Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delvetheunknown View Post
    Do you guys recommend any series that I might like?

-I really like Spider-Man since he has a very cool rogues gallery but most of all, he is very flawed and is more grounded in reality than most heroes.
    -I really like Deadpool because of the humor and it has that nice parody feel to it.
    -I really like X-Men due to the extensive list of characters with really cool mutant powers.
    -I really like GotG because it's setting is cosmic which I find really cool.
    Try Superior foes of spider-man! And try Moon knight by Ellis and Thor god of thunder. For older stories check out Annihilation and Astonishing X-men #1-24
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

I'm currently getting Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers World, Daredevil, Hulk, Original Sin, X-Factor and Marvel Man, and trade waiting Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Moon Knight and Mighty Avengers, plus picking up any MCU books that pop up.

To anyone who doesn't have much knowledge of the marvel world and likes interesting teen characters I definitely recommend The Runaways and Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    You need to read the Kevin Smith books, at least the first arc. There is a very important part of DD history you need to see for yourself.
    Thanks.

I've ordered Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith, The Man Without Fear and Born Again by Frank Miller, and the Bendis run. Next on my list when I'm willing to spend more is Brubaker's run.

What order should I read these in?

Edit - Just realised I've missed out David Mack's Part of a Hole. Should I be reading that after Guardian Devil.
    Last edited by Rorschach; 05-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Thanks.

I've ordered Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith, The Man Without Fear and Born Again by Frank Miller, and the Bendis run. Next on my list when I'm willing to spend more is Brubaker's run.

What order should I read these in?

Edit - Just realised I've missed out David Mack's Part of a Hole. Should I be reading that after Guardian Devil.
    Man Without Fear, Born Again, Guardian Devil, Parts of a Hole, then Bendis' run.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Man Without Fear, Born Again, Guardian Devil, Parts of a Hole, then Bendis' run.
    Hi thanks for your advice. I've just finished Frank Miller's "The Man Without Fear" (loved it, one of my most enjoyable reads since starting this hobby in the past year). I am following your advice, and have also read elsewhere to read Born Again before starting Guardian Devil, but are you sure I should read Born Again immediately next? From what I've seen of the plot synopsis, it apparently revolves heavily around a female character I haven't been introduced to, or does Born Again introduce her?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Rorschach; 05-27-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Amazing Member

Default Tips for a marvel newb

Hi guys, I've been a marvel fan for a while now, but only to the extent of films, games and factfiles. I recently read 'all new x-men" and I'm addicted. I'm reading "uncanny x-force" at the moment and just want to know what people's favourite comic series was/is.. Would be really helpful as I am new at all this ,any information on marvel comics would be great..

So the question..

What has been the comic book series you've enjoyed most?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Hi guys, I've been a marvel fan for a while now, but only to the extent of films, games and factfiles. I recently read 'all new x-men" and I'm addicted. I'm reading "uncanny x-force" at the moment and just want to know what people's favourite comic series was/is.. Would be really helpful as I am new at all this ,any information on marvel comics would be great..

So the question..

First, welcome to the wonderful world of Marvel comics!!!!!!

I'd like to start out by saying, don't expect the comics to be like the movies, the movies are their own "universe" often reffered to as the "MCU" (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and the main comics are "616". You may already know this, and I apologize if so, a lot of new readers form the movies think that the movies are exact translations from the comics.

I'm currently reading X-Force, Nightcrawler, All Avengers titles (World, Uncanny, Secret, New, Mighty), Captain America, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, Thor, Iron Man. My favorite is Captain America, but the other comics are really great right now as well.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Welcome to the world of Marvel Comics Captain! Hope you enjoy the experience.

My personal recommendations right now would be She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Amazing Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, New Warriors, Nova, Avengers, Mighty Avengers and New Avengers.

My personal favourite being Amazing Spider-Man but the others are great as well.

I read others including All-New X-Men but I didn't want to list too many for you.

In terms of more detailed recommendations, what characters do you like or what themes do you like seeing explored?

For now, from what I'm reading, I would recomend She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Miss Marvel, Black Widow, Elektra, and Mighty Avengers since they're more accessible.

Also I would recomend Avengers and New Avengers as well. However to be caught up you would need to catch up via trade and also read the event series Infinity.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Tastes really varies from people to people, especially with recent Marvel books - which cover a decent variety of art styles and story styles.

Unless you hate reading comics on a screen you may have a look at http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited - it gives you access to thousands of comics for the prices of two or three comics a month, so it's a pretty neat way to get a sense about the characters, the teams, the history, the events, etc. and discover what are your favourites without spending too much money.

The characters profiling sites can also be useful in dipping your big toe in and getting a sense of what you'll prefer. Wikipedia or Marvel.com can be useful but have drawbacks ; other sites include http://www.marvunapp.com/, the Marvel Wikia and the ever-lovable writeups.org.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Some great recommendations above.
    I would say:
    Astonishing X-men #1-24 and giant size Astonishing X-men #1 all by Whedon
    Captain America by Brubaker
    Planet Hulk
    Thunderbolts by Ellis
    X-statix (including X-Force #116-129)

What are your personal prefered genres/themes/characters?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Amazing Member

Wow didn't expect so many great replys, thank you all for the warm welcome.

@ghostwise I just checked out that marvel unlimited and subscribed to it, extremely cheap compared to what I had spent.

She-hulk seems popular so I'll think I'll give that a try next. Loving x-force atm.

@tg1982 thank you for that information, I didn't know any of that, I thought the movies where a spin off from the comics, hated the fact that wolverine lost his claws in his last film.

Thank you everyone that posted, I'm going to take a look at all of the suggested as I'm now a marvel unlimited sub

Does anyone read multiple comics at a time? Or just stick to one series?

As of the past few years Pak's Incredible Hulk(s), Gillen's Journey Into Mystery, Hickman's Fantastic Four, and Brubaker's Captain America are the best of the best.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!