Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thread Drift: Aunt May and One More Day

Quote Originally Posted by Smd42 View Post
    OMD needs no justification. And that (picture) is what being a married couple with a child is all about. The most irresponsible thing Peter could do as a father would be to still be Spider-Man. As an avid collector of the book for 34-35 years, the most fun I've had since Sterns run in the 80s has been everything after OMD, with honorable mention to the McFarlane era. I rest easy knowing Marvel wont change this current trend anytime soon.
    Really? A story in which Spider-Man makes a deal with the devil (to save the life of a woman who had lived a full life and told him to let go) because nobody else in the Marvel Universe can heal a bullet wound needs no justification? Just because you don't like the marriage doesn't suddenly make it a good story. Which has nothing to do with post-OMD stories.

And is it irresponsible for Cops, Soldiers & Firemen to keep doing their jobs when they become parents? After all, those jobs come with a risk of death.

And surely Peter wrestling with his responsibilities as Spider-Man & as a parent are ripe fuel for drama and conflict. I mean, he's got a bunch of underlings at Parker Industries to cover for him when he wants to websling. Aunt May is currently loaded, so she's getting along just fine without him. Baby May? Only has the one dad, so he can't duck out on her like other stuff. I mean he's an orphan for one thing, and Uncle Ben clearly played a key role in making him the man he is today. He wants to be there for his daughter, like Ben was for him-but there's also that voice in his head that says 'when you failed to act as Spider-Man, Uncle Ben died'. How is that not good for drama?

All-New Member

For starters, there is no such thing as the devil, so I'm not even gonna address that whole pile of crazy. Secondly, his mother figure was dying, and yes, he did have a dream in which Iggy Pop told him he was god and that Aunt May wanted to die...im not certain, but that doesn't strike me as a plausible reason to pull the plugin someone.

As for cops, firefighters etc, that's a no brainer, it's their job, they have spent their lives going to school, practicing, training etc etc.. they get paid to do so, get health benefits for their families, and should they die in the line of duty they have insurance policies etc etc. that is literally how they take care of their families. That IS their career.

For him to suit up and risk his life in a city full, brimming, over flowing with super heroes while his wife and child wait at home...well, yeah. Irresponsible to say the least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    The only repercussion of RYV will be that Peter and MJ remember the events pre OMD and the Mephisto deal that saved aunt mays life
    I really wouldn't mind if that's all that this story amounts to. It's at least something.

For starters, there is no such thing as the devil, so I'm not even gonna address that whole pile of crazy. Secondly, his mother figure was dying, and yes, he did have a dream in which Iggy Pop told him he was god and that Aunt May wanted to die...im not certain, but that doesn't strike me as a plausible reason to pull the plugin someone.

As for cops, firefighters etc, that's a no brainer, it's their job, they have spent their lives going to school, practicing, training etc etc.. they get paid to do so, get health benefits for their families, and should they die in the line of duty they have insurance policies etc etc. that is literally how they take care of their families. That IS their career.

For him to suit up and risk his life in a city full, brimming, over flowing with super heroes while his wife and child wait at home...well, yeah. Irresponsible to say the least.
    If you don't believe in God and the Devil, that's all well and good, but in the context of the Marvel Universe, Mephisto is intended to play a role akin to the Devil, especially since Hell on Earth War dealt with the idea of a King of Hell, and the Descent was teased as promising a similar event, and as such, Peter handing the advantage to Mephisto qualifies as making a deal with the devil. Even if you disagree with the supernatural aspects of the story, Mephisto came to Peter with an offer and established his own motive. While Peter was indeed able to save Aunt May, the villain was able to win. It's like giving the Mandarin, Loki, or Red Skull the power to defeat Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America on the grounds that they save Aunt May.

Is there a way for Peter to be a superhero while still being viewed as responsible as those cops and firefighters?

For starters, there is no such thing as the devil, so I'm not even gonna address that whole pile of crazy.
    You do realise the Marvel Universe is fictional, right? Regardless of your religious belief here in the real world, in Marvel Mephisto is an actual guy who exists. Hell, Peter was once on a team with a guy who literally got his powers from hell (Danny Ketch). For someone who claims to have been collecting Marvel Comics for 34-35 years, you show a staggering amount of ignorance for how the Marvel Universe works.

Secondly, his mother figure was dying, and yes, he did have a dream in which Iggy Pop told him he was god and that Aunt May wanted to die...im not certain, but that doesn't strike me as a plausible reason to pull the plugin someone.
    You do realise, first of all in Marvel comics (jury's still out on the realworld) God is real? The Fantastic Four once went to heaven and met him in the form of Jack Kirby. Hell, Peter is if not practicing, a believer, so even if it was a hallucination he believed it was the real deal. Not to mention he actually had a seance with May (again, MAGIC IS REAL IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, not sure how you missed that) when she told him to move on. Considering her family & her beloved husband were already dead, letting her pass on to heaven to be with them (which again, is a real thing in Marvel), especially since that's her wish to do so, is the only compassionate thing to do.

And it wasn't 'pulling the plug'-May was dying, and (bafflingly enough, considering the mundaneness of the injury & Peter's list of people he's friends with or owes favours from) nothing could be done. So it was unnaturally extending her life with a pact with the Marvel equivalent to Satan. Somehow I doubt May would have approved. Considering it retroactively aborted baby May and possibly another child, I imagine if she ever learned the truth of her recovery, she would likely disown Peter. It was an act of utmost selfishness, especially since Peter guilt tripped MJ into doing it.

But Peter literally made his money taking photos of himself as Spider-Man. Several times if Peter hadn't been there, the world (or in one case the universe itself) would have ended. And considering that the driving urge in Peter's life as Spider-Man is that the one time he failed to act his Uncle Ben died, I really don't see him being able to turn his back on that so easily. Considering he's actually an Avenger now (with all that entails, including a paycheck), crimefighting is his career. Even if there's no formal life insurance in place, someone like Tony Stark or Danny Rand would probably see to it his wife and kid were taken care of if he fell in the line of duty.

Hell, if it was just about the paycheck, then half of the Superheroes in the Marvel Universe would pack it in.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    You do realise the Marvel Universe is fictional, right?
    Hold on, say again? This changes everything!

All-New Member

You do realise the Marvel Universe is fictional, right? Regardless of your religious belief here in the real world, in Marvel Mephisto is an actual guy who exists. Hell, Peter was once on a team with a guy who literally got his powers from hell (Danny Ketch). For someone who claims to have been collecting Marvel Comics for 34-35 years, you show a staggering amount of ignorance for how the Marvel Universe works.

You do realise, first of all in Marvel comics (jury's still out on the realworld) God is real? The Fantastic Four once went to heaven and met him in the form of Jack Kirby. Hell, Peter is if not practicing, a believer, so even if it was a hallucination he believed it was the real deal. Not to mention he actually had a seance with May (again, MAGIC IS REAL IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, not sure how you missed that) when she told him to move on. Considering her family & her beloved husband were already dead, letting her pass on to heaven to be with them (which again, is a real thing in Marvel), especially since that's her wish to do so, is the only compassionate thing to do.

And it wasn't 'pulling the plug'-May was dying, and (bafflingly enough, considering the mundaneness of the injury & Peter's list of people he's friends with or owes favours from) nothing could be done. So it was unnaturally extending her life with a pact with the Marvel equivalent to Satan. Somehow I doubt May would have approved. Considering it retroactively aborted baby May and possibly another child, I imagine if she ever learned the truth of her recovery, she would likely disown Peter. It was an act of utmost selfishness, especially since Peter guilt tripped MJ into doing it.

But Peter literally made his money taking photos of himself as Spider-Man. Several times if Peter hadn't been there, the world (or in one case the universe itself) would have ended. And considering that the driving urge in Peter's life as Spider-Man is that the one time he failed to act his Uncle Ben died, I really don't see him being able to turn his back on that so easily. Considering he's actually an Avenger now (with all that entails, including a paycheck), crimefighting is his career. Even if there's no formal life insurance in place, someone like Tony Stark or Danny Rand would probably see to it his wife and kid were taken care of if he fell in the line of duty.

Hell, if it was just about the paycheck, then half of the Superheroes in the Marvel Universe would pack it in.

Sure, they meet the One Above All, but that entity is not god in the biblical sense, nothing in the Marvel Universe is going to fit the judeo christian beliefs you seem so eager to shoehorn into the comics. Which in and of itself is disturbing. Yes, Zarathos gave Ghost Rider his powers, yes Spidey has teamed up with him on occasion, but Zarathos, just like Mephisto, Eternity, the Living Tribunal etc etc etc are just cosmic entities. Not physical manifestations of hell or heaven.

Pull the plug, let some one die that you have the means to save, potato, potatoe.

Peter did take photos of himself, but that was because he was so busy being Spider-Man he couldn't be anything else, even though he academically could be, well in charge of his own company making cutting edge advancements in science. I'm guessing a wife and child would much rather that than spandex and superfoes. In the comic book world, that really doesn't matter much, as it is just comics, but if you want to put a little real world logic into them, well, you can't much argue with that.

Incredible Member

...to save the life of a woman who had lived a full life...
    Every time I see a disgruntled fan throw that into one of their online arguments, I want to forward it along to their parents and grandparents. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Every time I see a disgruntled fan throw that into one of their online arguments, I want to forward it along to their parents and grandparents. :-)
    Didnt you just have Aunt May sulking about not seeing Peter get married before she dies? Peter wouldn't allow that to happen!

I think May would smack the crap out of Peter over the trade off he made. Esp. After finding out about what it meant for their future daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Respectfully, Mr. Slott, my grandparents were devout Baptists who believed a better existence lay past this life and would have quite vehemently forbid me from making a deal with a demon to save their lives. I realize you're making a light-hearted point here, but that is the general point of view that most Westerners would be coming from in such a situation, and it is relevant to a work of fiction produced by, and primarily for, Westerners.

It's why the story is morally repugnant to many people

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Respectfully, Mr. Slott, my grandparents were devout Baptists who believed a better existence lay past this life and would have quite vehemently forbid me from making a deal with a demon to save their lives. I realize you're making a light-hearted point here, but that is the general point of view that most Westerners would be coming from in such a situation, and it is relevant to a work of fiction produced by, and primarily for, Westerners.

maybe so. maybe.

but he was replying directly to a remark that may was old enough to let go. the point about religion or "demons" is tangential.

Fair point and you make it respectfully but I think Slott was referring to May being portrayed as a woman who has/had lived a long and full life and, at some point, people do let go, especially if---given the choice----her letting go somehow helped her "son". But we are probably getting too deep into something that I personally think was a poor driver for a story.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    maybe so. maybe.

but he was replying directly to a remark that may was old enough to let go. the point about religion or "demons" is tangential.
    I don't see it as tangential. Take the Mephisto deal out of the story, and yeah, people still aren't going to like it, but the number of people making the point about May's age would dwindle greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Fair point and you make it respectfully but I think Slott was referring to May being portrayed as a woman who has/had lived a long and full life and, at some point, people do let go, especially if---given the choice----her letting go somehow helped her "son". But we are probably getting too deep into something that I personally think was a poor driver for a story.
    And May said she was ready.to go too.

Can you imagine Peter.telling her about the deal? Look May! You get live a few more years at the expense of my life long happiness and the life of your future grand daughter! Isnt that great?! May would call Peter a damned fool and would be screaming for him to take it back. I cant imagine how bad it would make me feel to know the last years of my life were bought at the expense of my family's descendants.

I don't see it as tangential. Take the Mephisto deal out of the story, and yeah, people still aren't going to like it, but the number of people making the point about May's age would dwindle greatly.
    if that's the case, then it proves slott's point. those people are being intellectually dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    if that's the case, then it proves slott's point. those people are being intellectually dishonest.
    I dont think thats the case. Not sure what Mephisto has to do with the problem of trading the elder for the descendants instead of the other way around.