Page 54 of 73 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Howard the Duck: 70s Gerber stuff
    Tomb of Dracula: 70s Wolfman/Colan
    Avengers Final Threat (Starlin), plus practically anything from the 90s Kurt Busiek/George Perez era
    Invincible Iron Man: Kurt Busiek again
    Captain America: the Mark Waid is the closest you'll come in quality to the Brubaker, at times it even matches it imo. Man Out of Time is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Spider-Man 2099 was rather good, but it was a double-shipper, so I had to drop it. If that's not a problem though, I'd go for it. As for Moon Knight, well, he's not really similar to Karnak. The new vol focuses on his DID and supernatural aspects. It's got Egyptian mythology, supernatural threats, all that stuff. The first 6 issues of the NOW! Vol were similar to Karnak since they were both by Ellis, but the new vol by Lemire is different enough. Meaning that it's got a "normal" story, with progression, arcs, etc, etc, and it's not just one and done issues.

As for Fantastic Four, Ultimates is like the classic stuff. A small team of cosmic folks having sci-fi adventures and protecting the cosmos. It's got Galactus, Eternity, parallel dimensions, all that. It's as far removed from Fraction's awful run as it gets. I'd certainly give it a try if you like sci-fi.
    That's some great advice! I'll pick up Spider-Man 2099, the double shipping doesn't bother me, and I really like the direction they're taking Peter with Parker Industries right now, and I know Miguel is a part of that. I read a previous volume of 2099 when he first got stranded in the present, last year I think it was, but it never really got going. I'll also have a look at Moon Knight, I like that it has a direction now. I'll also add Ultimates to my pull list, I'd love to know more about that Higher Cosmic stuff!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJW009 View Post
    That's some great advice! I'll pick up Spider-Man 2099, the double shipping doesn't bother me, and I really like the direction they're taking Peter with Parker Industries right now, and I know Miguel is a part of that. I read a previous volume of 2099 when he first got stranded in the present, last year I think it was, but it never really got going. I'll also have a look at Moon Knight, I like that it has a direction now. I'll also add Ultimates to my pull list, I'd love to know more about that Higher Cosmic stuff!!
    I'm glad to have been of assistance! Personally I dropped TASM cause I've really gotten tired of Parker. Same old personality, same old goofs, same old hollier-than-thou attitude. I hope Ock comes back in "Dead No More" and Superior gets relaunched. Ah, that would be soooo great! Especially if Ock gets another body and we do away with the whole body-change/rape mess.

I'm glad to have been of assistance! Personally I dropped TASM cause I've really gotten tired of Parker. Same old personality, same old goofs, same old hollier-than-thou attitude. I hope Ock comes back in "Dead No More" and Superior gets relaunched. Ah, that would be soooo great! Especially if Ock gets another body and we do away with the whole body-change/rape mess.
    Ah well, even though I'm 23 and a long time Marvel fan, I only started reading the comics since 2012, so my first foray was Superior, so all things considered, I've not spent much time with Peter, I've got the same daft humour as him, use that humour to mask a lot of pain, and share his beliefs in fighting even harder when you can't fight anymore, and never giving up. The life I've lead, that appeals to me, because I HAVE to deal with those situations. Reading TASM, Ock is clearly coming back very soon, which is why I think it's not just one person coming back from the dead in Dead No More.

BANNED

Ah well, even though I'm 23 and a long time Marvel fan, I only started reading the comics since 2012, so my first foray was Superior, so all things considered, I've not spent much time with Peter, I've got the same daft humour as him, use that humour to mask a lot of pain, and share his beliefs in fighting even harder when you can't fight anymore, and never giving up. The life I've lead, that appeals to me, because I HAVE to deal with those situations. Reading TASM, Ock is clearly coming back very soon, which is why I think it's not just one person coming back from the dead in Dead No More.
    I used to like Parker for the very same reasons, but he's gotten a bit too much of a hypocrite for my tastes. I'm not sure if you're familiar with One More Day, where he made a deal with the Devil to save his (already dying) aunt. Past that, it's all gotten downhill for some fans. So yeah, personally I think I'm done with him. But I loved Ock as Spider-Man, so if he comes back and gets his own solo, I'll be very happy indeed!

Get Marvel Unlimited and read Claremont's Uncanny X-Men run. And Walt Simonson's Thor. Kurt Busiek's Avengers

I used to like Parker for the very same reasons, but he's gotten a bit too much of a hypocrite for my tastes. I'm not sure if you're familiar with One More Day, where he made a deal with the Devil to save his (already dying) aunt. Past that, it's all gotten downhill for some fans. So yeah, personally I think I'm done with him. But I loved Ock as Spider-Man, so if he comes back and gets his own solo, I'll be very happy indeed!
    I know of OMD, but not read it, it's clearly very controversial and a major mis-step, and I've heard opinions that the Spidey books are still recovering, but I think Slott has worked very hard to make up for OMD, and I'm hoping, with Petey being more mature and older, that the decisions behind that "reboot" of sorts, might not apply anymore, especially considering the success of the Spidey Secret Wars Book-Renew Your Vows? I didn't read it.

BANNED

I know of OMD, but not read it, it's clearly very controversial and a major mis-step, and I've heard opinions that the Spidey books are still recovering, but I think Slott has worked very hard to make up for OMD, and I'm hoping, with Petey being more mature and older, that the decisions behind that "reboot" of sorts, might not apply anymore, especially considering the success of the Spidey Secret Wars Book-Renew Your Vows? I didn't read it.
    The Spider-Books are kinda...eh. Some don't like the new direction, some have outgrown the "Parker Luck" thing and all that. They're not bad books per se, it's just that it's Spider-Man taking on batman Inc. Which is not a bad move, but seeing as we have no Venom, Scarlet Spider or Superior, us who want a less "whiny" Spider-Man are left without a book. Let's hope "Dead No More" changes that.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I love the criminally under-mentioned Iron Fist by Brubaker/Aja.

Oh, and maybe Powers. The show is... well... kinda... but it made me dig out the old comics.

Iron Fist is relatively short=cheap and the best action/adventure/pulp/kung-fu movie never made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post

Oh, and maybe Powers. The show is... well... kinda... but it made me dig out the old comics.

Iron Fist is relatively short=cheap and the best action/adventure/pulp/kung-fu movie never made.
    I still need to check out the Immortal series. I haven't read much Iron Fist since the 70s partnership with Power Man. Greatly looking forward to the Netflix

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post

That Iron Fist run is amazing front-to-back, even post Fraction/Brubaker. One of Marvel's best self-contained arc since 2000 along with Astonishing X-Men and Brubaker Cap/Bucky saga. It's that good.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

The Spider-Books are kinda...eh. Some don't like the new direction, some have outgrown the "Parker Luck" thing and all that. They're not bad books per se, it's just that it's Spider-Man taking on batman Inc. Which is not a bad move, but seeing as we have no Venom, Scarlet Spider or Superior, us who want a less "whiny" Spider-Man are left without a book. Let's hope "Dead No More" changes that.
    I'd love if Doc Ock had some way of existing on his own alongside Peter, maybe he's able to purloin a new body, that's not Peter or his, so only Peter knows who he really is, and after the inevitable initial conflict, perhaps we can take advantage of those traits you dislike so much about Peter, and he "allows" Ock to go off on his own to prove his own heroism, seeing as he came so close during Superior, which I think would fit into Peter's character, as he wants to see the best in people, when in all honesty he shouldn't.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    I still need to check out the Immortal series. I haven't read much Iron Fist since the 70s partnership with Power Man. Greatly looking forward to the Netflix
    As a concept Iron Fist is too weird for me to be interesting for a longer period, depending on who writes/draws him but that run was amazing. Danny's mystical training reminds me of The Shadow (Alec Baldwin) in all its pulp glory. Really liked that movie.

I'm looking for Doctor Strange recommendations (movie prep time) and am clueless. RoyThomas, Lee&Ditko seem to be favourites and Amazon has a lot of them.

Incredible Member

Although I picked it because I was more of Marvel's take on Dracula, check out DOCTOR STRANGE Vs. DRACULA: The Montesi Formula. Which collects Dracula's and Dr. Strange's first clash with one another. And the Montsei storyline in which Strange, and the remains of Quincy Harker's vampire hunters, Hannibal King, Frank drake, and last but not least Blade fight the Prince of Darkness to get a hold of the spell which could wipe vampires from the face of the Earth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The One and Only View Post
    Although I picked it because I was more of Marvel's take on Dracula, check out DOCTOR STRANGE Vs. DRACULA: The Montesi Formula. Which collects Dracula's and Dr. Strange's first clash with one another. And the Montsei storyline in which Strange, and the remains of Quincy Harker's vampire hunters, Hannibal King, Frank drake, and last but not least Blade fight the Prince of Darkness to get a hold of the spell which could wipe vampires from the face of the Earth.
    HUGE fan of Tomb of Dracula, in fact it was my favorite comic back in the 70s as a kid. To me the Wolfman/Colan/Palmer collab was one of the most monumental ever in comics.