Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Explain this to me like I'm a 5-year-old

So full disclosure, I haven't really read a new Marvel comic book for over a decade. But I'm trying to gain a new understanding of them.

So I used to think Secret Wars 2015 totally rebooted Marvel Comics, similar to what DC did in 2011 with Flashpoint. (or Star Trek in 2009, or Mortal Kombat in 2011. Thanks a lot, Abrams.) But I was told this wasn't the case and from what I remember what it mainly did was merge Miles Morales into the Marvel history.

So it was less like Flashpoint and more like Crisis on Infinite Earths, just merging two realities but keeping most of the continuity we know intact.
    (Or at least, so that's what Crisis was initially intended to do before it ended up basically rewriting all DC history, but I digress. You get what I mean.)

Is this accurate? I would've rather liked it if they rebooted, and I like that they did that at DC. After all, how far can you take the sliding timescale? (At DC, Batman would've been in his 50s right now if not for Flashpoint). How many times can our heroes fight the same villains?

Also, on a side note, I was curious, were the events of One More Day ever undone? From what I'm reading, it looks like they were finally undone in 2021 in ASM 74. Am I getting that right? Are they married again? Did they remember their marriage?

Astonishing Member

OMD wasn't undone.

The new Marvel Universe basically nip, tuck, addition, and more, but is also very similar to the old destroyed Marvel Universe. We are in the 8th cosmos now and Prime Earth (616) is the main universe.

Also not every destroyed universe came back.

Incredible Member

Oh man, that DOES sound like a Flashpoint situation. Like, it's a whole new universe? So they can basically say whatever they please from past continuity fits or doesn't in this new world? See, I knew there was a reason I gave up reading Marvel!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Oh man, that DOES sound like a Flashpoint situation. Like, it's a whole new universe? So they can basically say whatever they please from past continuity fits or doesn't in this new world? See, I knew there was a reason I gave up reading Marvel!
    No. After Secret Wars, everything continued as it was before. So the O5 X-Men were still in the present and Spider-Man who was in charge of a multi-million dollar company because Doc Ock was using his body for a while.

The only change was that Miles Morales from Ultimate Spider-Man was living in New York with Peter Parker Spider-Man.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

No, not a whole new universe continuity wise but still new universe structure wise. They only added in stuff without subtracting most of the old continuity.

Some survivors were folded in the exact roles in the new universe they had and aren't copies.

So I used to think Secret Wars 2015 totally rebooted Marvel Comics, similar to what DC did in 2011 with Flashpoint. (or Star Trek in 2009, or Mortal Kombat in 2011. Thanks a lot, Abrams.)
    I was closer to the Age of Apocalypse (the original version). They blew up the universe, replaced it with something else, then at the end of the story brought the original universe back, just with a few minor changes here and there.

Is this accurate? I would've rather liked it if they rebooted, and I like that they did that at DC. After all, how far can you take the sliding timescale? (At DC, Batman would've been in his 50s right now if not for Flashpoint). How many times can our heroes fight the same villains?
    If they rebooted things, wouldn't they still be fighting the same villains, just with the word "rebooted" added to the description?

Also, on a side note, I was curious, were the events of One More Day ever undone? From what I'm reading, it looks like they were finally undone in 2021 in ASM 74. Am I getting that right? Are they married again? Did they remember their marriage?
    They aren't married and don't remember it, but various stories have showed us that whatever Mephisto had planned, he failed miserably at. Also, pretty much everything that changed has been explained as having nothing to do with Mephisto and Mephisto himself may have accidentally retconned his own involvement out of it, depending on how you interprate the stories.

Astonishing Member

Marvel pretty much hyped it up as a new universe. And used new destination for awhile and switched to the new 616 is really the prime universe over all others.

Ewing had the previous 7 cosmos showed up in his works, so the pre SW Marvel Universe.

Some Marvel workers even joked or hinted that many characters are copies.

To be clear to the OP, the "8th Cosmos" is just a technicality. There were no meaningful changes, and most people in-universe do not even know of Secret Wars to begin with (only Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange, Molecule Man, the survivors of both life rafts and Old Man Logan). It's not a reboot as Flashpoint.

On paper, the whole thing of the incursions should have left only 1 universe, but where's the fun in that? As soon as they needed them, they used them as they always did. The best example is Spider-Gwen, set in its own universe, it got published without interruption or multiversal incident during the whole of Secret Wars. Somehow, all universes were destroyed, except for Earth-65.

OMD was not undone, as pointed. There was a recent run that hinted heavily that it was about to do so, but they chickened out at the last moment. And the less we talk about the current run, the better.

By the way, it's slightly off-topic, but the Star Trek reboot is only for the films. The other Star Trek things done since then (Discovery, Strange New Worlds, Picard, Prodigy, Lower Decks) are still in the original canon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    By the way, it's slightly off-topic, but the Star Trek reboot is only for the films. The other Star Trek things done since then (Discovery, Strange New Worlds, Picard, Prodigy, Lower Decks) are still in the original canon.
    True, but it definitely set off a trend, and I truly believe it's the only reason Flashpoint happened. Also, just like that film was simply labeled "Star Trek," the Mortal Kombat reboot was just labeled "Mortal Kombat," and the original title for Terminator: Genisys was just "Terminator."

Incredible Member

https://www.quora.com/How-old-is-Spi...n-in-Earth-616

So this explains part of it too. It says Peter "was one of the few survivors of the sixth multiverse." But obviously everyone "Survived." Is this meant to immply he's one of hte few that actually remembers the old multiverse? Do characters remember a time when Miles was not part of their universe?

https://www.quora.com/How-old-is-Spi...n-in-Earth-616

So this explains part of it too. It says Peter "was one of the few survivors of the sixth multiverse." But obviously everyone "Survived." Is this meant to immply he's one of hte few that actually remembers the old multiverse? Do characters remember a time when Miles was not part of their universe?
    When the last incursion took place, Earth-616 and Earth-1610 were destroyed, and everybody died. And everybody means EVERYBODY. When Secret Wars ended, everybody was brought back to life again, as if nothing had happened. But that doesn't negate that, for the duration of the event, they were dead. So they don't remember the Secret Wars, not even a thin recollection of it. Because they were dead. There were many familiar faces in the Battleworld domains, but they were not the characters we know, but cosmic duplicates made by Doom. They all ceased to exist by the end of the event, when everybody returned home.

Of course, there are a handful of exceptions. Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange and Molecule Man where elsewhere at the moment of destruction and are the architects of Battleworld, not duplicates. It was always them, and so they remember. Old Man Logan is the only character from a Battleworld domain that somehow managed to escape to the restored Earth-616. And the survivors of the life rafts are in a similar situation to Doom and his friends. They were Reed Richards, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Starlord, Cyclops, Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Thor (Jane Foster), Thanos, Black Swan, Terrax, Namor, Proxima Midnight, Maximus, Corvus Glaive, and the Maker. Note that only Miles and the Maker are the ones from the Ultimate universe.

Incredible Member

Okay, so let me make sure I understand this, and start by copying and pasting those names:

Reed Richards, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Starlord, Cyclops, Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Thor (Jane Foster), Thanos, Black Swan, Terrax, Namor, Proxima Midnight, Maximus, Corvus Glaive, and the Maker....

are the only ones who remember how the old 616 was?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I missed (or forgot) most of this stuff...and based on some of the above responses, I'm glad that I did.

Is it time to blow it all up again yet?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I missed (or forgot) most of this stuff...and based on some of the above responses, I'm glad that I did.

Is it time to blow it all up again yet?
    Sounds like DC to me! They have become the very thing they swore to destroy!

Also, side note: I was at a con one time and asked Joe Quesada point-blank if Marvel would ever have a Crisis. He looked at me and said "No, no Crisis at Marvel."

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Basically, all the talk saying Secret Wars was a reboot was a lie. They used post-Secret Wars to make all the comics 6 months ahead of themselves to set up some fancy new status quos.