Page 40 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thanks! I'll definetly give those a look. I'm ok with reading non dark stuff, looking for something different. What would be a good iron man or avengers book?
    Last edited by booleanspline; 05-05-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Amazing Member

You mentioned above that you wanted something different? If you like teen books like Teen Titans or Young Justice then I suggest Runaways or Young Avengers. As for Avengers runs the current run of Hickman's is really good and leads into Secret Wars, but it's not a traditional Avenger's tale. Maybe try the upcoming Secret Wars series. Superior Iron Man is currently really good and is kind of a darker Iron Man.

I can whole-heartedly reiterate recommendations for Jason Aaron's recent Thor: God of Thunder runs, beginning with The God Butcher, and Mark Waid's Daredevil runs, beginning with Vol. #3 launched in 2011 but continuing into the relaunched (but with the same team) Vol. #4.

Also recommended: She-Hulk, penned by current Swamp Thing scribe Charles Soule, which unfortunately concluded with issue #12 this past February. Also concluded but VERY worth picking up in trades, Matt Fraction's unique run on Hawkeye. Nick Spencer's fledgling run on Ant-Man has been REALLY good through its first few issues. G. Willow Wilson's stint on Ms. Marvel has also been reliably excellent, though Kamala Khan shares little in common with the three characters you mentioned, so I recommend it on quality, but I'm not sure it will hit the right tone for you. If you prefer a little nihilism in your comics, you might check out Deadpool, whose quality has been more erratic than any of the others I mention, but is always entertaining, and when it's on point, it's really stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by booleanspline View Post
    Pretty much a dc guy, but I have liked most the marvel movies and def liked AOU. Was just never a fan of their comics as much, I prefer the more seriousness of dc, and I like the darker art work that it goes along with. That being said I would like to branch out a bit and give marvel a try, but where does one begin? Any recommendations on how I could get started in the world of marvel, or comics that I may like by them?
    Not to sound like a jerk, but i've always thought of DC being the more light hearted one.

If you like serious stories and dark art work, you might like to get the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil collection?
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well if you are interested in Marvel, Marvel is doing a bunch of new series during Secret Wars. You could see what catches your eye and give it a shot, however no one knows which series will continue past Secret Wars.

Now I can't say you will enjoy what I'd recommend but perhaps try the recent Daredevil or Moon Knight runs. Other then that is there any specific Marvel Heroes you are interested in reading.
    Yeah, I gotta say, I don't think I'd recommend Secret Wars as a starting place. The commitment's huge and, as with any "event", the shake-out is extremely uncertain, both in terms of plot and quality. If you're already into these series, it can be exciting; if you're not, probably more disorienting than anything.

I'd recommend starting with a few more self-contained runs in recent years. Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder is spectacular, though I recommend picking up with The God Butcher rather than starting with the current issue. Same goes for Mark Waid's reliably excellent run on Daredevil, beginning with Vol. 3 (2011) and continuing with the same creative team into Vol. 4. I've also been very impressed with the first few issues of Nick Spencer's Ant-Man, which has filled a little of the void left behind by his truly spectacular (and criminally under-read) The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, which is ABSOLUTELY worth checking out in trades if you're at all interested. I'd also recommend the newly concluded, but very good She-Hulk, written by Charles Soule the current writer for DC's great run on Swamp Thing (also worth checking out, if you're not already reading it, beginning with issue #19).

Try Marvel Now Moonknight if you like batman/darker stories. Some MAX titles too.

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    Yeah, I gotta say, I don't think I'd recommend Secret Wars as a starting place. The commitment's huge and, as with any "event", the shake-out is extremely uncertain, both in terms of plot and quality. If you're already into these series, it can be exciting; if you're not, probably more disorienting than anything.

I'd recommend starting with a few more self-contained runs in recent years. Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder is spectacular, though I recommend picking up with The God Butcher rather than starting with the current issue. Same goes for Mark Waid's reliably excellent run on Daredevil, beginning with Vol. 3 (2011) and continuing with the same creative team into Vol. 4. I've also been very impressed with the first few issues of Nick Spencer's Ant-Man, which has filled a little of the void left behind by his truly spectacular (and criminally under-read) The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, which is ABSOLUTELY worth checking out in trades if you're at all interested. I'd also recommend the newly concluded, but very good She-Hulk, written by Charles Soule the current writer for DC's great run on Swamp Thing (also worth checking out, if you're not already reading it, beginning with issue #19).
    Yeah I can see that, I just thought I'd suggest the tie ins since some of the stories will be brand new and might carry over into whatever Marvel will be afterwards.

But yeah he should definitely read some more standalone series before anything else.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Pretty much a dc guy, but I have liked most the marvel movies and def liked AOU. Was just never a fan of their comics as much, I prefer the more seriousness of dc, and I like the darker art work that it goes along with. That being said I would like to branch out a bit and give marvel a try, but where does one begin? Any recommendations on how I could get started in the world of marvel, or comics that I may like by them?
    I personally started reading Marvel by just picking up random comics. When I tried DC, it was mainly the stories everyone raves about. Things like TDKR, Year One, Kingdom Come, Watchmen, etc. I guess your best bet is to check out the "iconic" Marvel stories.

Thanks for the reply. Mainly batman, dkr, tkj, long Halloween. All the classics, plus the snyder/capullo run is pretty great. I have read born again and that it was awesome. What would be a marvel must read?
    My personal Marvel must-reads are:

-Marvels. For a guy who may like Kingdom Come, but is looking to see what Marvel has to offer. Marvels offers a window into why the Marvel universe is the kind of place that people are very curious about.
    -Infinity Gauntlet. This book sealed for me why the Marvel universe always felt so vast.
    -Chris Claremont & Jim Lee's X-Men #1 - 3. A personal recommendation. These three issues made me an X-Men fan for life.
    -Daredevil: Man Without Fear. When I was on my Frank Miller kick early in my university years, this comic really floored me. It might offer some intrigue into upcoming seasons of the Netflix TV show, as well.
    -Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. Get the first 4 books. This is such a great run. All the way up to the Dark Angel Saga, part 2. Great start and carries all the way to the finish.
    -Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison & J.G. Jones. A book with a lot of crazy ideas and I think might offer some "easy transition for a DC reader" as it is a primarily DC guy doing something fresh for Marvel.

If you want something really dense that is an "Elseworld" type story that encapsulates pretty much everything about the Marvel Universe that is amazing, I'd recommend Earth X.

Welcome to Marvel. Hope you survive the experience
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    As per my previous post I'd second the Marvel Unlimited subscription, really worth while, but make sure you have decent sized and spec'd tablet.

Cosimo, what would you consider to be the core post AvX books? Uncanny Avengers, All new x-Me, Uncanny X-men?
    For X-Men continuity? All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are the core books. Uncanny Avengers is its own story that is self contained, the Axis event is a part of the run. And yeah I love the Marvel Unlimited subscription for sampling various comics and checking out older runs.
    Last edited by Cosimo; 05-05-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Get a Marvel unlimited account.

You will get access to thousands and thousands of comics from their back catalog. Pick some of the darker characters, like pre-Waid Daredevil, Punisher, the MAX imprint, 80's Wolverine, Elektra, Uncanny X-Force, Dark Avengers, etc.

Hickman's work on Fantastic Four and the Avengers are pretty serious, if a bit fantastic in nature.

If you just want a great place to jump into marvel with, go back and read Bendis' run on the New Avengers. Start with #1 and progress forward in time. Read the events and dive into the series that branch off from those events (Might Avengers and Dark Avengers especially).

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I'm not usually a fan of very dark themed comics; but GarthEnnis's Punisher Max work is extraordinary, and sounds like it might be your thing.

I'll second Marvel Unlimited as being the business for catching up. You need a good tablet, and not everything is there; but there's so many great comics, and it's by far the cheapest way to read them.
    "Self has no time for this."

100%, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most acclaimed "dark" stories is Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts. It's only two TPBs, and if you love it, we can expand from there (his run rebranded the team, and set the bar all others will follow).

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

You'll get a million different answers to this, depending on who you ask.
    I'd definitely look up The Punisher Max 1-60 by Ennis. It'll dovetail nicely with Born Again, and it's all very very good. As I said though, the dark stuff isn't usually my thing, so I'm not your best guide, but here's a slightly random list.

Daredevil is often brought up as the character who's been best written over time. I'm enjoying the current run by Waid, with art by Samnee, although it's a less gritty than usual take. Also worth checking out are the Miller, Brubaker and Bendis runs.

One of my favourite things from Marvel ever ever is Warren Ellis's Nextwave. It's definitely not dark, so much as off the wall and very funny. If you do get Marvel Unlimited it's definitely worth a look.

If you want to check out the X-Men, you might like Morrison's New X-Men. After Claremont it's probably the most influential take. It's a bit twisted, and very entertaining.

In terms of darkish currently running series which I'm reading; Black Widow is well written, with stunning art. Elektra, (just cancelled) was a really good book.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-08-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    100%, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most acclaimed "dark" stories is Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts. It's only two TPBs, and if you love it, we can expand from there (his run rebranded the team, and set the bar all others will follow).

]
    I really must get my hands on this.

Wow that marvel unlimited sounds awesome, signing up tonite. hmmm, strange dc doesn't do this. I think I'm gonna try superior Spiderman cause it sounds awesome, then that thunderbolt thing looks cool. Thanks everyone can't wait to be a marvel fan.