Page 64 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AllNew52RebirthNow View Post
    hello, im basically new to marvel comics. only thing i have read is spiderverse, civil war, and a bit of Marvels. i heard that Marvel Now is basically marvel's new 52, but marvel now seems so be over? is marvel now 2.0 a new starting off point? my biggest question is, where do i start reading marvel comics without reading hundreds of back issues? i do plan on reading civil war 2, but what do i need to know about that? do i start with marvel now 2.0? secret wars? plz help
    If you don't want to read hundreds of back issues, and to do it quickly, you can begin with Secret Empire (easy to find, it just ends this month), and buy the new series you like next months. But it could be interesting to read some last issues of "Captain America", for example #11 and #25.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

EDIT: Questions answered
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 10-09-2017 at 08:17 AM.

All-New Member

Hey, some of my favorite comics are the next:
    -Infinity Guantelet (my favorite)
    -Infinity War
    -Daredevil: Born Again
    -Kravens Last Hunt
    -Planet Hulk
    I recomend you those comics, specially Infinity Guantelet, Infinity War movie is based on that comic.

Spectacular Member

So what are the best pre-Busiek Avengers runs/stories? I'd love to have the time to read all of it buylt I hear a lot the Silver Age/early Bronze stuff can be quite a slog. Is any of the Silver Age stuff worth picking up? The Roger Stern run is really the only older Avengers run I hear people talk about.

Besides Stern I'm thinking about just trying to pick up Epics that contain character intros/when they first join the team and major plot lines, i.e first Ultron, Kree-Skrull War, first Vision, etc. I'm more of an X-Men guy myself so any input would be fantastic.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    So what are the best pre-Busiek Avengers runs/stories? I'd love to have the time to read all of it buylt I hear a lot the Silver Age/early Bronze stuff can be quite a slog. Is any of the Silver Age stuff worth picking up? The Roger Stern run is really the only older Avengers run I hear people talk about.

Besides Stern I'm thinking about just trying to pick up Epics that contain character intros/when they first join the team and major plot lines, i.e first Ultron, Kree-Skrull War, first Vision, etc. I'm more of an X-Men guy myself so any input would be fantastic.
    I personally enjoyed Simonson's run following Stern ( well it still had great art by Buscema). Byrne's West Coast Avengers run is worth a check-in to make up your own mind (I'd say the entire WCA until around #75 or so). Also Harras's Gatherers storyline was good (though quite spread out with alot of filler-in between - so look for a trade).

Incredible Member

OPERATION:GALACTIC STORM where the Avengers try to talk down both sides in the Kree/Shi'Ar war. Both sides use of stargate/wormhole tech in close proximity of the sun causing our resident star to flare up, and possibly catastrophic damage to Earth. It's also the first time that Avengers meet up, and end up butting heads with Shi'Ar Imperial Guard.

All-New Member

Hidden gem: Agents of Atlas.
    Parker was on fire with this one. The team dynamic was amazing.

All-New Member

Remender's Secret Avengers, and Ellis Secret Avengers are very enjoyable.
    Last edited by Erick5; 10-29-2017 at 10:27 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Fist View Post
    Hey, some of my favorite comics are the next:
    -Infinity Guantelet (my favorite)
    -Infinity War
    -Daredevil: Born Again
    -Kravens Last Hunt
    -Planet Hulk
    I recomend you those comics, specially Infinity Guantelet, Infinity War movie is based on that comic.
    What about WWHulk? Planet Hulk is amazing, but WWH wasn't bad.

Can someone find me the scan of Pepper Potts saying Iron Man wouldn't be able to get anything done without her because she ran his company on the side while he was off being Iron man? I believe Bendis wrote it.

I've been reading mostly Image lately: Black Road, The Goddamned, and Moonshine. I'm currently working my way through Fatale, but I'm looking for a new series to start after I catch up with that. I'm also a big fan of Vertigo stuff like Scalped and Unknown Soldier. Can anyone recommend a Marvel series in line with the titles I've listed? Preferrably something that's able to stand on its own and doesn't require me reading a bunch of tie-ins. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I've been reading mostly Image lately: Black Road, The Goddamned, and Moonshine. I'm currently working my way through Fatale, but I'm looking for a new series to start after I catch up with that. I'm also a big fan of Vertigo stuff like Scalped and Unknown Soldier. Can anyone recommend a Marvel series in line with the titles I've listed? Preferrably something that's able to stand on its own and doesn't require me reading a bunch of tie-ins. Thanks!
    Inhumans Limited series by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee.
    The current Black Bolt series is interesting and currently stand alone.
    Iron Fist by Brubaker and then Fraction

Some of my recommendations:

War of Kings (especially if you like Inhumans, Kree, Shi'ar, etc)
    Planet Hulk (such a simple yet effective story)
    PunisherMAX (by Aaron/Dillon. A superbly violent and imaginative re-telling of The Punisher mythos. My 'white whale'!)
    Iron Man (2012) - (by Gillen/Land. I especially enjoyed 'The Godkiller' arc and Record 451's involvement)
    X-Cutioner's Song (one of the earliest long-arcing X-Men yarns I read as a kid. Bit dated now, but still fun)

I'll think of some more soon.

BANNED

Some fairly recent stuff that comes to mind:

Thor: God of Thunder by Aaron (first 25 issues only)
    The Marvels Project / Captain America / Winter Soldier / Secret Avengers by Brubaker
    Thunderbolts by Ellis
    Dark Avengers by Bendis
    Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker/Fraction/Swierczynski
    Uncanny X-Force by Remender

As far as old stuff, Captain Britain Omnibus by Moore/Davis/Delano is a pretty great read and the material has aged very well.

Current ongoings, I would recommend Iron Fist by Brisson, Defenders by Bendis and Darth Vader by Soule.

Spectacular Member

its a pity they can't do Ironfist well on tv/film, i guess it might be like Mr Fantastic, Superman, Jonah Hex etc just difficult to translate on screen