Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Black Panther, Storm, John Stewart, etc.
    *Bzzzt*

Sorry.

Try again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    I am fine with changing race (In fact, I think both DC and Marvel should do more of it - their characters are mostly Caucasian), so long as they develop the character (to be more representative of the real world) - would love to see more superheroes from other countries/regions of the world, instead of just US.

(To the most part, the characters remain the same. But, their culture/identity can make tiny differences in their personality).

What I didn't like about the new 52 version is going with the usual stereotypes associated with African Americans. Don't need all that..give the book to a good writer, let them develop this new version.
    Agreed. Venditti and Jensen have really dropped the ball. The book needs a new creative team that will elevate Barry and Wally. Maybe this should have been the book taken over by the TV people, not Green Arrow.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by DCFanSince88 View Post
    Oh how ever will you manage? Privilege is such a burden.
    I'd make fun of that comment if I could only figure out what privilege he thinks I think I have. I'd like to have a privilege somewhere. It would make for a nice change. Maybe you mean the privilege to switch from buying DC comics to buying IDW/Titan ones? Done that already. Eagerly waiting for my discount Doctor Who trade to arrive.

You want me to accept the new Wally--or at least his existence--a character in name only....(a name that surely a huge fraction of the TV audience doesn't know from Adam)....while at the same time telling me that new characters are impossible to foster. Black Wally West is a new character. He's not THE Wally West. We're supposed to love him because he was given a wallet i.d. swiped by some clerk in DC.

Really, if DC no longer has the imaginative talent and/or marketing research to craft appealing original characters who can then be mixed into existing books, tried out, then if the buying public verifies that they 'done good' make sales on a new, bust out character.... Then they might as well pack it in and offer it all to Disney at a discount because you also need imagination to tell good stories.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Black Panther, Storm, John Stewart, etc.
    well there is many white character that don't sell too, so it's not relevant

while Wally is not defined because he is white, he being white and redhead is iconic. I wouldn't like seeing stephanie black too. Justo too convenient turn supporting characters into POC.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 04-04-2015 at 08:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Don't need all that..give the book to a good writer, let them develop this new version.
    Do you think DC intentionally puts "bad" writers on books? Or has "good" writers beating down their door to work on corporately-owned characters?

There aren't enough "good" writers who can take a relatively unpopular or convoluted or difficult concept and still make it sell.

Extraordinary Member

I think I would've liked this if they would've switched up Barry's ethnicity more.

I really hope they change his name or something like that so I never have to hear these complaints again. It's oike every thread involving new52 Wally turns to this
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    well there is many white character that don't sell too, so it's not relevant
    Not even the same in the slightly.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Name one original minority character that sells.

That's what I thought.
    Ms. Marvels selling better than her white predecessor.

If you put your heart into character, it sells regardless of race.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I'm a fan of Wally West and the race changing didn't really bother me so much as the way it was handled. I think the bigger problems with nuWally are his drastic age reduction and reliance on stereotypes in his story. The common defense of race changing for a given character is that changing their race isn't a big deal because their race isn't central to them. That was the case for Helena Bertinelli, as making her darker didn't really effect and she's still the Italian woman we love. However, the race change inadvertently did change Wally's character. He now has [totally justified] trouble with the police which unfortunately coincided with his race change. On top of this, his massive age reduction makes it very difficult for him to connect with the characters he's always been connected to like Dick Grayson or Cyborg. Not only that, but he's even younger than the generation of heroes that used to [sort of] look up to his generation. He's a totally different character now and not just in the traditional reboot sense.

I think overall, he's debut and everything was just poorly planned altogether and I hope going forward they touch up the character to make him resemble his former self. They can keep him biracial, but he really should be in his 20s and a more experienced hero than "Bart".

Also, as a redhead myself, I would appreciate Wally being a redhead again. Black people can have red hair too, it's not strictly for traditional gingers.

Heh. How about revealing that “Wally West” is indeed an alias, and that his real name is “Bart Allen”?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I'd make fun of that comment if I could only figure out what privilege he thinks I think I have. I'd like to have a privilege somewhere. It would make for a nice change. Maybe you mean the privilege to switch from buying DC comics to buying IDW/Titan ones? Done that already. Eagerly waiting for my discount Doctor Who trade to arrive.

You want me to accept the new Wally--or at least his existence--a character in name only....(a name that surely a huge fraction of the TV audience doesn't know from Adam)....while at the same time telling me that new characters are impossible to foster. Black Wally West is a new character. He's not THE Wally West. We're supposed to love him because he was given a wallet i.d. swiped by some clerk in DC.

Really, if DC no longer has the imaginative talent and/or marketing research to craft appealing original characters who can then be mixed into existing books, tried out, then if the buying public verifies that they 'done good' make sales on a new, bust out character.... Then they might as well pack it in and offer it all to Disney at a discount because you also need imagination to tell good stories.
    Someone's mad it's not the 1950s anymore. "Why can't black people just leave things the way they are?"

The worst part of White Privilege is seeing the denial that surrounds it.
    Last edited by DCFanSince88; 04-05-2015 at 12:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Ms. Marvels selling better than her white predecessor.

If you put your heart into character, it sells regardless of race.
    Ms. Marvel sells less than 30,000 copies. Down 40% from it's opening issue. Digital might be saving this book, but it's not a hit by any means.

Ms. Marvel sells less than 30,000 copies. Down 40% from it's opening issue. Digital might be saving this book, but it's not a hit by any means.
    No it is a hit. Digitally it sells amazingly well for the type of title it is. Usually like top 5 on Comixology in its week, which is on the level of books like Justice League and Avengers.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Someone's mad it's not the 1950s anymore. "Why can't black people just leave things the way they are?"

The worst part of White Privilege is seeing the denial that surrounds it.
    You are heavily implying that I'm a racist. Giving the benefit of the doubt I decided it was possible that the definition for racist has changed from what it was decades ago.
    Nope. Same as it was when I was trying to explain to my ignorant, very racist gran back in the 60's that her views made no sense. Funny how without changing my own stance I'm labeled by both sides as 'one of those sort of people.'. Well, more sad than funny. By all means don't let reality get in the way of your dreamworld where anyone you don't agree with is a bigot by default.

*sigh* Reminds me of an old Star Trek fan slogan.
    Scotty, beam me up. There's no intelligent life here.

BTW, the only thing I liked about the 50's was some of the music and some car designs. Most everything else IMHO kind of stunk. Like architecture, poodle skirts, and The Cold War.
    Last edited by Kyer; 04-05-2015 at 04:07 AM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)