M, Psylocke, Rachel Grey, Storm

Issues
    #18-22
    Characters
    Jubilee, M, Psylocke, Rachel Grey, Storm, Cecilia Reyes, Agent Brand

Issues
    #23-26
    Characters
    Beast, Jubilee, M, Psylocke, Rachel Grey, Storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%28comic_book%29

He'll join the NBA and be better than James Harden.

or not.

I don't mind that he is black but I hope he has a major role to play in the future. I don't want to see him as 'Kid Flash' maybe something like a different name would be cooler and less stupid.

Extraordinary Member

The mighty avengers team by the way has become larger and there are more people of color original superheros on the team like Kaluu and non -superheros people of color now on the team like Soraya Khorasani.
    Ruby a black non-superhero was with the team earlier and is still there.

Mighty Avengers (Cage) (Earth-616)
    Field Team
    Blue Marvel, Captain America, Kaluu, Luke Cage, Power Man, She-Hulk, Spectrum, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), White Tiger

Support Team
    Dave Griffith, Jessica Jones, Ruby, Soraya Khorasani

http://marvel.wikia.com/Mighty_Aveng...28Earth-616%29
    Last edited by mace11; 04-07-2015 at 07:56 AM.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    That's not average numbers, that's the 250 anniversary which had a new writer and the return of Al Simmons. It will be back to the 12k in no time. Add the fact that people are trying to use an Image character as a possibility that an original minority can sale is the very definition of sad.

People can pretend that original minority characters can sell all they want, but the market and anyone that does a hint of research within comic book sales would know that's not the case. If it was, DC and Marvel would be doing it already.
    I find nothing sad about a minority character that has been around since the early 90s being able to maintain a title off and on over a long period of time. I mentioned Spawn because he is a long time original character that is featured in his own book.That may not put up big numbers, but has a following strong and loyal enough to keep it alive. What really is sad is your narrow-minded view that a minority character that is not a part of the Big2 having a strong enough following and support somehow is not a success.Perhaps D.C. and Marvel do not know how to do it yet.
    I am not pretending anything i am pointing out a minority character that was able to sustain a book for years.Maybe Marvel and D.c. have not figured out a way to do it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Artemis on the show had alot of focus too and she is not white.
    Yes, which is why I said MOST and not ALL.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I find nothing sad about a minority character that has been around since the early 90s being able to maintain a title off and on over a long period of time. I mentioned Spawn because he is a long time original character that is featured in his own book.That may not put up big numbers, but has a following strong and loyal enough to keep it alive. What really is sad is your narrow-minded view that a minority character that is not a part of the Big2 having a strong enough following and support somehow is not a success.Perhaps D.C. and Marvel do not know how to do it yet.
    I am not pretending anything i am pointing out a minority character that was able to sustain a book for years.Maybe Marvel and D.c. have not figured out a way to do it yet.
    On the one hand, I would say, OK, we can give you Spawn, but to prove that it can be done with any sort of regularity, you'd have to name 3-4 more... Spawn was created at a point when Todd McFarlane could do no wrong - that's a hard recipe to re-create.

On the other hand, frankly, while I don't read Spawn, I've never gotten the impression that the fact that he is black has ever been really a factor in any of his stories. He's so disfigured that his original skin-color doesn't even factor in. Just hard to compare him to a Black Lightning, for example.

As for the guy who keeps throwing out Mighty Avengers - that books sells terribly and is barely hanging on, despite being very entertaining. Some blame gets put on the artist being unpopular, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Spawn. Unless he has changed race.
    Does the race of a dead man matter?
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

I figure that nothing will be done with this character and DC will eventually forget about him.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    You know, as a Barry Allen fan who sympathizes with the plight of Wally West fans and wants to support their cause, I find that my desire to contribute my meager support really dampens when the Wally fans just HAVE to take a swipe at Barry and his fans with these posts. You had me with you all the way until the end, and then you just *had* to take that swipe.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Honestly, though, Buried, I didn't take that as a swipe at Barry and his fans, at all, but at the positioning DC Editorial took; Wally was thrown into the garbage in order fo Barry to shine alone, yes. Thats not your doing, though, nor do you believe in the "there can be only one" BS DC is pulling. So, you know, at least the way I see it, it's not a "DC should kill Barry" as much as a "DC should let other characters other than Barry have their relevance. Of course, it falls under the poster, not me, to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I don't think those people are racist, but I would suggest that their priorities are misplaced.
    One can not be racist at all and say or do racist things; in this particular case, that can fall both on the creators and the people who object the current take. Racism is entrenched in social patterns; hell, I have said racist things in the past. It's hard work to police yourself regarding what you say or do.

That said, "racist" or "check your privilege" have been all too common here as of late. Points should be judged on their merit before they're replied to.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Honestly, though, Buried, I didn't take that as a swipe at Barry and his fans, at all, but at the positioning DC Editorial took; Wally was thrown into the garbage in order fo Barry to shine alone, yes. Thats not your doing, though, nor do you believe in the "there can be only one" BS DC is pulling. So, you know, at least the way I see it, it's not a "DC should kill Barry" as much as a "DC should let other characters other than Barry have their relevance. Of course, it falls under the poster, not me, to clarify.
    BohemiaDrinker you are right that my complaint toward DC is that they choose not to or fail to let the other speedsters be relevant, because I would think that the people at DC would be smart and talented enough to do that, but I keep being let down. It was not a swipe toward Barry, his fans, or asking for his death (mainly because after all of the 'this character is dead...no wait they're alive again never mind' has made me not take any death of a comicbook character in any media form seriously since I know there is an extremely high guaranty that it will be undone soon so asking for a character to die is a waste of time).

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

One can not be racist at all and say or do racist things; in this particular case, that can fall both on the creators and the people who object the current take. Racism is entrenched in social patterns; hell, I have said racist things in the past. It's hard work to police yourself regarding what you say or do.

That said, "racist" or "check your privilege" have been all too common here as of late. Points should be judged on their merit before they're replied to.
    Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    BohemiaDrinker you are right that my complaint toward DC is that they choose not to or fail to let the other speedsters be relevant, because I would think that the people at DC would be smart and talented enough to do that, but I keep being let down. It was not a swipe toward Barry, his fans, or asking for his death (mainly because after all of the 'this character is dead...no wait they're alive again never mind' has made me not take any death of a comicbook character in any media form seriously since I know there is an extremely high guaranty that it will be undone soon so asking for a character to die is a waste of time).
    Yes, you are both right, and I regret my outburst. I was lashing out blindly in a moment of weakness.

Let me tell you: being a Barry Allen fan during the past six years has been a sort of mixed blessing. On the one hand, we got Barry back after a quarter century of his being gone...after most of us had long given up hope of ever seeing Barry as the Flash again in a non-flashback or time-travel story. Getting him back in 2009 after numerous red herrings between 1993 and 2007 seemed almost too good to be true...but there was Barry back in the flesh, and as the Flash...starring in his own book again, and in the Justice League.

But it came at a high price to the fans of Wally West. It's not something most Barry fans demanded, or would have approved if it were our shot to call. Even so, at least THIS Barry fan feels tremendous sense of guilt every time I pick up a new comic with Barry. It's like I can't really enjoy a new Barry Allen FLASH comic without being reminded, either by external or internal sources, of the price paid to get him back.

I understand you frustrations with not having Wally around (we Barry fans knew that experience for a quarter century, so don't think for a minute that we don't get it), but I don't know if you understand ours.

Anyway, this is more unhealthful and probably unhelpful ranting.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I don't think those people are racist, but I would suggest that their priorities are misplaced.
    In the grand scheme of things...or even just on this one planet...all of our nerdish priorities are skewed.

On the original question, I do hope that the character is shown to have been using a faked name in the same way as 'Bart' of the Smallville TV program did or for that matter 'Bar Tor' (and my apologies for bringing that name back in type.) They can still have their bi-racial boy speedster. Still have the hoopla (*coughs or whatever you want to call it) of having the kid brought to media attention via a name; but doing this would mollify at least a portion of the Wally fans. After all, it's the name of the kid that twists my guts and not the actual boy. The kid can go become a famous superhero for all I care....just not with that name.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    In the grand scheme of things...or even just on this one planet...all of our nerdish priorities are skewed.
    And yet, by putting inclusiveness ahead of nostalgia, we can all do our little part.

On the one hand, I would say, OK, we can give you Spawn, but to prove that it can be done with any sort of regularity, you'd have to name 3-4 more... Spawn was created at a point when Todd McFarlane could do no wrong - that's a hard recipe to re-create.

On the other hand, frankly, while I don't read Spawn, I've never gotten the impression that the fact that he is black has ever been really a factor in any of his stories. He's so disfigured that his original skin-color doesn't even factor in. Just hard to compare him to a Black Lightning, for example.

As for the guy who keeps throwing out Mighty Avengers - that books sells terribly and is barely hanging on, despite being very entertaining. Some blame gets put on the artist being unpopular, but still...
    I'm not sure that even a original white male character could be introduced and sell well over a extended period of time at this time period. Although i'm sure it has been done recently. The thing is that Skin color is only visible on the surface. His disfigurement does not make him any less black. I'm not sure if him being black has been a factor in his stories, i have not read them all. I understand that the media platform we are in is visual, but we also have to understand these 2 d characters also have more qualities to them. Perhaps Spawn has had a long running success and popularity because skin color is not much of a factor to his audience. Sometimes it comes down to creating a character with a intriguing story that is a well rounded character.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Does the race of a dead man matter?
    It does in this subject matter. Since race is a factor in the discussion.