Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Since the heroes who are still in school don't seem to be popular, I do prefer New 52 Wally belong to the majority group of heroes who are finished with school same as Clark Kent. Personally, I hate school and I have very little interest in heroes who are still in school.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    It's easy now; they're doing time travel left and right. They won't do it because they don't want to, not because is hard. No point in avoiding that fact.
    Well Most of them are the same age already, all they have to do is the same thing they did with 5YL Wally, give the 12 year old Wally superspeed have him travel through time training and aging then he can come back in his mid 20s.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    DC did not make Wally West black. They made a black kid Wally West. There's a difference.

The black kid was going to be in the story no matter what. Naming him Wally West was an afterthought.

The point being, there most likely wasn't going to be a "regular" Wally West turning up any time soon. So I don't think anybody is any worse off now than they were before.
    I agree with everything but the last. We (the Wally West fans of 2009 and prior) are worse off than before for their making a stereotypical black kid and slapping the title 'Wally West' on him because somebody high up wanted there to be a black Wally or no Wally and thus TV black Wally (who as yet doesn't actually exist on the show's first season and who knows when/if he'll show in the second one?) meant this (for some reason even though TV and comic worlds are supposed to be different puppies):

no actual Wally in either media.

I'm definitely worse off because this entire mess has made me lose a ton of interest in comic-book heroes in any media. Why bother loving these characters when their owners are going to pretzel them into some unrecognizable shape later on anyway? I can't enjoy the TV show anymore after that interview with the producer about Wally West always being black from now on. I can't enjoy the Flash books even if I know a particular issue won't feather black Wally West. I can't enjoy anything with 'DC' stamped on it anymore even as my favorite DC characters still catch my eye simply because I grew up loving these characters.

Worst of all, I actually viewed the Convergence: Speed Force #1 preview just minutes ago and could not drum up any feelings of excitement because (as much as I LOVE Wally) I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Seriously. I read the whole thing and all I could do was critique the art because there's this dull feeling inside that just knows that DC is going to use this to stick it to me and others with similar feelings like mine about Wally and where DC is/has headed.

I've no idea where DC is headed unless maybe it's off a cliff and lately I find myself increasingly not much caring whether they go boom or bust.

All because some idiot thought it would be a grand idea to bring diversity to The Flash by switching two established biracial Asian kids for one Name.Only African biracial kid. We could have had Irey as Kid Flash. Or we could have had Danice as a proven Kid Flash. Instead we got the worst possible choice shoved down our craw: a changeling child Wally.

I'm bone weary bitter. Now if only could forget the decades-old characters like I'm more than willing to forget DC the company.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Actually, no. DC made Wally black to synch up with the TV show (can find quotes for that, just not right now.) There wasn't going to be a black kid in the story, also. Bi-racial, 12 year old Wally West was an specific DC request to the writing team that wasn't part of the original pitch. It was also the reason behind the choice of Booth as artist (can also find quotes on that)

Again, relative. One can say that non-existence is better than this version. Also, the "possibility" of a properly rebooted Wally is way better than the lack of possibility brought by the introduction of this character.
    Apologies, I was remembering it wrong, but I did go back and look at it. The idea of bringing in a black Wally West was indeed DC's idea. But worth noting that the impression I get from the interview is that the younger person in the story was only there because DC asked for it. It doesn't sound like the writers were planning on having a kid character in the storyline at all.

I still feel that this was the only way there was going to be *any* Wally West - I simply don't think DC saw any purpose for him if he wasn't something radically different from before.

http://www.newsarama.com/20938-the-f...-spoilers.html

I'm also about 50/50 on the notion that we're even going to see black Wally West again any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised if that one storyline was it.

They should probably start by trying to make new Wally at least even a little likable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I agree with everything but the last. We (the Wally West fans of 2009 and prior) are worse off than before for their making a stereotypical black kid and slapping the title 'Wally West' on him because somebody high up wanted there to be a black Wally or no Wally and thus TV black Wally (who as yet doesn't actually exist on the show's first season and who knows when/if he'll show in the second one?) meant this (for some reason even though TV and comic worlds are supposed to be different puppies):

I'm definitely worse off because this entire mess has made me lose a ton of interest in comic-book heroes in any media. Why bother loving these characters when their owners are going to pretzel them into some unrecognizable shape later on anyway? I can't enjoy the TV show anymore after that interview with the producer about Wally West always being black from now on. I can't enjoy the Flash books even if I know a particular issue won't feather black Wally West. I can't enjoy anything with 'DC' stamped on it anymore even as my favorite DC characters still catch my eye simply because I grew up loving these characters.

Worst of all, I actually viewed the Convergence: Speed Force #1 preview just minutes ago and could not drum up any feelings of excitement because (as much as I LOVE Wally) I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Seriously. I read the whole thing and all I could do was critique the art because there's this dull feeling inside that just knows that DC is going to use this to stick it to me and others with similar feelings like mine about Wally and where DC is/has headed.

I've no idea where DC is headed unless maybe it's off a cliff and lately I find myself increasingly not much caring whether they go boom or bust.

All because some idiot thought it would be a grand idea to bring diversity to The Flash by switching two established biracial Asian kids for one Name.Only African biracial kid. We could have had Irey as Kid Flash. Or we could have had Danice as a proven Kid Flash. Instead we got the worst possible choice shoved down our craw: a changeling child Wally.

I'm bone weary bitter. Now if only could forget the decades-old characters like I'm more than willing to forget DC the company.
    With respect, I simply cannot fathom being so wrapped up in a particular comic book character. I like "the Flash", in that I like the idea of a guy with super-speed doing cool stuff. But the details of Wally vs. Barry are just not really a big deal to me. I doubt the current storyline in "The Flash" would be radically different if it was a future Wally who came back in time and it living the life of his past counterpart while that Wally is trapped in the Speed Force trying to escape. Sure, he probably wouldn't be a CSI, but otherwise it's not that big a difference.

And really, DC isn't trying to "stick it to you". DC is just trying to tell stories they think will be interesting and inclusive and sell. They are aware that they have some fans who are strongly attached to particular versions of the characters, but they really can't please everybody, particularly those whose tastes are for things as they stood 10 or 20 years ago. DC doesn't hate you, they just can't accommodate you and accomplish other goals that they simply feel they must try to accomplish.

I'm thinking it might be for the best if you take a break, if that's what you're considering.

In the next round of reboots, dc should probably try having both Barry and Wally as african americans for consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post

I'm in the same boat. It's very wearying to follow characters for years and even decades, and to invest time, hard earned hobby cash and emotional energy into them, only to have them taken away and this bait and switch pulled. How else can we feel except tired of DC's antics when this sort of thing happens?

Extraordinary Member

If I may, here's how I think they should handle the new Wally West, both in the comics and other media:

Have an adult, fully trained and outfitted Wally travel back in time. Give him the classic Wally West sense of humor and the full Mark Waid Speed Force derived extra abilities, such as taking speed away or giving it to people or objects. Give him a predominantly red costume (maybe base it on the Dark Flash one) instead of the silver one, and have him play a Max Mercury role to both Barry (colleague and peer with a few tricks up his sleeve) and Bart (overall mentor). Give him some major role in current comics. And have him arriving because someone is actually preventing his return home. Heck, go on and throw in his kids too. He can still be black, but because he's portrayed in a fully matured heroic manner, it's not as immediately important. And when he does leave, Barry knows to train him.

For the show, do the same basic thing but, perhaps make him come from the same middle class African American background as Iris and Joe as a kid first, and build up his part as a big fan of the Flash. Then, have him exit the show as Rip Hunter's ally in the new CW series.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Why go through all of that to give us a character that still isn't the real deal?

Honestly, for me, it's the original or nothing. At this point, I'd rather not have Wally around at all than what DC's done since the New 52 began.

As dc does more reboots in the coming years, there will be more changes to Wally West for sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The PC & SJW did not want a black Wally West. I don't know where you are getting that.

Folks want DC to use the black characters that they HAVE like Vixen, Static, Guardian, Herald, Bumblebee, Jakeem Thunder, Steel and others.

I'm black and I find it offensive what they did to Wally. I mean NO ONE at Dc could come up with a better fate for Wally?

And if this is for that tv show-what happens after it ends?

Does Dc try to push new Wally as the face of black male teen heroes? Which will bring either Duke Thomas or Static into the debate? And Duke has Batgod on his side.
    DC pre-emptively bows down to those crowds all the time,they cant help themselves

For me, the massive mistake was to bring back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen...it completely undermined one of the things that DC had (compared to main rivals Marvel): that in DCU an hero could come on scene, serve their apprenticeship, and after a long while actually take over as one of the main heroes. (Yes, know Marvel do that to some extent in ultimate line... and it works well there. But it doesn't happen in mainstream continuity.)

But that's water under the bridge.

But what I want for the new Wally West is what the original got: loads of time, effort, and thought put into showing his development over the years. So that maybe twenty years from now present fans who are still around maybe think "This character proved himself over time", and the new fans just think "My Flash, the best ever".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    If you believe that. I mean Wally surpassed Barry in ways that not even possible.
    Wally actually used the speedforce in more ways than just running and vibrating,aand occasionally screwing the time stream up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Make no mistake. Wally is supposedly 'light years' ahead of him, because Barry sacrificed himself to save the universe. If it wasn't for that. Wally wouldn't be a thought in anyone's head.
    Spoken like someone who either isn't old enough to know better,oor has just started reading comics in the last few years.